Rekindled

"Please Aiden, call me back". I heard for the millionth time as I checked my messages.

Turning my phone off, I tossed it aside and placed my pointer fingers together creating a triangular shape as I held them to my chin. My mind was pulled in several different directions and the only thing I was absolutely sure about was that I was sick of the Harper's and sick of being done in by Mizery. Her father was right, it would take a special type of man to handle that girl and I wasn't sure that I was that man anymore.

I've nearly lost my life on more than one occasion simply because her mind plays tricks on her. I don't think it's worth it anymore. Is this the type of life I want to live? Wondering when she will doubt me again possibly landing me in deep shit. Do I really want to be her babysitter and ensure that her mental state is healthy? And what if we were to have children? They would be at risk of inheriting this hell she lives in. Do I want to risk having an unbalanced child? Just as she told me, her own mother recently divorced her father simply because she couldn't cope with his episode's any longer. Would that be us year's from now if I chose to stay?

No, the answer is no. I can't do this. It's best to get out now while I'm not obligated to her. I do love that girl but sometimes I have to think about myself and my future. It wouldn't be fair to either of us to continue forward when I can see what the outcome of our relationship would be. I will admit, Mizery Harper is deep in my system and it won't be easy to get over her but in time I will. It shouldn't be hard to do as long as I refuse any contact with her. My father removing his aide from the Harper's is also a bonus. There's a big chance now that I will never lay eye's on her again.

Just to show my determination on avoiding her and to help myself move on I knew that I needed to remain busy, occupied. Turning my phone back on, I searched my contacts until I found who I was looking for. Not hesitating too long, I hit the call button. After several rings I nearly gave up but finally I got a connection.

"Hello" A soft yet raspy voice echoed.

Smiling I spoke in an old fashioned manner. "Hazel Tornellia" .

A raspy laugh vibrated through the phone. "Aiden Marietta. Talk about a blast from the past". She teased.

Grinning, I replied. "I see you haven't lost your spunk peacock".

" Never" Hazel shot back sharper than a knife.

"And I haven't been called peacock in quite a long time". She said in that addictive raspy voice of hers.

Running my finger along the gold lettering of a book that laid upon my desk I thought of what to say next. "It has been a long time since we last spoken" .

"Nearly four year's to be exact". Hazel said in that thumb tack attitude of hers.

" so how's life been treating you Hazel? "

"Oh you know me.... I'm Hazel Tornellia. AKA wild child of the desert. Vegas sweetheart. She laughed in a soothing manner.

" that you are". I agreed through my own laughter recalling the wild time's we had shared in our youth.

Biting the bullet, I decided to dive right in. "Look Hazel, I know this is sudden but would you care to meet for dinner sometime?"

Without missing a beat she quickly replied. "Of course. When and where?"

" Is tonight too soon. Say sevenish? "

My office door decided to open just then and in stepped my father. Holding my hand up I indicated for him to wait a moment. "Tonight is great. I will meet you around seven at Castillo 's. It's a swanky new bar and grill. Great vibe about it".