Chapter 58

Klaus' POV.

For a few moments, her annoying voice stopped. She has put her legs against her chest, encircled by her both hands, probably cursing under her breath. After a moment, she opend her mouth only to piss me off more as once again the conversation took another turn.

"Why the hell those people were after us?" She asked.

"Isn't it obvious? It's Edward." I stated flatly.

"But why? Why Edward is after you? I mean he is your brother. Your brother! What could possibly happen between you two that he is hell-bent on killing you and now me?" She shouted without realizing she just triggered my anger. What makes her think she will come to know about my life?

"I don't see how Edward is any concern of yours?" I prowl. She better don't talk about it further. I know better than I'm gonna snap soon.

"Concern!" She shouts again, "you've got to be freaking kidding me? How the heck it doesn't concern me? I stood by your side. Right from the beginning. You gave me my chance to choose and I choose this, with you."

"Well, you've forgotten to mention that you had your own reason to stay."

"Yeah, I do. Because I'm not born rich and I have a family to look after. You can't suggest them as my selfish reason because it's called necessity, so excuse me for reminding you but what's the more pressing matter here is that you have to explain. Why your own brother turns his back on you to this extent?"

Silence! That's what she's gonna get even though she made a good point. That gives me my answer to why I always somehow find her working effective and efficient. A girl like her isn't experienced but surely she adapts nicely.

"Come on, talk now!" She said impatiently. I just look at her, then a glimpse of sky. Just a few more hours to bear. Just a few more.

However, she continues, " You suggested the only way to go through the night is talk. You have to tell me. You just can't seriously let this pass. I wanna know why I endured all of this, even saved your life."

Saved my life! I owe her?

"Fine, you wanna know!" I gave up, only thinking about this exact word. I owe her! She did save me after all.

Taken aback, she glanced me for a while before uttering the single, and most predictable word. "Really?"

I answer in positive and that's when she turns her posture toward me.
"This all started before I knew who Edward really was. I had heard several times from my father discussing him but father never intended on taking him down or competing. Because for me, he's an eligible competitor, not just for us, but for every other firm that stands in the market. When the company came into my hands, I made him my first target; my main competition. As it was a beginning for me, I had no idea who I was dealing with. My brother! Half brother!

"Half brother?" She gasped. "I thought—"

"You thought wrong. His father and my father is the same person but not the mother. The deceased wife of Mr. Blake is Edward's mother. Though Mr. Blake remarried and had two other kids, Edward never got love from his new stepmother, neither did his siblings. But soon Edward's dedication toward the business created an impact of him in the family. He got the attention, not just from father, but the rest of the family too. But he knew better that all of them were faking. No one loved him, only acted to care."

So, all of this had already begun to infuriate him, right from the beginning. And after he came to know about his real father identity, it was too late for me to back away. I had already targeted his business.

It was easy for me to rise my company more than him. Even though Edward is a capable businessman, he did underestimate a few things. The reason his company rose to the market was lack of proper competition from our side. I wasn't aware why? I asked father why we never target his area of dominance. The answer was simple but he never gave me the truth.

My father decided to call the shot once again but I didn't let him control of the company again. I couldn't. Not after I rebuilt it, I wasn't letting my father dissolve again.

So the competition began.

Shares of blake's company fell poorly in 2017. Shareholders started withdrawing their names and invested in ours instead. And with that, Edward lost almost everything. Even the fake act he was getting from his family. He definitely wasn't happy with that, but it gave him the satisfaction that just for a while, he got the attention of everyone and that's exactly what I took from him. The rival started getting personal for us. We gave each other throat cut competition. It took a while for Edward to realize why his company's share dropped rapidly. He confronted my father, so he told him the truth. Father suggested him to lead our respective company peacefully because if it went this way, media will find out the truth and then nothing in the world is gonna save our reputation.

The moment Edward find out his true identity, he blamed his miseries on my father because he never accepted him. As per Edward, his real place was at his, not at Blake's. He's a Mikealson, too. But instead of what he was expecting, father blankly told him to continue his life as a Blake and maintain their image in the public.

Rejection got the worst out of Edward. He started targeting us. Since it was hard to get back to my father, I became the bull's eye. We already had fought for two years and sparks between us never ended. That created a wider rift between and resulted in each other as the ultimate target."