Playing With Fire

Beep, Beep, Beep.

Removing my arm from the warmth of my blankets, I slammed my hand down on top of my alarm clock, even though it took several attempts before I succeeded in shutting it off. Giving one of those leg shaking stretches that feel so wonderful, I leisurely opened my eye's. Right-fifty two shines back at me in neon red. "Holy shit ball's" . I wailed launching my warm blankets off of me.

I had exactly nine minutes to get my tail to work. Springing from bed, I raced to the bathroom but tripped on one of my sneakers.  Down I went like a house of card's. "Shit, that's going to leave a mark". I spoke to my quickly bruising knee.

Finally making it to the bathroom, I grabbed my toothbrush and squirted a generous amount of toothpaste onto the bristles. Setting on the toilet to relieve myself, I brushed my teeth. Talk about killing two bird's with one stone. Replacing my toothbrush, I quickly splashed cool water on my face then raked a brush through my tangled locks. With a quick spray of deodorant under my arm's as well as my body just to freshen up, I high tailed it to my closet. Grabbing the first skirt I saw, I shimmied into it and selected a loose tank top that would pass for dressy. Stepping into a pair of flats, I took off to the kitchen. My intentions was to grab a pop tart and a bottle of water to eat on the go but I stopped short when I saw my family sitting around the table. Eyeing my Pape I stated in a near panic. "Pape, what are you doing? The meeting starts in like thirty seconds" .

"Damn, relax Baby girl. The meeting has been postponed to a later date. Demarco had some issues with Duel late last night and we had to take care of it. Our morning is free".

Irritated that I rushed and nearly broke my neck falling to learn that it was all for nothing, I plopped down in a vacant chair. "What did Duel do now?"

"Supposedly he was with some girl in a hotel room when her boyfriend pops in. Long story short Duel kills him in front of the girl. The guy he killed just happens to be the son of a big time lawyer here in the city. "

I shook my head. "This is sure to be messy".

Mom piled a heaping of eggs onto a plate and passed it to me. I could tell she was upset and worried over Duel's latest stunt. "That boy is too much like my idiot brother. I just know Dem will send him off again to keep him safe and I just know the kid's father won't stop until he has something, him being a lawyer and all. He'll seek justice. And then there's the girl who witnessed it all."

" Where is Duel now? " I asked with a mouthful of eggs.

Pape smirked. "Probably recovering from the beating Defucko gave him".

The conversation ended when CJ entered the room. He grabbed a biscuit and sat down in a gloomy mood. "Alice has made a decision. She's moving out by the end of the week. We found her a nice little place about three blocks away. She says for now that she will continue to work for you mom but she's keeping her options open".

" I'm glad to hear that she will stay with the business ". Mom offered.

I shot CJ a scolding look and snapped. "Tell her I'll check in soon and help with whatever she needs".

" Papeeee". We heard a annoying squeal and turned to see Jennel racing into the room interrupting our conversation.

"Jesus Jen, do you have to be so shrill". Pape snapped.

I smiled as my eye's took in the tiny skirt that Jennel sported. I leaned back in my chair and waited for it. "Baby girl, please go take that napkin off that you're wearing and put something on that at least hits your knees". Pape demanded.

Jennel plopped down on Papes lap and wrapped her arms around his neck. Our of the bunch she was the one who used her looks and charm to manipulate situations to her liking. It was obvious that she was going to use the sweet little daddy's girl act on Pape. I must admit that Jennel is quickly growing into a beautiful yet smart young lady. She looks nothing like me or mom but favors Pape in every way. She shares his skin tone, dark hair and eye's. One would think that Pape had her by himself. Jennel was nothing like me. She was lucky and normal. Where I was the tomboy, she was everything feminine. Her hair was always perfect and she dressed to impress. Of course she has begun her training and is rather good but becomes highly upset if she breaks a nail.