Coming Back

My heart was racing and for the first time in my life I felt fear, bone aching fear. The curtains blew in the cold breeze yet there was no sign of my daughter. Inching closer on feet as heavy as concrete, I feared what I may see when I looked out that window. Tears were already burning the back of my eyelids and I found myself praying mentally. I begged that my baby girl hadn't harmed herself. That she hadn't given up and let the voices have her. I prayed that she was still hanging on and I could love her back to herself.

Placing my hands on the window sill, I had to work up the courage to look out. Never in my life had I ever needed to work up courage for anything. But I can tell you this... If my child is lying lifeless down below I might as well jump myself. I'd never come out of the darkness after this.

Finally i poked my head out and looked down but my eye's remained closed. Slowly I peeled them open and stared down but saw nothing. I was relieved yet mind boggled. I scoured the ground below for the grizzly scene I half expected but there was nothing. Then a soft sniffle caught my attention and I turned my head to the right. There she was, perched on the ledge like an angel. Tears streamed her face as she seemed to be tormented about possibly jumping. In a voice laced with fear, I spoke softly. "Mizery, baby girl come to me".

Mizery didn't look at me as she slowly shook her head. "I can't Pape. It's better this way. I found out how to make the voices stop. I just need to end it and I'll finally be free".

" No baby girl. Don't talk like that. We need you here with us. I promise it will get better. I need you Mizery. You can't leave me to face this alone. You go, I go".

"It hurts so bad Pape. I just want it to stop". She sobbed and my heart broke.

" Please baby, come to me. We will fix this. We love you".

"He's right Miz" I heard Demarco say behind me.

Turning I saw the entire family crowded in the room with Miri held tightly by Sam. Obviously Miri had woken and found us this way and called the family for help.

"Come on Miz. You can't leave us. Who else am I going to pester". Dem added.

CJ stepped up. "Please sis. You have always been the one to take the heat off of my ass when I did stupid shit. Without you Pape will eat me alive".

Alice joined him. "Mizery your not just family you're my best friend. Tia definitely won't watch movies with me. I need you girl".

Then London stepped up and nudged me aside. Before we could react he hopped out into the ledge and slowly approached Mizery. "Don't do this to me Miz. I've lost so much already, no more. You know your stronger than this. You know why?"

" Why"?

"Because you are half of her. You're more like your grandmother than you know. When you was born she would rock you and say you was going to be something special. She was right Miz. You can fight this and you're not alone. Everyone is waiting for you in you're room. Take my hand and come in".

London stretched his hand out and my breath hitched as Mizery grasped it. Within moments Mizery was inside safe. Instantly I wrapped her in my arm's as everyone gathered around. It wasn't long before she was pulled from me and in the arm's of Demarco then her mother. Eventually the whole family had a moment with her. Afterwards we all found ourselves in London's old apartment huddled in the living room with blankets and pillows. Demarco even brought his special ice cream over to share with everyone as we watched an old movie. I guess you could say it was a family sleepover but what I really believe is that with Mizery's close call, London's return and the fact that Laney didn't make it we all wanted to be close and draw comfort from each other.

The next morning I had bars placed on all of the windows and caught Miri at the kitchen with a cup of coffee. She seemed so stressed and worried and I realized I hadn't checked in her since last night's events. "You doing okay?"

Miri nodded and I could see how tired she was. "Get some rest. Mizery is with your father and I'll take her to the doctor later".

Her only reply was a single year drop from her eye. Moving quickly, I pulled her to me. "It's all better now baby girl".

" Olive do you realize she nearly... "

She cut herself off unable to finish her sentence. "I do and I swear it will never happen again. I'm having bars installed now and with the help of the family and treatment she'll beat this".

Hugging her tighter it felt good to feel her arm's around me. My entire body relaxed and I was about to attempt to get a kiss when my phone rang. Miri instantly froze knowing who the caller was and jerked from my arm's. "I'm going to lie down". She snapped.

Later that day I had my chance to talk to Mizery. "Pape I don't want to feel like this anymore. I'm really going to try and overcome this".

" I'll even join you". I added.

                                                       ***********************

Three months later

I had just picked Mizery up from her latest appointment with her therapist and I must admit she's doing well. Slipping in the car there was a certain spunk about her and she was smiling. "I've been doing some thinking Pape".

" And"? I laughed.

"I'm ready to take more on in the business. I'm ready to start making my own deals and such".

I nodded. "I'm sure we can make that happen but I must ask.why the sudden interest?"

" I feels it's time I take more responsibility on. Plus I think it will help my healing. I'm ready to claim my title".

"Well let me speak to your mother first and we will go from there".

" Oh, and another thing, I want to help people like me. You know, take my negatives and turn them into positives. I feel like I could help those who suffer".

"I think that's a splendid idea baby girl. We'll check into that" .

Once home Mizery ran off to meet with Tia and I returned home. Since Mizery's bad episode Miri had allowed me to move back in but there's nothing romantic about it. I get the guest room. I think Miri feels better having me there during Mizery's healing. Occasionally we do share dinner or watch t.v. Together but nothing more. When my phone rings however her cold glare doesn't go unnoticed but she has yet to say anything, even when I stay out late. Then it happened, I had just came from the shower and was walking through the house with a towel wrapped about my hips. Midi was busy in the kitchen when I popped in for some juice. Not knowing I was there she bumped into me. Her eye's lingered over my bare chest and abs. "Jesus Cole, put some clothes on".

" Does it bother you? " I teased.

"Hardly. I've seen much more than that".

I grinned. "You want me".

Miri laughed tartly. "Not on your life".

I stepped closer crowding her space. "Stop lying. You know you do".

" been there, done that. No thanks".

Leaning down inches from her face I whispered. "You know I could bend you over the table right now and there's not a damn thing you could do about it".

Miri smirked. "Try me and find out".

My lips moved closer to here and I could sense that she was anticipating the kiss. That was until my phone buzzed breaking the moment. Miri sneered and to my surprise popped me on my cheek. "Never try that again. Now answer your phone. I'm sure it's her"

I laughed out loud as she stomped from the room. Yea, Veronica really got under her skin.

Once I was at work CJ entered my office in a rush. "Have you heard?"

" heard what? " I asked not glancing from my work.

"Aiden Marietta is getting married. The announcement was made this morning" .

Shit , don't need this right now. Mizery is getting along very well and I didn't want any setbacks. "Make sure no one breaths a word to Mizery about this". I ordered.