June 27, 2019

Dear my one and only,

I fucking hate Rick.

Today I was at my mom's minding my own business and chilling like I always did when she called a family meeting.

I laughed when I heard her say those words. Family meeting? We barely had family dinner. Did we even classify as a family? Regardless, I made my way into the kitchen just to see what bullshit they had planned for the so called meeting.

You should've seen it, my mom and Rick sat everyone down at the table with themselves at either end like the patriarch and matriarch and they got us all waters and put out chips like it was some casual business meeting.

Me, Jules, and April sat on one side of the table while Rick's two sons Garrett and Steven sat on the other. Garrett is a year younger than Alina and Steven is Jules age so needless to say, I'm not close with either of them and I never tried to be. I'm the only one in this house with my own room so I was never really forced to bond with anyone either.

"It's so nice to see everyone in one place," My mom started, smiling at all of us around the table. "We should have family dinners more often."

April laughed before I could, we both had that sibling bond that knew how much bullshit this was.

Rick shot us both dirty looks before clearing his throat. "Anyway, the reason we called you all here is to share a lot of news. First of all, Maria and I would like to have family meetings at least once a week and family dinners as often as we can. At these meetings we can all talk about what's been on our minds or upcoming things, or anything really. We just want to be involved in everyone's lives and hope you all want to be in each other's."

"When is my birthday?" I asked him, crossing my arms as I leaned back in my chair.

He blinked at me a few times, shifting around awkwardly in his seat. "Well... um..."

"Exactly." My mom chimes in trying to draw the attention from Rick. "We should take this as an opportunity for everyone to grow and bond together and really become a family."

"Hi," April piped up. "Sorry, not the dampen the mood or anything, but you guys have been dating— what, four months? Does this really qualify as a time to start forming the family?"

"Well that brings us to our second order of business." Rick said, smiling at mom from across the table. "This past weekend I proposed to Maria."

"And I said yes!" Mom said, grinning from ear to ear as she flashed us her left hand adorned with a fat ass diamond.

"What the fuck?!" I yelled. "Why the fuck would you do that?!"

"Grant! Watch your mouth." Mom scolded, her grin melting to a frown.

"Your mother makes me a very happy man and there is no other woman I would rather spend my life with." Rick argued.

"Is that what you said to Garrett and Steven's mom too?" April retorted back.

"Both of you stop it!" Mom said, tears crawling into her eyes. "We've both thought long and hard about this decision and it is final. Don't you care about our happiness?"

"What are you expecting us to do?" I asked. "Pick out the venue for your wedding? You've never even brought up the topic of marriage to us. Hell, I didn't think I was going to have to deal with Rick's second hand smoke for the rest of my life."

"You're getting ahead," Rick said. "The third order of business is that I'm quitting smoking."

I laughed. "Oh thank god, now I'll let you marry my mom."