Chapter 56

When I jumped, I had no idea where I would land. What if on a rock? Or hit the surface and die as the water level was too low.

But maybe death was not written in my destiny, yet.

Coldwater slapped me hard when I landed into it. I begin to contain myself and swim before the chilling water turned me cold and numb. Down there was totally dark, only the moonlight reflected back and forth on the water surface, giving me a little vision to watch where I am. Another hard splash hit me on the face when something hard fell. It was boss. He was going to follow my Que.

I kept my upper body above the water to see where boss is. We really need to get out of the water before those killers made another move. I swim here and there, not moving too far in search of him but he was nowhere. He has my spectacles. I need them back before my vision go blurry.

I panicked.

Where did he go? Did he just leave me? Horror and fear simultaneously surrounded me as I swim back and forth. He wouldn't leave me to die?

I was about to break into sob when a hand raising above the water caught my eyes. The sleeves of hus grey coat were easy to recognize.
Comprehension hit my face and I realize he was drowning. I was shocked like hell.

Not wasting another second, I swam to him as his body was already submerging while he struggled to stay above the water. I caught his heavy body, the water loaded clothes were enough to make me exhausted.

Boss exhaled sharply, filling up his lungs when I dragged him up the water level. Before I could shout at him for his stupidity, he said. "Stay in the water. Don't go near the banks!"

"What? but why? The water is already freezing." I shouted, breathing fast while keeping up with the flow of water.

"If they saw us alive, they will come down to hunt us. We are still out of the main city. They had chosen wisely to murder us without any trouble. So, stay close to the pillar."

"But I can't hold much longer." I honestly tell him and feel the constant aching pain. The water was only making it worse. At least the waves weren't frequent and wild. Several flashlights were glowing down to the river, telling me boss was indeed right.

Without making much noise, I swim along with the boss to the pillar that ran down from up to deep underwater.

I leaned on it, my breathing fastened. I am clutching my boss against my body right upon me. The hustling above us on the bridge continued.

Finally, what felt like hours, the flash thing stopped, leaving me with nothing about their next move.

I was losing my breath, I know. I could n't hold it any longer. My boss and I were wrapped with each other as struggle. Every second was draining me out of energy, making my grip already on the verge of loosening.

"I can't hold you anymore!" I cried in pain, and pursed my lips as it was so hard to speak. The water felt like fire on my skin now, burning the layers away. "Sir? Sir?"

After getting no response, I realized that his body was suddenly feeling much heavier than before. Struggling hard, I somehow managed to see his face. When I tilted his head toward me, his eyes were closed, and  the breathing was unstable I think.

He fainted.

No, not now!

Tears filled my eyes once again as I felt lonely, above the water, in almost drowning state.

I sniffed, wanting myself to let loose and drown to end the suffering. I cried out loud only stopping when my mom's face flashed across my mind.

Adrenaline rushed inside me and J decided to abondone the pillar and reach the bank. Tucking his body under my left hand, I swam.

I no longer cared if they caught us. Because even if they did, I would rather die with a bullet than feel the pain of water drilling my ears and suffocating my breath.

When I reached the bank, I laid his body on the ground. Our clothes were soaked except for my water proof leather jacket I wore with my knee-length dress and tights. Boss's condition was the same but he was more in trouble than me.

I check his pulse. He was alive.
"Sir? Sir? Get up, get up!" I slapped his face, again and again, trying to wake him up. Nothing happened. So I decided to go for tricks I had learned during my swim class.

I clasped my hand together and pushed against his chest hard. Repeating it several times, he spilled out some water unconsciously. But my efforts were not that much of a help as he still wasn't responding.

I leaned on his chest, bringing my ear closer to his heart. It was rapidly beating but his chest wasn't raising or falling.

He still can't breathe.

Looking around, with a little hope that I might see a soul who would help me became just a thought in my head. No one was around us. Not even the killers. Either they left thinking we had died or they are coming down to search our dead bodies just to be sure.

I helplessly look at my unconscious boss. And I know I wouldn't leave without him. Even if the killers did arrive.

Hurrying fast, I parted his lips with my hands and leaned down to give a mouth to mouth resuscitation. The artificial respiration was working but I feel myself out of breath and life.

I did the CPR again, then the third time and again until I saw boss arched up, letting out a gasp.

Relief washed over my face with a secured smile as I saw his eyes slightly opening. It never felt this good to see him in front of me. He sat upright, water still dripping down to his face from his blonde hairs. I guess he was still recovering with the fact that I saved both of our asses.

I rest on the ground too as I continue to stare at him with an unknown smile. A sudden surge of feeeling was inside me and I had no idea what taht meant. It just made me happy. 

Seeing him recovering pretty fast, I wanted to ask him about our next move, however, darkness overpowered my mind.

My eyes, my body and my mind give up at last and I fell on the ground and the last word that echoed inside me was—

"Caroline!!!!!"

----------

Hello Klaroliners.

The new chapter is up before the due date and it's because of you. So appreciate yourself for this. You all deserve a shoutout. My favorite readers already made my day when I see their lovely comments and vote.

To the ghost readers, love you all too.

Keep voting and commenting. Maybe I'll update tomorrow!

-Anshika!