Chapter 78

(A/n: This is a double update. Please read chapter 77. Please read that before. You're gonna miss a lot).

.

.

.

Everyone was laughing, clapping, and congratulating me while I was lost between the crowd on the verge of breakdown in front of everyone.

What the bloody hell was that?

My eyes are fixed on the couple as Mr. Mikealson narrated Klaus proposed Rose at the lunch this day. So that is why he was so eager to leave the office and go on date with her. He was planning it for so long while I was daydreaming and spying behind his back in hope of confirmation of his love for me.

Rose gives him a side hug, showering smiles at others and it hurts to see the boss's happy face. This is the first time I saw him happy. Otherwise either he'll smirk, or scowl and that makes him the person who hardly smiles.

I take a look at Rebekah and Kol's expression who is surprised but not shocked like me. When I move my gaze back to him, I find him staring back at me. I wish, he could see my tears forming due to this.

I thought to find a restroom and lock myself till the night ends as it getting harder and harder by every minute to act normal.

My way was interrupted when Bonnie emerged after Mr. Mikealson told people to enjoy and ended his speech and the fucking news.

"Hey, I didn't know you'll be here " she chimes.

"Me neither!" I mumble, barely having any excitement left. Earlier I used to crave opportunities to be around him, but this is the time of suffocation. Oh someone please kill me!

"I was told in the morning you were at the office but I didn't see you at lunch or after that. Where have you gone?"

"I wasn't feeling well so I came early."

"You still having health issues?"

"No, I'm much better now. So why were you searching for me? Was it important?"

"Nah!" She answers, "actually it was my last day at the office so I thought to spend some time with you."

"Last?" I gaped.

"Yeah, I got a better place to work. With Kol's software team. He approached me and offered me to work with him. You know how much I'm into computer and technology."

"That's great," I laugh.

"You're slurring, Caroline."

"Am I?" I ask and think. I didn't feel much rather than heartbreak, a burning sensation in my throat, and a little rise in adrenaline.

"Was it your first time drinking?" Bonnie enquires.

"No, I've tasted a few but they were too bitter to consume, and most of the time I was afraid of passing out or throwing up and then waking up the next day with a hell of a hangover."

"Not everybody throws up the first time. You can handle a little Champagne, and also, you look great today. No glasses, glam look, and cute dress."

"You too," I reply and avert my eyes at Rose and boss who are standing side by side, accompanied by few other people who were introduced to be Roseline's parents. The mother has the same features as her but his father was a raven-haired, tall guy. Of course, he's her stepdad. But where is her stepbrother, then?  "I have to use the restroom, Bonnie. Excuse me, but I'll see you later"