Etched In Sand

For the past twenty minutes I've been calling Miri's phone and continue to get the same result.... Voicemail. Mizery as well as Dem have tried as well assuming she just might not be accepting my calls.

I know she left tonight mad and upset by my word's and seeing me with Veronica so I'm hoping she's just not wanting to speak to anyone at the moment and it's not anything bad. I really don't need this right now with me just beginning to get better. I've came a long way this time and don't need any setbacks and trust and believe if anything has happened to that woman.... No pill will keep my crazy locked away.

Yes, I'm praying that she's just upset over tonight and needing some alone time but her timing couldn't be any more off as of right now. I wasn't trying to be cruel tonight, I was just being honest. I'm giving her what she asked for, her freedom. Not in a million year's would I ever dream of leaving my baby girl but deep down I knew she was right. I haven't been a bowl of cherries, more like a bowl of warhead sour candies. Her life with me wasn't easy and I was a burden to her. It was unfair to continue to put her through this any longer so I let go, set her free. Letting her be was by far the hardest thing I've ever done in my life and I've done some risky shit. Isn't that what they claim of you love something and it doesn't love you back you should set it free. I'm simply giving her what she asked for because that's how deep my love is for Miri.

As far as Veronica goes, she's just a play thing. A way to pass time. Veronica nor any other woman will never compare or take baby girl's place. I'm doing this for her as well as my kid's and myself. I'm serious this time and I will do whatever it takes to stay well and be a better man. Yes, some days are harder than other's but when I picture myself putting that gun in Miri's mouth and thinking what the outcome could have been, I take my meds willingly.

My eye's kept watching the clock as every excruciating minute passed with no word from Miri. Her apartment had been checked as well as a few other locations she may have visited but nothing, no trace. I could feel my panic rising and was thinking about searching myself when Demarco's phone rung. As I watched him speak I could see an onslaught of emotions filter across his face. As he hung up the phone he looked directly at me. "Her car was found at my parent's country home. The men were dead and there's no sign of her". He said grimily.

My heart constricted as my breathing became rapid. The voices that I've been maintaining so well slammed against the back of my forehead in a warrior scream. No, no medicine can contain this right now. My crazy was back and back with a vengeance. Jerking Demarcos phone from his hands I called his men back. "Nobody fucking move or touch a God damn thing until I get there to look myself. If you do you'll beg for death before I'm done with you".

Tossing Demarco's phone back at him, I strode out the door not bothering to load up on weapons. If Miri is harmed I won't need any weapons to do what I need to do. I didn't tell Dem or the other's where I was going or anything but heading the shuffling of feet coming from behind me told me that they were following. Not bothering to load up in the same car with them, I chose my car. It would definitely get me there faster than any SUV.

Leaving the parking garage in a blaze of spinning tires, I whirled right out in front of traffic and heard screeching tires as well as several pissed off horns honking but never mind that, I was on a mission. Just so happens that I would offend many more drivers on the way to the Harper's country home. Not yielding for any red light's, zipping in and out of lanes, I made the trip in nearly forty-five minutes. I had long ago left the many SUV's loaded with the other's behind but I knew they'd be here soon.

As I stepped from my car a few men greeted me. "Show me what you got?"

They led me to Miri's car where the driver laid slumped over the steering wheel with a slit throat and the other man rested limply against the outside of the car, a bullet hole between his eye's. "Check for bullet casings and fingerprint the car". I instructed as I made my way toward the front door.

" We have reason to believe that Mirimosa never entered the house". One of the men called after me.

Spinning around on my heel I hissed. "And just what is your reasoning?"

" the house is still locked up and her belongings are in the car". Was my answer.

"Check her phone for any suspicious activity as well". I barked.

From what the men think Miri may have been attacked while still in or near the car but I had a feeling come over me that said that just isn't so. Taking a moment to think, I looked out across the land and saw the gravesite of the Harper's. Instantly I knew that Miri was not in or near the car. Ordering the men to stay back, I took slow steps toward the depressing headstone. As I walked I took in every blade of grass looking for a sign of where she had stepped.

Suddenly something shiny caught my eye's amongst the lush grass. Bending down for a closer look, I discovered bullet casings. My heart sped up as I felt fear for the first time in my life. Upon closer inspection, I discovered many more casings. Slowly, I treaded closer to the marble stone erected in the King and Queens remembrance. What I saw when I finally reached that sacred spot made the back of my eye's sting. There amongst the flowers that grew was my baby girl's bracelett, the bracelett that her Pape gave her many year's ago. What struck me as odd was the fact that she hadn't worn it in quite awhile. Miri claimed that it held too much sadness for her.

Thinking hard, I tried to recall if she had it on when I saw her earlier tonight but couldn't remember. Picking it up, I slid it into my coat pocket and saw something else that shattered my soul. A sound mixed between a warrior's call and an anguished wail ripped from between my lips and echoed off the night sky. There, planted in the soft dirt that outlined the base of the headstone was Miri's delicate hand print but that's not all. A few speckles of blood decorated the area as well. My baby girl was hurt, possibly worse.

Gently I placed my large hand onto her much smaller print and whispered as a year leaked from my eye. "You go, I go. You go, I go baby girl".

My head dropped as my emotions consumed me. A soft pat on my shoulder brought me back to the here and now and I heard Demarco's voice. "We will find her and I promise the one's responsible for this will suffer".

Gripping the dirt where her hand print rested, I insisted someone bring me a baggy. In moments my needs were met and I scooped the precious sand up into the bag then tucked it into my breast pocket where it rested over my heart.

Painfully, I rode to a standing position. Just as I was about to turn and begin the hunt I spied something else a few feet away. Over in the grass seemed to be an area pressed into the grass where a body may have laid. Walking over to inspect the area, Demarco fell in step beside me. Sure enough, it was obvious that a body had laid here and judging by the size it was a male. A glimmer caught my eye as well as Demarco's at the same time. Bending for a better look we both discovered something that made our skin crawl..... London's knife. One that he carried on a regular basis.

Slowly Demarco and I turned to look at each other but neither wanting to say what we were thinking.

Another revealing chapter! Hope you enjoyed!

Who do you think has Miri?

Is Miri even alive anymore?

How will Cole react when and if he finds the people responsible?

What's your thoughts about the masked one's now? (Even though they haven't been mentioned recently)

What do you think Demarco and Cole are thinking about what they discovered?

Until next time love's!!