He'll Come For Me

The rattling of the door knob awoke me from my restless slumber. With no indication of how long we've been locked away in this filthy, moldy room, I'm guessing it's been close to a week. Definitely long enough to take a toll on our health, mental as well as physical. The scorching heat drained us and we are probably borderline dehydrated. We are coughing a lot due to the dust and breathing in mold. Occasionally someone brings us a meager meal not even fit for a dog to eat and we are forced to share a bottle of water. However that bottle of water has came in handy. With the help of my Pape I have managed to collect water from the leaky pipe. No, it's not the best, it's slightly brown and tastes of old pipes but it's doing the job.

Shaking my Pape awake, I whispered. "Someone's coming".

Pape sat up with a cough but pulled me close. We watched as two men sauntered in carrying a tray that contained two peanut butter sandwiches on stale bread, a banana for us to share and a bottle of fresh water. The man extended the tray and I carefully reached for it. Just as it was near my grasp he pulled it from my reach. Laughing he said. "What will you do for this food?"

"I'll never be that hungry". I spat.

The other man laughed at my clear rejection which only infuriated the man holding the tray further. Gripping me by my hair, he jerked me up until my toes barely grazed the dirt floor. "Fact is I can take you right now if I wanted to and no one can do a damn thing about it".

Before I could react Pape had grasped the man and swiftly broke his neck. Pape then went after the other man but the door slung open and Marcus stepped in with a gun trained on us. Speaking to the other man he yelled. "You dumb fucks, didn't I tell you to not get too close to him. What part of he's deadly don't you get? Get this sack of shit up and out of here." .

The man quickly removed his dead friend and scampered off. Marcus turned his attention to my Pape as he continued to aim the gun at him. "You're amazing, I'll give you that. You have endured over two year's of this treatment, been beaten, nearly starved yet you are still as lethal, fast and a pain in my ass."

Pape smirked. "And you hate me for it. You hate that you was never good as me, that you wasn't the King and most importantly that you didn't have baby doll. Even still though, I was good to you, trusted you and saved your sorry life on more than one occasion and this is the thanks I get?"

"And every word you said just now is true. I hate you. Laney should have been mine but you returned and took her away. All those year's I had to sit and watch the two of you together but not anymore. Yes, you may be still strong after all of this suffering but I know your weaknesses, I know how to bring you to your knees. I allowed the queen to live for a few month's. In fact she was in this very room while you was upstairs being held. Bitch never would accept me but I'll tell you this... I now know why you kept coming back, couldn't leave her". Marcus paused to grin before continuing.

" I had her many time's before I killed her". Pointing his finger over to where where my Pape stood he went on. "She took her last breath right there. I stabbed her around fifty-seven time's but she fought me every step of the way, wasn't an easy feat. Funny thing about it was that I stabbed her using your knife, the one you kept in your black bag".

A roar of anguish ripped from my Pape's lungs and he sailed toward Marcus. Quickly Marcus skirted out of the door locking it behind him. Pape pounded the door with his fists and screamed in a rage. "I will kill you, that's a promise. You will die by my hand".

Eventually his voice became horse and he turned to stare at the spot that my mother had taken her last breath. On weak feet, he ambled over to the area and fell to his knees. Taking his hand, he scooped up a fistful of dirt and begin to weep. Hunching over he placed his face into his hands as his sobs echoed off the cement wall's. Inching over, I kneeled down beside of him offering comfort as my own tears fell. Never have I seen my Pape so distorted.

Many more hour's had went by as we dozed off and on in the heated room. Pape hasn't been the same since Marcus revealed the thing's he did to my mother. It was as if he killed my Pape with those word's. Still, he lays next to the spot where she left this world and hasn't said a word, his eye's vacant as he stares out into space. Rising, I went to take a sip of the foul water I had been collecting. As I grimaced at the taste, I was thankful for the coolness against my throat. Having my fill, I was making my way back to my resting spot when a soft tapping caught my attention. Stopping in my tracks, I listened intently. It seemed to be getting closer and louder. A smile creased my dirty face as I knew exactly what it was. Racing to my Pape's side, I said with excitement. "He's here Pape, he's here. Cole is here. I knew he would come for me. Get up Pape, we must be ready". I urged.

Rubbing his hand across the sacred spot, he slowly rose to his feet. Picking up the metal tray, I begin to bang the beat out in hopes of leading Cole to us. Gun fire begin but I held onto hope, Cole wouldn't let that stop him. Finally everything went silent and an inch of fear webbed itself around me. Suddenly the door splintered open and there he stood. Instantly I knew that he wasn't in his right mind but I didn't care. "Olive". I squealed and launched myself into his arm's.

To my surprise he hugged me back tightly then held me at arm's length. "You okay".

Nodding, I cried. "I am now".

At that moment Demarco and the other's bombarded the room. Dem was lauging. "Yo, numb nut that was some sick ass shit you did up there. You okay Miri?"

I only nodded as I clutched to Cole. Then it happened, Demarco saw Pape. "The fuck? What's going on?"

Then something none of us have ever witnessed happened. Demarco fell to the floor out stone cold. I crouched down to him as the other's crowded around Pape. Demarco slowly came to and I helped him to sit up. "Sis, what's going on?"

Pape approached us slowly. "Son".

" The fuck"? Demarco managed to say before he fell back out.

"Jesus Christ pussy". Cole said irritated. "Someone pick flower up and let's get the fuck outta here. This can be discussed at home".

Before I could take a step Cole whisked me up on his shoulder and fled the room. As we made our way out the carnage that was left behind was beastly. Cole's crazy was at an all time high. As we exited the house the other men were waiting by the car's. "Marcus is captured and on the way to the pit".

Then Pape emerged and an unexplainable silence befell the entire group. In the car Cole placed me on his lap and I knew I wouldn't be able to escape his sight for quite some time, not until his meds kicked in anyways. Demarco came to once again and looked in the back at Pape. "What's going on?"

Before Pape could speak, Demarco filtered back out and we all laughed.