Meet Cole Butini

Instantly I sprouted from Mizery's body and backed away. His eyes never left me though, none of them looked away. Yes, I have met the Harper's many times, even hung out with the younger one's but never had I'd seen them in action. I've heard the horror stories but believed them to be just that... Stories. However something in their eye's right now told me it was all true.

For the moment Mizery lay forgotten as these Harper men stood shoulder to shoulder like a impenetrable wall. Mizery was right, number one way to die is kidnap a Harper. But technically I didn't kidnap her, I helped her. Fuck why can't Mizery snap out of it and tell them this is all a misunderstanding.

True, I'm accustomed to thing's like this, I was raised in it myself but the Harper's are a different breed. Tales of the brutal ways they've killed has reached every mafia Lord's ear. No one survives a run in with them. Fuck, even if I tried to fight back I wouldn't win, I'm outnumbered. Taking a few more steps back, I held my hands up in a peaceful jester. "This isn't what it seems. Please, let me explain" .

Heir released a vile chuckle and spoke to the other's. "You hear that guy's? We haven't even touched the bastard and he's already begging".

Then Demarco chimed in. "We don't want to hear you beg, we want to hear you scream. That is my baby niece you were assaulting. Do you know how much I love her? You're about to find out".

" No. I swear that it's not what you're thinking. Mizery called me wanting to leave because her father hit her. I picked her up and we've been here since but she's out of her meds and I didn't know what to do. I was worried she would harm herself so I was trying to restrain her then contact you".

"Silence him". Cole growled.

They moved in toward me  and I tried to skirt away but it wasn't possible. Within minutes I was bound and gagged. Each of them took turns pummeling my face except for her father. Cole stood back and watched and I had a gut feeling that he was waiting for last. Finally Mizery begin to sit up and everyone's attention turned to her saving me from anymore blows. Cole instantly flew to her side and I was forgotten for the time being. Bending down, he removed a large pack of sour patch kid's from his coat and handed them to her. Mizery snatched the bag from his hands like a greedy animal and gave a goofy chuckle. Cole smoothed her hair down and spoke so softly, so caring. "That's my baby girl. Pape's here now and everything is going to be okay. Pape knows just what to do baby. I'll always take care of you".

Sitting down on the floor, he pulled Mizery onto his lap and arranged the blanket snuggly around her. Mizery nuzzled her head into his shoulder as she munched on the candy. Rocking as if she were a baby, he spoke again. "Are you hurt?"

" No Pape".

Reaching back into his pocket he retrieved a pill bottle. "Look at me baby girl. Pape needs to give you your meds. I need you to cooperate with me. Do you think you can do that?"

Mizery quirked her head and hummed. "Do you have more candy?"

Cole snickered as Demarco walked over and bent down. Kissing her forehead he revealed another bag. "I have them sweetie. If you take your pill I'll give them to you. Will you do that?"

"Candy first".

Demarco grinned. "Pill first baby girl."

After a moment's thought she opened her mouth and Cole placed the pill on her tongue as Demarco handed her his water bottle. Once she swallowed Cole checked her mouth to make sure the pill wasn't hidden. "Baby girl you need to rest now".

Demarco scooped her up from Cole's lap then called for Heir and Sire. "Take her to a room and make sure she's dressed. Sit with her, don't leave her".

I watched as Mizery was carted away then Cole stood up fixing his glare back on me. The only thing that separated us was a table. He begin to walk toward me and didn't bother to walk around the table. Instead he flipped it over out of his way. Soon as he reached me he placed his hand around my throat and lifted me up along with the chair I was strapped in. I tried to buck against my restraints but the lack of oxygen made me weak. Eventually he released his grip and dropped me to the floor. The chair landed in its side with a crash. Before I could recover his foot slammed into my gut several time's. Eventually he jerked the chair upright and gripped me by the hair forcing me to look up at him. "You won't die today fool. I'll save that for Mizery to take care of. However I'll make sure that you feel pain everyday until you do die. I'll make sure that your beaten, starved. I'll go as far as hiring men to repeatedly rape you since you like to force yourself on women".

" it wasn't rape. I swear. Ask her, ask Mizery". I huffed out.

"It sure wasn't a fucking picnic that I walked in on. I'm having trouble believing that. In fact I don't even believe my daughter would call you for any reason. Why did you have her?"

" I told you the truth. She did call me. She wanted to get the fuck away from you". I snarled.

Apparently that was the wrong answer and his fist connected with my nose. Jesus Christ what was it with these people and nose punches? "I'll ask again. Why did you have my baby girl?"

" and I told you why. Mizery and I have secretly talked for awhile now.. Well mostly argued. The night she stayed out she was with me. Don't believe me, check my fucking phone. You'll see pictures of us, phone calls and shit. Believe what you want but I love Mizery".

Cole ordered CJ to retrieve my phone and they pulled up pictures of us on the beach that night. One even included us sharing a kiss. Cole cackled. "You're even dumber than I thought. You can't have my daughter. You're a fucking Marietta. You'll never have her, I'll kill you first. If what you say is true and you really was trying to restrain her, you was doing a bad job. You can't handle someone like my daughter. You can't take care of her like I can. Furthermore it would diminish the alliance between our families which may already be ruined if you were in fact harming my baby girl. You will die then your family will die. We are the Harper's and no one, not even a fucking Marietta can take us down".

He backed up a few inches and crossed his arm's then placed his finger to his chin. "Here's what's going to happen. I'll give Mizery a few hour's to recover then I'll talk to her. If in fact what your saying is true you will survive. If she even says you looked at her wrongly I'll mail your body piece by piece to your father".

With that said Cole left to go check on Mizery leaving me with the other's. The next few hour's drug by and I begin to wonder if Mizery would ever wake and when she did I hope she is better so she can confirm my story. Around midnight Cole reappeared. "We've talked and your story matches hers. We will be on our way now but first we have a few thing's to go over. Take this as your only warning... If I ever catch you near my daughter, including phone calls I will end you. You can't be with her and I'll stop it. Also this little misunderstanding  is never to be spoken about to anyone, not even your father.... Unless you have a death wish for your family".

Cole turned to leave as Mizery was being carried out by her brother. Her eyes caught mine and she whispered. "I told you to run Aiden". Then she was gone.

The twins stayed behind for a few minutes to release me from my restraints.

Just like that Mizery was out of my life again.