Chapter 14

The drive was quiet as the cab driver didn't bother to ask the explanation about the horrified look I wore on my face. I hadn't realized when my tears dried and they were over-cast by the fear due to those drunken. I should've been careful while choosing ways at night. It's never safe to walk alone, especially near a club or bar. These are the places where people like those drunken are always seen.

I rested my head upon the seat, trying to calm my nerves. I had successfully escaped those bastards but I can't help and think what might happen if I couldn't.

Only thinking about the consequences gives me goosebumps. My boss was supposed to look after me but he abandoned me just to have his kind of fun. He brought me there, so it was his responsibility to make sure that I'm okay or not. And Just the moment I started to think good about him, he unleashed his 10 A.M. girlfriends on me, who ratted me out.

The driver stops the car in front of my house. After I pay him for his services, I walk straight to my home. My legs were shaking and painting at the same time. It took my whole energy running from those scoundrels. My heels just made it more difficult and painful. With my keys, I get inside and climb upstairs, to the kitchen. I haven't eaten anything yet. I open the refrigerator and find that the dinner my mother left for me is still packed. I roughly tear the thin plastic wrap and eat a slice of cucumber.

I glanced at the doorway of the mother's room. She's back, I know. Instead of eating there, I take a water bottle and entered my room. It was midnight and I was tired, so tired that finishing off the dinner felt exhausting. Somehow, I emptied my plate and gulp the water down my throat, emptying the bottle to half.

After switching off the light, I yawned and roll into my bed. I didn't feel like changing my dress or even remove my sandals. The window of my room was open and the moonlight illuminated my room. By that same window, I have so many memories attached to my childhood and my maternal grandparents. I barely fall asleep on my bed. Nana uses to sing me goodnight songs by that same window until I fall into sleep. Then she will carry me to my bed. I miss her now. The painting of daffodils which hung upon the wall is her memory to me. It was the last painting she painted with me before she passed away.

I felt how fastly my eyes began to water at her memory. I sniff a bit, wiping my eyes off and put my spectacles on the bedside table. I roll my body halfway and stared at the ceiling when my phone buzzed.

"Screw you, Niklaus Mikealson!" I muttered when I saw his number on my screen. So finally, he noticed I'm missing from that miserable club. I rejected the call but it buzzed again. "Go to hell!" I shouted this time and smashed the reject button.

Keeping my phone aside, I shut my eyes. Thousand of thoughts to kill my boss floated inside my mind. He's jerk, irresponsible cowboy and casanova who deserves a girl like Roseline. She, for sure, is a mean bitch.

..........

"Caroline, wake up dear...." I hear my mom's voice, shouting from the other side of the door. I groaned and curl myself, covering the thin sheet up to my head. "Wake up, sweetheart. It's 8:10. You're going to be late for your work!"

Eight! So what. I want to sleep more.

"Baby get up. Aren't you going office today?"

OFFICE! BLOODY HELL! I bolted upright in shock. "Yes. I'm awake, mom!" I rub my temple in tension. The office starts at 9 and I'm still crawling on my bed. I rarely woke up this late.

Quickly, I run to my bathroom. Within 30 minutes or more, I get dressed. Only 20 minutes are let for the drive, which is exactly the time I need to reach my office.

......

Luckily, I reached my office within 20 minutes and I have to skip my breakfast. As I enter the Mikealson premises, my eyes traveled at the receptionist, Crystal. The whole story Bonnie told me earlier flashed my mind. She glanced me once but I went straight to the elevator. We have nothing in common except Bonnie. Crystal works on the first floor while I work on the top floor. Her job is a receptionist and my job is—well—a nightmare.

Before the elevator door shut back, the queen of my nightmare dawdles in.

Roseline! God, doesn't she has any work to do? Looking at her, she looks like a college student. And instead of focusing on her career, here she is—ready to do anything to become the PR.

Unfortunately, it was only two of us inside the elevator. She tapped her freshly manicured nails on the elevator in some unknown rhythm.
I decided to divert my mind away but she snatched that freedom too.

"Morning Sunshine!" She said sweetly, so sweetly that it was beyond annoying.

"What is it you want, now?" I scowled.

"Chill! I'm just trying to be polite!"

"I hardly believe!"

"Oh come on! Don't tell me you're fuming over the things I said to you last night!" She leans against the elevator, her face blank as a zombie.

"I'm over it, it's clear you're behind my job." I roll my eyes and the elevator opens. With heavy steps, I step out so that I can avoid her. The more she stays away from me, the better I can work here peacefully.

"Of course I'm but you know we can start over and have one to one face off!" She walks behind me. I stop and stare at her.

"One to one?" My brows went up.

"Yeah, one to one. Like a match! We'll run after the ball and let's see who goals it." She smrinks, her smile devilish. "Klaus wants me to work under your assistance, so you know.....you can train me!"