Living With Your Mistake

"Some son of a bitch stole the weapons off of Stanton". My father exploded into my office slapping a fax down on my current paperwork.

Looking up stunned I asked. "What do you mean stole the weapons from him?"

" Exactly that. He no longer possesses the deed". My father said throwing his hands up in the air.

"Well has Stanton said who did this?"

" No, he can't. The bastard is dead. He was found in a storage room at the charity event with a stab wound to the neck and a missing hand. Apparently the one responsible swiped the deed to the weapons ".

" Jesus". I whistled.

We had wanted them weapons badly but decided to sit this event out. With something as valuable as those weapons there was sure to be high bids thrown on the table. One thing in this business is in order to have money you don't spend it... Well if you can. You see we had knowledge that Stanton was going to outbid everyone there no matter the price. Our plan was to sit this out and surprise attack Stanton when the weapons were delivered. Looks like someone beat us to the punch. "Now what?"

Running an aggravated hand through his hair, my father spoke. "Now we wait and watch. I'll inform the men to keep their eye's and ears open. Chances are with weapons this hot word will circulate quickly once they begin to hit the street's. Also I'll have a few men watch for any major deliveries at the normal smuggling ports. We will find this person and continue with our plan. We may might not get them all back but we will get some".

I sat back in thought and visualized the charity guest list in my mind. Even though we didn't attend it was important to know what kingpins would be there. There was only one name that stood out to me. "O'Mally. Seam O'Mally was there. I find it suspicious that he made a trip to America just for this event when he hasn't set foot here in nearly five year's" .

My father thought for a moment before nodding. "Clever but word is that he is out to kill his father's killer, however he will never figure out if was us. Our tracks are invisible. Anyways I'll have eye's put on him while he's here. O'Mally isn't our concern unless he does have the weapons" .

After my father left I tried to refocus on my work but it was pointless. Learning that the weapons were at large put a damper on my mood. For months we formed our air tight plan only for some other fuck to slip in and take what we wanted. Having enough of this crampy office I donned my suit for a pair of swim trunks. Nothing like a cool dip to erase my stress.

After several laps in the pool I plopped down in a lounge chair and sipped an ice cold beer. Out here by my pool was the most peaceful spot that my house boasted. When out here it was if the world had left you behind. As I closed my eye's and begin to drift off a sudden memory flooded my mind. It was in this very chair that Mizery was vulnerable to me for the first time. She had finally defied her Papes wishes and ran to me. Heartbroken over his treatment of her, she fell into my arm's and allowed me to soothe her. Before I could recall more a sharp voice penetrated my peacefulness. "Hello love. My day at the spa was wonderful thanks to you". Hazel chirped.

Smiling, I spoke. "I'm glad to hear that".

" It was so nice not having the men hovering over me. I felt truly free. It's great being under your protection and not having to worry about the Harper's anymore. Those were some stressful year's worrying that they would catch up to my family". She laughed as she grabbed a beer from the pool house.

Sitting up in disbelief as to what I was hearing I asked. "What are you talking about Hazel?"

Furrowing her brows she gave me an odd look and laughed. "Oh come on Aiden, don't act as if you didn't know. Hell even Mizery blurted it out during the attack."

" Are you saying that it's true? That you was in on her grandparents murder? " I asked angrily.

"Geez Aiden, you really didn't know?" She stated befundled.

" I assumed Mizery was wrong, lying. Fuck, she was accusing me every time I blinked. I figured it was the same with you".

Hazel broke out in pails of laughter. "That is too funny. Really Aiden, I even admitted it to her that day. Where was you?"

" I heard that but I assumed that you was just babbling out of fear. "

Still laughing she shook her head no. "Aiden, I knew about the entire ambush".

I sat there in stone silence as I absorbed Hazel's word's and what they meant. Springing from my chair I gripped her by the arm jerking her up. "What the Hell Aiden?" She hissed angerily.

" do you know what you just admitted to? Mizery was right about you. I assumed she was just being her crazy, finger pointing self but she was right. I should hand you over to her complete with a bow". I growled.

"What are you saying Aiden? I'm your wife. You can't do that". Hazel said fearfully.

" This entire time you knew the truth. You knew the deceit of your family but never once discussed it with me". I accused.

"Aiden, listen to yourself. You're acting like I pulled the trigger. I had nothing to do with it. Yes, I was aware of the planned attack but I wasn't apart of it. My father was, not me. I'm not guilty of anything but knowing" . She wailed.

"Yet you didn't try to prevent it did you?" I snarled.

"How was I supposed to do that. I simply just didn't care. It wasn't my family under attack. Besides everyone wanted the Harper's gone" . She yelled.

Placing my hand around her throat I squeezed slightly, enough to stir fear. "Was you aware that the next step in that plan was to end the Marritta's next? Huh? Was you Hazel?"

" Yes". Hazel screamed. "But it didn't happen did it?"

" So that makes it okay? You tell me you love me everyday yet was willing to let this happen to my family? "

"That was before Aiden, not now."

" Fuck, Hazel we were friend's then".

"Yes, but I couldn't disobey. I'm sorry Aiden and I do love you, believe me. I don't understand why you are so upset. Unless you're still harboring feelings for that crazy lunatic" . She spat.

Crack. My hand instantly shot out and landed upon her cheek. "Don't talk of her that way. You don't know a damn thing about her. In fact you make me sick. Get the hell out of my sight". I growled shoving her away.

I watched as Hazel scampered inside and I notified my men to keep eye's on her at all time's. She wasn't allowed to leave the premises. Taking a seat, I grabbed another beer as I wondered what my next step should be.