Chapter 8

Crystal? I mean what! Where the hell she fits in this?

"How any of this has to do with Crystal?" I questioned Bonnie. This was freaking crazy.

"First promise me you won't be mad at me?" She pleaded and I don't know what to answer because if it'd be worth being angry then there was no point in hiding it.  People passed past us, hurrying to their places as to last few minutes came to an end.

"Fine!" I told her, unsure that I meant my promise.

"Crystal applied for the same job as yours! She was interviewed but instead of the job she wanted, she was appointed as a receptionist. Her training was still due a year. She had a guy pitched at the HR department who promised to give her the position when she was done with her training and now when she was all ready, you popped out of nowhere. Her name was put on the waiting list."

I didn't know why I feel offended. I don't even have any training in assistance.

"When crystal and I figure out about your lack of information, she convinced me to, you know, do something to get you to leave the job or something. I wasn't going for that. But I didn't say anything as well. That was so not right of me."

"Yeah, it was not. But also, I can't expect you to tell me everything. We'd just met."

"Still, I did wrong. Crystal really needed this job as she is burdened with student loans for years. Being PR ensures good pay, enough to get rid of money problems in a few months' pay. And also, she is kind of obsessed with our boss. It's easy to get jealous and take tacky decisions."

Well, my mom was indeed right about the jealous part. However, I wanted to know one more thing. "Why are you ratting your friend out for me? I didn't suspect any plotting against me." I made sure to laugh at my joke, so she wouldn't feel bad.

"She is a friend, yes, but I like you as well. You remind me of a friend I grew up with. And I could use a friend on the top floor. So I figured to keep lying off the table. What's say? I promise to not be this bitch again. I'm not a bitch but..."

"Okay, okay, you apologize too much. In fact I appreciate your honesty. Now, what are you going to do about Crystal?"

"I don't know. Sometimes I do wish she doesn't get the job because, as I said, she is obsessed, like hardcore obsessed."

I understood the reason because the boss was indeed like a scenery people would spend hours, maybe days gazing and yet feel unsatisfied. God didn't hesitate to give him charms and looks. And how could I forget about his velvety voice? It's annoying but velvety.

"Anyway, we should go to our respective offices." Bonnie turned, reminding me of the time. I quickly drew my heels in attention.

After deciding at what hour we would come together and finish our donuts, we parted our ways.

As she was out of my sight, I felt a need to peep into my boss's office and see what was he doing. Again, no idea why the necessary need to do that.

Certainly, boss wanted the report before lunchtime and I hadn't printed the documents yet. I wanted to check if he wasn't designing a weapon to kill me. So far what I had observed about him was that he was not a forgiving person. Bonnie confirmed that.

Looks like God, also, had heavily gifted him with temper issues. I glanced around and found no one nearby. That was a good chance to peep and find out.

Very quickly and quietly, I leaned against the door, trying to hear anything that can reach my ear. My boss is talking to someone. Maybe someone else is inside or he was communicating through the phone. I hear his footsteps continuously cracking the floor. This was the first time I think he was in his office and not making out. I wondered sometimes, how was he able to manage the whole business thing when all I see him nailing someone on his desk or his sofa.

"Clearly I'm looking forward to the meeting!" My boss's voice was now clear than before. Yeah, so velvet-like.

My focus was so infused on his syllables that I failed to comprehend when his feet were right behind the door and as the only barrier keeping us apart vanished, I lost my balance, the downside of fully resting my weight upon the door.

I drastically fell, praying to not end up busting my nose. Thankfully,  something came in my way.

My boss was holding me firmly while I was squeezing his arms to prevent myself from hitting the ground meanwhile feeling the gravity of our bodies touching together. Oh, I forget to be this near to a guy.

I kept my head down which was still rested upon his chest while I focused to slow down my heartbeat as it was beating faster than ever.

________

Updated on: April 7, 2019

My exams are finished so I'm posting one part every day. Add this book to your library.

–Anshika