April 13, 2019

Dear my starter,

It's finally the first Friday when I don't have a game and Alina does, which means ya boy is going to support his girl.

It had always worked out that whenever I had a game, she also had a game or practice at the same time and vice versa, excluding last week, so yeah, I guess you could say I was kind of excited.  I was really looking forward to seeing Alina play, even more so because she was nervous as hell about the whole thing.

"I probably won't even play." She kept telling me, trying to blow it off.

"Don't you start?" I asked, remember her bragging about how good she was a couple weeks ago.

"Yeah, but coach might not put me in, I mean, it's a pretty hard team so maybe he will have someone else play. It's just not worth going to."

"Then I'll go to watch you sit on the bench." I smiled at her as she rolled her eyes at me.

I went with a few of my friends, trying to rally a decently sized student section to support our lady Jags. Unless it was sectionals, no one really cared, which I thought was bullshit. The official damn student section should be good for something other than boys basketball, football, and lax.

I knew nothing about field hockey so I spent my entire study hall researching it so I could try to cheer at the right times and relate to Alina. I was just hoping I learned all the right stuff.

Me and my friends got a front row seat as they were wrapping up warm ups. Some of the girls that had come with us brought pom poms and face paint and dressed up in spirited school clothes. Me, I went wearing school colors and Alina's red sport headband thingy.

"Do I get to wear your jersey or something?" I asked her this morning.

She laughed. "I think it's a little too small for you, hon."

"Was that a fat joke?"

"I mean, you have been eating a lot." She said, nudging my stomach with the back of her hand.

"I'm serious though," I started. "You got to wear my jersey, what do I get to wear? And don't say it's only a girl thing because I'm going to get upset."

"I don't know," She sighed. "You could wear my Nike headband. I usually wear it at away games." She said, pulling a red dri fit headband out of her bag. "Hopefully it fits your fat head." She pulled it on over my head then back up so it sat just beyond the end of my hairline, a good chunk of hair sticking out the front while the rest was pushed back.

She covered her mouth as she laughed, the cute thing she always did when she actually genuinely thought something was funny. "Oh my god!"

I smiled, leaning in to kiss her softly. "I love it and I'm going to wear it all day."

I did wear it all through school and to the game, as uncomfortable and weird looking as it might've been, but I wore it proudly. Whenever someone would ask why I was wearing it, I would say "My girlfriend has a field hockey game today." They would just look at me like I was crazy, and I might be.

Contrary to what Alina had told me, she was a starting midfielder and got the ball passed to her first after the face off. She started to take it down the field but got swarmed by a couple defenders and was forced to make a quick pass to the side which unfortuneately got intercepted by an opponent and passed a few times before a goal was made.

It wasn't a great start to the game, or for watching Alina play for the first time, but there was still a lot of time, and I was nowhere near ready to give up her headband just yet.