Chapter 22

"Just Coffee, for now." I said to the waitress, who raises her beautiful eyebrows.

"You don't want anything else to eat?" She asked, sounding disappointed.

"Let my friend come first, then I'll order!" I tell her. With a shrug the waitress walks away to put my order in. I sit back against the hard wood diner chair and look around to pass the time. Today's labor day weekend and my first official paid leave. Brian and I decided to meet here, at Taco's so I could discuss the whole Selena matter which I've done a lot of times over the years. I glance outside the window and remember how I decline my mother's wish to go with her to her father's house. I told her that I'm meeting Brian, to which she said nothing and went away to bus station. She will back by night I guess or I have to cook breakfast for tommorow.

The same waitress came and put a cup of coffee on the table. The smell of coffee fill my nose and after cooling a little, I sip it. Few minutes later, the bell on the diner's front door rings as the door opens, and Brian Wesley walks in. He shoot me a smile and sits on the chair opposite, facing me.

"You're late, as always!" I remind him while reminiscing various times he stood I and Selena for hours in our college days. "So I suited myself with a coffee!" I show him the cup I held under my palm.

He make a puppy face. "Sorry for making you wait!" I nod as I took the last sip of my coffee.

"So how's college?" I ask him and put the cup down on the table.

"Same as usual, nothing new!" He rubbed his both hands before finally resting them on his thighs. He has black hair with the hint brownish shades and hazel eyes with a dazzling smile. He is wearing one his characteristics word shirt—this on said 'LEGENDS ARE BORN IN DECEMBER'. Usually his jeans had big holes and torn pockets, but this one had none of them, just a simple pair of blue jeans.

"So," Brian said, snapping me out of my reverie. "Now you have become a big person!"

"Meaning?"

"Oh come on! Selena told me everything. My goodness, Caroline. You work for Mikealsons!" He exclaims while my breath stuck at the mention of Selena. They talked?

"You talked to Selena?" I ask him.

"Yeah, we met at Matthew's party yesterday."

"Did she said something other than my job!"

"Yeah!" He says. "That you talked to me about giving her an another chance."

"She would hate me now!" I slap my hand against my temple. Selena now knows that I lied to her.

"Don't worry!" Brian's was assuring. "I made it up that we talked." Relief over my whole body as I lean against my chair, again. The same waitress comes again with the menu. I gesture him and then he ordered grilled cheese. "And I have made everything clear." Brian continues after that waitress left. "I can't do this anymore. She and I can't be together."

I am shocked, not because Brian had said these words earlier but the tone he used right now was flinty and tired, as well. He seemed really over with Selena. It looks that he's moved on and I hope I'm proven wrong. I consider Selena and Brian each-other's soulmates but now they seems to drift apart for final. "And I'm seeing someone else," he says, confirming my fear. "Selena knows it, too. I told her last night that I'm not interested in her anymore and I'm seeing Amanda McCall."

I suck the breath hard. So much happened last night and Selena didn't even called or texted. Our food was served and Brian changed the topic. He told me about the other highlights of Matthew's party. They were playing truth and dare and Brian was dared to kiss the DJ guy, Rick. I laughed imagining him— kissing Rick, while everyone must have enjoyed the live show. Rumors were high at our college that Rick's a gay, who pretend to be straight and Brian is one of his crush.

Brian had to literally stop me from laughing in such a higher tone. He complained to me and cursed himself for telling me this piece of information because he thinks that I may use it to tease him randomly at anyplace or in front of anyone.
Our lunch went over and after few friendly parting words, we bid goodbye and gave each-other a side hug.

......

I return my home and find my mother's presence missing. Since I had lots of hours to kill, I changed my dress and hopped upon the couch. The best thing to pass time was to watch a series. I switched on my TV and opened Netflix. After watching back to back five episode of 'The last summer', I fell asleep.

When I woke up, I find myself covered with a blanket. I rub my eyes and wear back my spectacles. The weird thing was I don't remember taking them off before I slept. My eyes flicker at the watch and it was quarter past 7. I've been sleeping for 5 hours. I got up and perfectly fold back the blanket.
I heard cabinets being opened and shut in the kitchen. When I reach there, I find my mother. She was wearing her white bathrobe. Her hair were half wet. She rarely wash her hair at the end of the day.

"Morning!" She said, while cooking bacon.

"Morning???" I muttered under my breath and quickly rush to the window and slid the white curtains. Its indeed a morning. That means I've been sleeping for whole evening and night.  "When did you came back?" I ask my mother when I came back to her.

"Midnight. I saw you sleeping peacefully on the couch, so I didn't disturbed you."

"Thanks for that." My voice was hard, full of attitude because I was still not over with our petty argument over the cash register maintenance. I turn around to take shower but her voice stopped me.

"Caroline!" She called and I face her again. "I'm sorry for last time. I shouldn't have treated you like that when you only wanted to help me!" She said to me and her apology melted my heart, my anger flew out of the window. That's how things go around here. We piss each-other and a small apology make everything better.

"Promise me you won't cut me out like that again." I asked her and cross my arms upon my chest.

"I promise," she assures me. "I just do not wanted to burden you."

"You and your business never burdens me," I tell her. "Now let me go and take shower!" She smiles and I left.

....

My intercom buzzes and I pick it up."Someone named Mr. Alberto Castor wanted to see you!" Bonnie informs me.

"Send him in!" I reply and just after a minute, I see Mr. Castor knocking my door. I immediately got up and open the door for him. Last time when I saw him, he was surrounded with his two kids, his secretary, and muscular and intimidating bodyguards but this time, he was alone.

"Mr. Castor, welcome!" I greet him and he does the same while occupying a chair.

"I came to see Mr. Mikealson but Miss Bennett told me he's not available right now!"

"Yeah he's gone to UK for some personal matter and asked me to look after in his absence." I tell him and rest myself upon my black leather chair. "So tell me, what can I do for you?"

He pull out a paper from his jacket's interior pocket and show it to me.
"I heard that a land at 2nd avenue, 28th Street St is going to be auntioned in upcoming week. I wanted Mr. Mikealson to look forward and purchase it if... he finds it suitable for our Casino."

I look into that tiny paper which was nothing more than a map of 28th Street and important buildings around it. "Sure Mr. Castor....Mr. Mikealson will be back in 3 days."