Chapter 19

"The Mikealsons originally belonged to UK," Bonnie began while Crsytal and I patiently sat on our respective place to hear Bonnie. "Mr. Andrew Mikealson, Klaus's father was the son of a CIA agent who was killed on a cold blood murder along with his mother. After the few years of the incident, Mr. Andrew married Sofia Watson. Within a year they had a son. But Sofia made a promise to her parents."

"I can't believe she could made such a promise!" It was Crsytal. I almost forget she was here, with us. Bonnie give her side way glance, a normal glance before looking at me. It's clear that Crystal, too knows the whole story.

"What promise?" I ask and at the same time the waitress bring our food. Bonnie put a pause on her narration so we can serve the food on our plate. As soon as it was done, we pick our fork.

Chewing the first bite of her food, Bonnie restarted. "Sofia Mikealson  had no brother. She has five sisters. Her mother wanted a son but she couldn't have one. When Mrs. Sofia was pregnant with her first child, she promised to gave her child to them, if it would be a son!"

I was stunned to hear this. A mother gave her child away??????

"What my mother told me that their first child, means our boss spent his first ten years with his maternal grandparents and two of his aunt while Mr. Andrew and Mrs. Sofia settled in New York." Bonnie continued.

"So now our boss goes to UK to visit his grandparents!" I questioned her.

"No! Not exactly!" Crsytal muffled between her words due the food she was chewing. "Eight years back, just after the American's labour's day, they passed away." My brows went up and lips curled in pity. I feel sorry at my boss loss which is same as mine. Even though I have my Grandpa, I miss my dead Nana.

Bonnie's put down her fork. Although she was telling the Mikealson's tale, she was the first one to finish her lunch. "Every year, he visit her aunts and to mourn her grandparents around labour's day. He never take anyone with him, not even his PRs. He goes alone and for two weeks, he's like on hibernation."

I immediately started imagining my boss in casual clothes, sitting around his grandparents grave and talking to them for hours. But Alas! My imagination feels foreign because it sounds very unlike him. Klaus Mikealson, my boss who knows only two language, first— his business and second— sex, and he is now on a holiday. I don't know how should I see it! Is he's capable of having a soft spot inside his heart beside being acting so angry and conceited sometimes.

.........

The another day of my office was over and I find myself in front of Patrick's cemetery, a place 5 km away from my home. It's the cemetery where my nana is buried. When I was driving back to home, I felt like visiting her grave. I guess it has something to do with my boss's UK visit. He is a prideful, arrogant business man and he still mourns his nana and Grandpa, then why not me. With small steps, I walk in. I scan the semetary and memories of her burial freshens up. I visited only once after her burial but never came again. My mother engaged me in my studies and then, I left for my collage.

Very soon, I find her grave. It was the same as the last time I saw. Just the color of the tombstone has faded to yellow. Small shrubs have grown upon the muddy ground around it. I sat on my knee and lean at the stone to clear the dust. Under the moonlight, I read her name. 'Madelaine Anderson Smith'

"Hey N-Nana!" I stuttered at my first word. I felt bad for coming this late. "Forgive me please! I know I should have visited you earlier and frequently but I didn't. I'm sorry." I clasped my hand together and looked away as if she's standing right in front of me. I came here but I don't know what else to say. My mind started to wander what my boss says when he talk to his grandparents. I wish I can ask him.

"I miss you nana and I wish you were here," I whispered to her grave. " And I don't know what else to say!" With these words I got up and turned around. Without another glance, I walked out of the cemetery. My eyes were already glassy. This was a terrible idea! Really terrible idea. All I'm feeling now is ashamed because she was the best person I ever had and I never visited her more than once.

I hurriedly get inside my car and drove away. It was already nine and mom must be worried about me. I still have to create my account on my phone and fix my sim card on it.

When I reached my home my mom was pacing back and forth in the corridor of her bookstore.

"God! Caroline, where were you?" My mother freaked out the moment I walked in.

"I happen to ran into my high school friend Leila." I lied because I don't wanna tell her I went to her mother's graveyard.

"And what happened to your phone? I was trying to reach you but it went straight to your voicemail. I was just going to call the cops"

"Relax mom. I'm fine and my phone is with me which is broken but I got a new one!" I tell her and the tension on her face slowly fades away. I gave her a small smile and began to walk upstairs.

"I called your boss!" My mother informs me. I freezed at my spot and whirl around.

"My boss? How did you even get his number?"

"I found his visiting card inside my book, 'Oliver twist' ".

I remember him reading that book yesterday when I was getting ready for the meeting with Mr. Castor. Why did he left his visiting card in that book? "Okay, what did he say?"

"That he didn't know where you were. God, I worried that man, too. He asked me to call him as soon as I find about your whereabouts." She said and pull out her phone from her pocket.

"Mom, I'm hungry. Will you set up the dinner for me.  I'll call my boss. You don't worry!" I assured her and she nodded.

I get inside my bedroom and throw away my sandals. Instantly changing my clothes, I began to create I'd in my new phone. It took plenty of time but I did it. Brian taught me well and  I download my data into my phone.

The contact was successfully restored. At that moment, I heard the knock on my door.

"Honey! Dinner's ready." She tells me, standing at the other side of the door.

"Coming mom!" I looked at my phone's screen and all I have to do was touch the call button but instead I put it upon the table and went to dining table.

"Have you informed your boss?" My mother asked.

"Yes, I did!" I half lied because I didn't called him but I am going to, after the dinner.

____________

VOTE AND COMMENT!