July 11, 2019

Dear Future Husband,

I just did something absolutely crazy.

I just completely went against everything I have ever known about myself.

I just... wow.

Let me explain...

So as you knew I worked up the nerve to text Sasha, so I did it, like actually.

Hey Sasha, it's Alina :)

I totally thought the smile was overkill. Again, I didn't want it to seem like I was leading her on, or like I was overly excited, but I also didn't want it to be weird with just a bland greeting.

Alina who?

I panicked. Did she give me the wrong number to mess with me? Did she forget who I was already? What was going on?

Just kidding :P

Long time no see, beautiful Alina

I took a huge sigh of relief, smiling as I read the second text. It was definitely her, and she definitely still seemed interested, so I decided to take the next leap.

How about we grab coffee sometime?

I tapped nervously on the back of my phone with the rhythm of the dots in the response bubble, my heart beating out of my chest. I had never asked someone out before, and I was prepared for the rejection or acceptance.

I'll see you at 10 tomorrow. Starbucks

I felt like a giddy ten year old who had just been told her crush liked her back, and in a more real sense, that's exactly what this was. Did I have a crush on Sasha?

I was up all night that night thinking about her and what I was going to wear and I was just so excited and nervous and intrigued that I didn't get an hour of sleep. My stomach churned all night like someone had put vinegar and baking soda in it and I was just exploding.

That feeling carried over to the morning as I tried on eight hundred different outfits trying to decide what would look best for our date. Was it a date? Or were we just hanging out? Did she want it to be a date? Did I want it to be a date? There were so many questions I just couldn't find the answers to and I was dying for some explanations. I had never felt this way before, what was I supposed to expect?

At nine fifty I got into the car and drove downtown.

(Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I got my license yesterday! I've been so caught up in everything it completely went past me.)

It took me fifteen minutes to get there, but I figured it was better to be late than early, as eager as I was, I didn't want to seem too eager.

When I got there, she had already gotten a table and had a latte in her hands, smiling at me as I walked through the door.

I made her wait a little as I got my coffee to build the anticipation, as she had done to me a few days ago. Once I got it, I made my way over to the table and sat down across from her.

"I've got to say," She started, taking a sip of her drink. "I'm surprised you texted me."

"Me too." I said, sweat dripping out of my palms, making the outside of my cup moist.

"Well, either way I'm glad you did." She said, smiling at me. "You have incredible eyes."

I swallowed a hard lump in my throat. She's hitting on you. This is your chance, Alina. Get your flirt on! "I've lost myself so many times in yours, I don't have time to think about mine."