Prove Your Worth

One thing that I've learned about trust is that it only runs so deep. I trust my family and no one else. Trust gets you hurt.

Trust gets you killed and trust fucks your head up. I trust Seam no further than I can spit and I can't spit very far if that tells you anything. I'm not saying Seam is out to get me but after my experience with Aiden my guard is up. Hell, my guard is made of bullet proof glass, no one gets inside. Some may ask then why go through all of this trouble if this is how you feel? Well, even though my emotions are protected by barb wire I still need to live. I still need to have fun and maybe even play. Besides Seam is a safe bet, he'll be leaving the country in a few day's so chances are he just wants to play as well. There you have it, no strings attached, no promises, no disappointments.

Even though my men are close by, I selected one of my families restaurants. Seam would be crazy to try anything shady on Harper territory.

I slowly walked into the restaurant battling second thoughts and was just about to flee when I caught sight of him. He was leaned casually against the bar as if he didn't have a care in the world. His fingers flicked a lighter continuously and I watched the flame appear and disappear. Removing my eye's from the flame I caught his devilish smirk set in me. Returning my own shit eating grin, I started to approach him. As I stopped before him he glanced at his watch. "Five minutes late. Not a good sign for a first date". He chided.

Slipping onto the stool bedside him, I took my time ordering my drink making him wait before I acknowledge him. Grabbing up the menu, I pretended to look it over and I spoke  never removing my eye's from the specials. "First, I'm on no one's clock. Second, this is not a date. Now that we have that cleared up I suggest you order your food. My time is precious so don't waste it".

Seam let out a belly laugh and plucked the menu up. "A girl that knows what she wants. Such a turn on" .

After placing our orders I turned my body toward him. "So, tell me about your little Empire back in Ireland? What makes it so important?"

Taking a sip of his gin, he shrugged. "Many thing's. Like the Harper's we dabble in it all. We are the largest and strongest in our territory."

" is that still so after your father's death? "

Suddenly it seemed as if he was trying to mask irritation but he answered anyways. "Naturally at first his murder weakened us. We were mourning and our minds wasn't on our work. Many other organizations tried to overcome us while we were down but we prevailed in the end. It took time but we built our name back up and thing's are running smoothly again. I will admit most of the mess ups were my fault. I was young and not only dealing with grief but this mountain of responsibility was suddenly heaped on me. Yes, my father had trained me well but the reality of it was quite different. I was making mistakes on the regular but I owned up to them and fixed them. I pulled us out of our slump and now we are thriving once again. My only mission right now is to avenge my father's murder".

" I understand completely ". I mumbled more to myself.

" Yes, I heard of the Harper's tragedy. I'm sorry". He said lightly touching the top of my hand.

Instantly I removed my hand and changed the subject. "So any leads on whom may be responsible for your father's death?"

Pretending that my sudden hand jerk hadn't insulted him he blew his breath out. "There's a few suspects but no hardcore evidence at this point".

Nodding, I asked. "And who might they be?"

He laughed. "Nosey little thing aren't you?"

" I prefer inquisitive. Besides I might be able to help you".