Climbing The Wall's

Even though I was beyond livid with Aiden and my failed attempt at uncovering the truth I slept the entire flight home. This doesn't mean that I'm giving up, it just means I've got to devise a better plan.

When the plane landed, I was gruffly escorted off and left in the middle of the runway. The fucker could have at least arranged a car for me. Walking in toward the airport, I hailed a cab and instructed him to pull over a block from my building. Thankfully it was four in the morning so slipping in wouldn't be to big of a problem as most were still asleep.

Easing the door open to my apartment I did a quick scan and all the lights were still off. Stepping in, I padded quietly toward my room and was nearly there when I heard my name being whispered hissed. "Mizery? Where have you been?"

Oh fuck, I thought as I slowly turned around to see my mom standing in the kitchen entrance, gun in one hand and coffee in the other. I would've laughed if I hadn't been in the middle of getting busted. Mom flicked the dimmer switch on just enough to barely cause a yellow glow to illuminate my guilty as fuck face. "I could've killed you Mizery. I was sitting in the kitchen when I heard the door open. Get in here now".

It wasn't like I was scared or worried over being caught, I am an adult after all so what can they really do? "You want some coco baby?" Mom asked as she was already preparing it.

Giving a shrug, I slumped into a chair eager to get this over with. As she handed me the warm mug I saw her eye's rake over my clothing... Well technically Aiden's clothing. I still sore his t-shirt and boxer's. "Who is he Mizery?"

What is she talking about? Is she implying that I was out with a man? "Who is who?"

Rolling her eye's, she gave a exasperated sigh. "You just slunk into the house wearing some man's clothing Mizery. It's obvious that you're seeing someone. Now who is it?"

Hmmm... Maybe this isn't so bad afterall. If she thinks I'm just sneaking out to be with someone  I'll have a better excuse plus I won't have to explain what I'm really up to. "Ok, you caught me mom. Yes, I'm seeing someone but I'm not ready to share the details. Let me see how it goes first ok?"

Mom's face lit into a happy smile. "That's so good Mizery, I'm happy for you but I must ask, is he in the business?"

I knew that would be a big deal especially if I said he wasn't. My family has issue's with outsiders, not that I blame them. "Yes, mom he is. He's very trusted".

" good to know baby. I know you're smart and will choose well. Now, I know you are aware of what to do but let me remind you to be careful and always use protection ".

" I always have my dagger on me and an array of other weapons ". I said.

Mom chuckled. "Not that type of protection hun."

My face made a grimace as I understood what she was talking about and I don't know why but I pictured Aiden and I doing the deed. Makes logical sense that I would think of him, after all he is who I'm trying to hide from my mom but not in a romantic sense. "Mom. Stop right there. I know how to handle myself" .

"I know. Just a friendly reminder. I'm going back to bed now and I think it would be best if we kept this from your Pape for now". She said bending to kiss the top of my head before disappearing.

She was right about that, Pape would be put into fight mode if he knew that I had supposedly just came in from a hot date, not to mention wearing the guy's clothing and not my own. This entire scenario was quite laughable. Yes, I did see a man tonight but not in the way mom thinks. There was nothing romantic about beating the hell out of Aiden and trying my damnest to kill him. Furthermore, I have never been touched in that way by any man. I've never even been kissed, men just aren't in to me like that. My looks are plain and dull. I'm definitely not my mother or the other women in the family for sure. Men also find my aggressive nature a turn off and think I'm just too boyish. Besides I'm broken and no one wants a broken girl. My mind is broken, unrepairable and that's why I'm not worthy enough to be loved. No one wants a mental nutcase, no one wants me.

Not only do I come with an ugly face but a ugly mind. Secretly I hate myself for not being normal, being a beauty. I find it easier hiding in my hole in the wall picking myself apart than letting other's do it. Yes, I've heard my family comment on my extraordinary beauty many time's but they have to do that. It's like when a child sings and everyone knows they sound horrible but the parent's beam with pride and swear the child is destined for stardom. Or the saying, only a face a mother could love. Parent's tell us these lies because they love us and can't see through that wall of love to what we really are.

My point is that love is built on a foundation of lies and half truths or at least that is how I see it. Love is something I don't want and I will never feel. Yes, I love my family but that's different. I don't want to fall in love, that's being too vulnerable and open which makes me uncomfortable. Besides if I can't have a love like my grandparents or parent's share its just not worth it. I'm perfectly content without love and destined to be alone. I've made my peace with it.

My phone echoed out pulling me from my dark thoughts. Pulling it from my bag, I saw Aiden's now familiar number. Groaning, I answered nine to happily. "What?"

" What? Is that anyway to answer the phone, especially to the guy you set you free instead of locking you in his cell".

Snorting, I replied. "You set me free because of who I am, not out of kindness. Face it, you fear my family" .

"I fear no one Mizery. There's a difference between fear and respect. I respect your family, never confuse it".

" Why are you calling me Aiden? Are you that anxious for me to kill you? "

Laughing, Aiden replied. "You've had plenty of chances to snub me Miz, yet you can't seem to come through. Hmmmm... Why is that? Either you really do suck at all this mafia stuff and I'm better than you or maybe you just might like me".

" I suck. That's gotta be it because I definitely don't like you". I said flatly.

Aiden laughed. "Anyways, I was calling to see if you made it home without any problems. Seems like you did".

" No, no. I didn't. You see there's this asshole that I'm having a lot of problems with. He likes to hide thing's but I'm going to figure him out. I know he's holding information on my grandparents ".

" back to that again are we Mizzy? Okay fine. I spoke to your grandparents today. As a matter of fact they just left my place".

"What are you saying Aiden"? I asked piqued that he was telling me something finally.

" They said to tell you to stop putting your nose where it doesn't belong. They couldn't tell me much more because I freaked out and called Ghostbusters. I can't live with any ghosts".

"You fucker". I screamed as he laughed.

" Seriuosly Mizery, let this mess go. Bye babe".

The phone went dead and I sat there stewing. Never in my life had I wanted to slit someone's throat like his. Suddenly my Pape waltzed in and went to the fridge. "Morning baby".

" Morning ". I grummled.

Before I could say more my Pape slammed the fridge door. "I swear if she ate my leftover pie I'll slit her throat. Mirimosa". I Pape yelled as he took off to their room.

A few moments later I heard my mom laughing as she poorly denied having touched his pie. As I was listening to them go back and forth Dem ran in with haste. "Cole, get your ass out here".

My Pape came out with my mom trailing behind him. "What fucker? Bitch done ate my pie so my day isn't starting off to great".

Dem grinned. "Yea, that blueberry pie. Me and Miri split that thing. It was good too"

"Man fuck you and your sister. The fuck you here for anyways?"

" Damn, chill out period cramp. We got a situation. King just phoned from Vegas. Less tha five minutes ago the Marrittia's came under attack. We need to head that way so get the men together".

My ears instantly perked up at this news. I just talked to Aiden so it had to happen right after he hung up. Not thinking, I blurted out. "What about Aiden? Is he involved?"

Three sets of eye's settled on me in confusion. I could see the questions on their face. "Why?" My pape asked.

"No reason. I was just wondering if they attacked both homes. You know so Aiden could possibly help his father". I lied.

" don't worry about it". They both said and ran out.