Not In The Card's

Having enough of being tucked away in this safe room, I left against Sam's protests. Yes, we knew the men were okay and were seeking the one's responsible and yes we knew that my mother was missing. Before the men set off on this mission they did inform us. Of course I insisted on joining them but my Pape as well as my uncle forbade it. In return that only made my nerves crawl more. I was beyond prepared for such an event and they damn well knew it. However in their eye's I was just a young girl and not capable of going into the field.

It's been hours since they departed and we have heard no word. So yes, I left the safe room to investigate. As I neared the Den the stench of death hung in the air and dead bodies littered the floor. A bit of remorse crept in as I recognized some of our men amongst the dead. Stepping over the corpses, I finally entered the Den and was taken by surprise. Never have I seen this place so quiet and empty, It was like a ghost town. Soon as they returned I'm sure they would get to work on cleaning the place up and making needed repairs.

Taking a seat at the bar, I waited anxiously for their return. As I waited every awful scenario played out in my mind. My fingernails were nubs by the time I heard the creak of a door being opened followed my voices and shuffling feet. Jumping off the stool, I raced toward them. First I greeted my Pape who held my mother in his arm's. "Are you okay?" I asked with worry.

" yes baby. ". She managed to say before Pape whisked her away.

I knew in his current state of mind it would be hard to get near her. He's in his crazy protective mode and and when he's like that he views everyone as a threat. However i knew mom would be safe with him. was watched as the elevator swallowed them up and then turned to see Demarco being carried in by a few men. Rushing over I exclaimed. "Is he hurt?"

The men snickered. "Hardly. Just a bit yellow bellied".

They placed Dem on a bench to recover but who I seen enter next made my knees nearly buckle. I stood staring at him trying to make sense of what I was seeing. "G dad?" I muttered.

Briskly he walked toward me and pulled me into his arm's placing my head against his shoulder. "My Mizery". He purred.

" I-I don't understand? "

"Shhhh.... You will in time. Go help your parent's and I'll tell you all about it in the morning".

I looked into his eye's with hope. "G mama?"

His eye's clouded over and he looked down and slowly shook his head no. A dry gasp flew from my mouth as he gripped me tighter. As I peered over his shoulder I saw Marcus being drug in and taken to the pit. "What's going on?" I asked confused .

"Please Mizery, go home. You will learn of everything tomorrow" .

I knew that he was weary and decided not to argue. Then another thought hit me. "Aiden, where is Aiden?"

G-dad gave me a strange look and I knew he wasn't aware of my and Aiden's relationship. I looked over to CJ and the twins for answers as my heart begin to panic thinking he had gotten hurt or worse. "Where is he?" I demanded to know.

About that time Demarco walked up having awoke. "He's in the pit where he belongs. He came clean Mizery. It was Jax and Marcus who planned this. The Marritta's were working for them".

I shook my head slowly and started backing away. I was aware that Aiden was working with Jax but I was lead to believe it was all under very different circumstances. "No, you're wrong. Severo wanted to merge the families to keep us all safe. The Marrita's wouldn't do this to us, Aiden wouldn't do this to me".

" I'm sorry Mizery but it's true. Once everything settles down here and the building cleaned I will be summoning Severo and investigating further. "

My G dad spoke up. "Miz, I know this is hard but trust your uncle on this. I know first hand what their plan was. They wanted all the men dead and wanted to keep the women alive just to breed with them and continue the Harper bloodline. As sick as that sounds, it's the truth".

G dad could see the confusion, hurt and worry etched in my face. Pulling me close, he whispered in my ear. "I promise I will not allow any harm to come to Aiden until we are done investigating. Now go rest".

Slowly I nodded. I knew that I could trust my G dad. However I had to see Aiden. I had to know the truth and hear it from his lips. Taking off as if I were going to bed as G dad insisted, I made my way to the pit. As I opened the door the smell of burnt flesh filled my nostrils and I guessed that Jax didn't fair well down here. I then spotted Marcus chained to the wall. "Mizery, please listen. Let me go. This is all a misunderstanding. I'd never hurt or betray any of you".

One thing I wasn't was stupid. G dad would never convict anyone much less Marcus of such atrocities if he did have the stone cold truth. Before I could reply back a very familiar voice echoed through the room. "Don't listen to him Mizery. He's lying".

Turning my brutal gaze toward the voice, I saw Aiden strapped down to a chair. My heart hurt at the sight but my mind told me to proceed with caution. Stepping closer to Aiden the only word I could summon to say was. "Why?"

" wildflower it's not true. You've got to trust me".

"But I know that Jax was one of the masked people that you worked for. You told me yourself that the families must merge for our own protection so they wanted us to marry. I now know that they planned to kill the men of my family and breed with the Harper women. Was that what you wanted Aiden, just to breed with me for my bloodline?"

" Fuck no Mizery, never. These bastards lied to us as well. I swear we had no part in your grandparents death or any of this. We were under the impression that we were helping, not hurting or betraying anyone".

A cold laugh erupted from me. "My grandfather lives Aiden. Marcus had him as well all of this time. Funny thing about it is my grandfather believes the Marritta's are guilty. He knows it all having been locked away by the masked people all of this time. That bastard chained up over there still murdered my grandmother though. That can never be forgiven."

" Mizery you know me, you know I'd never do this. I fucking love you. When my father gets here he'll make you see it's all a lie, that we never meant harm. Don't you see? They are getting what they want. Their plan is coming to fruitation regardless if you kill them or not. They want the two strongest families to fight and destroy each other, end each other. They had the perfect plan. Don't see it through Mizery, don't help them. Free me".

I shook my head viciously trying to dispel the voices. All of this was to much to digest for my mind. Aiden locked up possibly facing death for betraying us, G dad alive, Marcus and Jax behind it all, tonight's attack and me shutting down. "I can't Aiden. Truth is that I don't know who I can trust anymore myself included."

" you can trust me Mizery, you know you can".

Tears threatened my eye's. "I'm sorry Aiden but I can't" .

Anger distorted his features. "After all we have been through you still can't trust me? If that's the case then your love for me was a lie. If you can't trust someone you can't fully love them. When my father gets here and proves our innocence and that he will, you are dead to me. If you can so easily turn your back on me right now then you're not the queen I desire, you're not worthy of me. Get the fuck out of here and take your voices with you".

Shocked and baffled, I ran from the pit and back to where the men were all gathered around my G dad listening to his tale. Demarco was latched to his side still in disbelief yet saddened to hear that his mother didn't survive.

I thought I was alone before I loved Aiden but I was wrong. I'd never felt so alone than I did at this very moment.