Newlyweds

We returned home from our Honeymoon just a few day's ago and I've been swamped with work since I stepped back into my home. I must admit married life has been a big adjustment. My parent's both tried to insist that I wait longer, not because they didn't like Hazel but because they felt as if I was rushing in. That may be so but I don't think I've made a mistake. Hazel was a good, smart choice... A safe choice.

Not that I don't care for her, I do but it's not the same feeling that I experienced with Mizery. Sometimes I get the sense that Hazel knows this but hasn't addressed it. Many would say that I'm wrong and I can't disagree but tying myself to someone else was the only way to escape Mizery. She still crosses my mind and in my wedding day I nearly didn't show up from having last minute thoughts. Some might even say that I never truly loved Mizery because I could move on so quickly but they don't know my heart so their opinions are irrelevant. They don't understand my hurt or pain or they just refuse to see it due to having a one track mind.

Time after time I had to look into the eye's of the woman I loved and watch her accuse me of betrayal, disloyalty or plotting against her. Each time it ripped a piece of my heart away. Yes, I understand that her illness was the root cause of her actions and beyond her control but how much more should my heart have to suffer? How many more Harper beatings would I need to endure simply because the woman I loved trusted me so little and never had my back?

I'm aware that my walking away from Mizery probably hurt her, I own up to that but it wasn't fair to me either. I came to realize that this wouldn't be the last time that Mizery probably would turn her back on me. Anytime in the future that something would occur in her mind I would always be a suspect. Should I just stand by and wait for the next time and possibly be killed? No, I don't think anyone would. Once again I know that her illness is to blame and for her sake I hope one day she is able to overcome it but for now I rather enjoy living.

With all of this said, let me clear up a few misleading thoughts. I didn't leave Mizery because I came to the conclusion that her illness was too much for me. I actually prided myself in helping her through some tough times. I'll never forget the first time she asked for me during an episode instead of her Pape. My heart swelled at knowing that she felt safe with me and that it was me that she wanted. I left because I was emotionally and mentally exhausted. Everyone always lends sympathy to the one with the illness but never stops to think what their caregiver may be going through. In a way what I went through with Mizery was mentally abusing. It was like a game of hot and cold. Some days she trusted me completely but other's I'd wake up and suddenly be the enemy once again. Yes, I know I'm the beginning I did hide thing's from her but in my defense we were from separate famlies. I wasn't at liberty to reveal these thing's to anyone. I didn't intentionally lie to her, it was business. Naturally when it all blew up it did look as if my family was working for Marcus and Jax, I can understand why they thought that but it hurt knowing that Mizery would think that way too.  Point is even if you love someone it doesn't mean you should be together. I would always bring out the worse in Mizery simply because I was a Marietta and she a Harper.... Two lover's from two very different world's that gave it a try but failed. Mizery will always hold a place in my heart.

Upon my return, I was told that Mizery is doing some work within her family now and I wish her all the best. Glancing at my watch I noticed the time and remembered that I promised to meet Hazel for lunch. She's been complaining that since our return I've done nothing but work and haven't spent anytime with her. Standing, I grabbed my phone and key's.

The ride to the city went by rather fast and I spotted Hazel sitting outside on the restaurants patio with a drink in hand. She smiled as I approached and I bent down giving her a peck on the lips. "I was beginning to wonder about you". She joked.

" Time slipped up on me". I replied then placed my order.

"How's work going?" She asked.

" Tough. The more I try to catch up the futher I get behind". I sighed.

She laughed. "Well hopefully after this break you can return with a fresh mind".

" how's your day going? " I asked.

"Well I left the office earlier than I intended even though I probably shouldn't have. Like you, I'm playing catch up and Father isn't cutting me any slack. He's working on a major weapons trade and in a tailspin. Supposedly a potential new client from Columbia is asking for a shipment and he's running mad trying to investigate them to make sure it isn't a set up or a bust. The thing is that we can find any hardcore info on this person or person's and the deal is too good to pass up".

"Who are they? I might be able to uncover something" . I offered.

Hazel laughed out loud. "You know I can't say. Father would flip his kid if I told you anything" .

I nodded my understanding as she changed the subject up. "Anyways I left early to stop by a furniture store. I was thinking of redecorating the house?" She eyed me skeptical .

"Do as you please". I shrugged.

" on that note, I was actually going to discuss possibly moving closer to the city and my family".

"Now you're pushing it". I half laughed.

" Okay. We will discuss that later. By the way, Father told me that the great meeting is coming up".

"Yes, I'm aware".

" Oh. Father is going to attend this year. Are we? "

"We are planning to but don't feel obligated to join me if you don't want to".

Hazel tossed her head back and laughed. "Are you kidding me? And miss the chance of being escorted in by one of the most powerful men in the business who happens to be my husband. I have a find memory of one of the meetings when I was a older teen. It was my first time attending and I can recall when the Harper's arrived. Never had I seen so many black suits surrounding a family before but what amazed me was the center circle they constructed. Like a bullseye's Laney was dead center being protected to the fullest. London never removed his eye's from her. I knew then that's the kind of love I wanted".

Shrugging, I said. "Get your head out of the clouds kid."

" Well, I was thinking, can we make a similar entrance? "

I laughed. "My father will never go for that. Trust me, you will be well protected but my mother is my father's main concern. She will be the one heavily guarded".

Hazel sat back with a pout before changing up again and I felt like she was being spiteful now. "Are you aware that Mizery will be attending as well as speaking?"

" Yes, I am".

"So full me in. I'm sure I'll meet her this time so I need to know what to.expect" .

I found myself growing irritated. "Best advice I can give you is to stay away. Mizery isn't the one for chit chat or friendly conversation. She's extremely dangerous and with the others by her side it's like a minefield. Tread carefully".

"Im sorry Aiden but I'm just curious about the first woman you loved, who hurt you. I want to know what it was that drew you to her. Sometimes I feel like you still.think of her and I just need to know" .

I gripped Hazel's hand. "You're worrying for nothing. I can assure you that I never think of Mizery Harper".