July 18, 2019

Dear Future Wife,

Guess what?! I passed my first judgement dinner!

Yes, I'm going to tell you about it, of course I didn't want to spoil the final verdict, but I just can't keep it in anymore. I passed!

I went over last night and I was so nervous, you don't even know. My parents gave me a quick pep talk, reminding me of all the things they looked for and the right way to behave and how to twirl spaghetti. They found the fact that someone else had the same tradition as they did "Proof that smart people still exist in a world of Trumps and Danielle Bregoli's." I just say it's insanity.

Sasha picked me up and took me to her family's apartment downtown right in the heart of Seattle that overlooked the space needle. They were really in the middle of everything and I envied them for it.

"Relax, beautiful," Sasha said as she opened the door to the apartment. "You'll do great."

I was greeted by the smell of garlic and lemons, something you would smell on the way into heaven if you asked me.

Sasha's mom came out of the kitchen, large steak knife in one hand with a great big smile on her face, sending me two very mixed signals. Her face had a sort of hard kindness to it, the face that told you she meant business, but she would also bake you cookies. "You must be Alina," She said, tossing the knife into her left hand and offering me her right one to shake. "So nice to meet you finally."

"Nice to meet you as well, Mrs. Jang, how are you?" I said, replaying the greeting my parents told me to say.

"A little sore, a little tired, but I'm still standing right?" She laughed. "Ash, how about you and Alina set the table?"

She nodded. "Of course, Mom." She smiled at me, taking my hand and leading me into the kitchen.

She handed me a stack of plates then showed me to their dining room and I did my best to make each and every plate look like they belonged in a Michelin star restaurant. Maybe I freaked out too much, but I really wanted this to go well. If it was anything like my parents' dinners, it meant a lot.

After the table was set, I helped carrying in the food, which consisted of a hearty salmon, mashed potatoes, vegetables, and salad. Thank god it was something I actually liked. I could use a good meal to settle my nerves tonight.

"Sorry, Mr. Jang is running a bit late." Sasha's mom said as we sat down at the table which had four vacant seats. "Boys! Dinner!" She shouted.

A few moments later, two teenage boys who looked just like their mother entered the dining room, taking seats at the table.

"Julian, Maddox," Sasha began. "This is Alina. Alina, these are my brothers."

"Nice to meet you." I smiled at them. "How old are you guys?" I asked in the spirit of conversation.

"Eighteen." Julian answered. "Maddox is fourteen. You?"

"I'm sixteen." I answered.

"So you'll be a junior this year?" Her mom asked me.

I nodded. "It's going to be a big year."

"That's very exciting." She said. "Sasha loved last year. It was tough, but it's fun." I forgot to mention that Sasha is going to be a senior this year, but she goes to private school across town. She's probably going to graduate early this year while I still have a year left waiting for me. It was crazy to think about dating a highschool graduate while still in highschool myself.

"Mom, is Ameer coming tonight?" Sasha asked, eyeing an empty spot at the table.

Her mom's eyes lit up. "Oh my goodness! I almost forgot! Julian, go get your brother!"