Chapter 89

Klaus's POV
.
.
.
.
.

Life couldn't be any more difficult.

I have everything I ever wanted to have and yet here I'm doing everything in order to protect the woman I love. How did that happen? Why did I let it happen?

Edward and I would have been just another arch-enemies, trying to eliminate each other in business but the moment I made a new weakness, he was right behind me to take her away as well.

Elvis, his brother, or If I want to be more specific, his stepbrother doesn't look like a person to be holding grudges with anyone, let alone Edward.

My eyes averted at Caroline who had blended in the crowd until she disappeared in the hallway.

No matter how much I tried to hide the pain, she seems to know it all. So I only hoped I wouldn't have to face Thea and her at the same time. I won't be able to deal with that.

"So you were saying about my brother?" Elvis spoke to me and I drew my eyes back to him.

"That he is handling the business really well," I told him. him. It was tough to admit cause it was the truth. That pain in the ass does have business balls.

"Nobody knows that better than me," Elvis said, his voice dropping from excitement to bitterness but he recovered quickly. "He's always the best."

"However, you don't seem to agree with that." I pointed out, trying to lure the bait. He just needs to be edgy.

"Of course I agree that." He stated but my instincts know better. He was definitely bitter about it. "Otherwise I'd be the one running the company."

"Certainly!" I agreed, giving him an encouraging smile. "Though it's sad for someone as exceptional as you giving up the position to him anyway."

"You think I'm better than him?"

"I always trust my instincts," I said, confidently. If this baiting thing needs to work, I have to do my part very well.

"But I trust my brother. We came a long way to decide what's best for our company." He said. "Besides, I have a wonderful life here. My wife and I are living it at it's fullest."

"I'd be thankful to my brother for that kind of life, too." I curved my lips to form a smile. "That way I don't have to do anything, he'll take care of me just fine. You know what, on second thought, that life does sound awesome. No worries, just living on my brother's money. I'd be so grateful, don't you think?"

He took a pause. His smile became small, and his eyes were dilating and dull. "Edward is a good brother. So yeah, I guess so. I am grateful."

He might have agreed with my perfect made up half-lie but I knew I had struck his nerve, even the slightest was enough for now.

"You tell me about you, Mr.
Mikealson?" Elvis asked, taking a sip off his glass. "The last time you made the news was months ago. I saw you'd been attacked in the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge. That's dope you made it so bravely."

"Successful people disappoint unsuccessful people," I stated. "And they don't react well."

"I didn't have any bad encounter in my time at my company." He pointed out.

"You could have lasted longer. In fact, you'd be running your company now."

"Like I said, Edward—"

"Oh forget about him for a minute." I pressed. "To me, you look like the kind of man who gets what he wants to achieve. That is why I'm very disappointed you gave up so easily. Edward is not even your brother."