Chapter 40

"Is that true, Caroline?" Boss asked even though he knew the answer. He just wanted me to assure that whatever Mr. Castor said is true. Curling my fingers in a ball due to horror, I nod and averted my gaze away from him.

"Mr. Castor can you leave my PR and I alone for a moment." Boss said, startling me. Mr. Castor agreed and zone out of the room to the guest cabin. As the silence fell once again in the room, I started to think of anything that may save me from his reaction. He, for sure is gonna be mad for lying and hiding about the person he hate most in the world.

"Explain!" Boss demanded and that's when I look at him. He is now few feet away from me, his hands clasped upon his hips.

"Now explain what? Mr. Castor already told you everything. What am I suppose to say now?"

"Perhaps enlighten me why you lied when I did asked about your little chitchat with Edward."

"Because I thought it wasn't important. More—"

"IMPORTANT? Do you think a joke is going on? He threatened my employee, my PR and you think it's not important to tell me?" He shouts.

"If I had told you not Mr. Castor, would you have believed me?"

"Of course I would. I'm fully aware what Edward is capable of."

Now I regretted for being a fool but then there was no going back. What's done is done. Thankfully he didn't barked at me like a maniac which is a shocker. I survived almost a month here including Roseline's bitchy attitude, Crsytal's unfair act, and my very boss who has some issues of his own but am I gonna survive Edward's threat? I think I took the matter lightly but the flaring nostrils of my boss in exasperation is indicating me that the matter is more than serious.

"What else did you talk about?" My boss snapped me out of my reverie.

I began remembering every word Edward said. The first thing that came to my mind that there was something in his tone that caused a shiver of dismay to run down my spine. His dark black eyes had so much of devil, something you only see when people are bad, so bad. He is as same age as my boss and haven't crossed his thirties and yet he had the audacity to publicly threaten a well known personality and her not so famous PR.
And then I heard his cold and void voice.

"He said something about exacting a revenge on you for taking his deal away with Mr. Castor and I may end up as a collateral damage if I didn't back out and cut ties from your company."

Boss jaw tightens, eyes now fixed at something else and looks like he's thinking something. Maybe Edward's murder. Even though he won't be able be able accomplish but I know thinking about it rewards satisfaction. I, myself have dreamt of killing my boss when he left me alone in the club and later Roseline insulted me.

Boss pulled out his iphone, type something on it and slide it back into his pockets.
"Since I have few important business to handle, you can take rest for the day. I'll see you tomorrow and.....if you think this job is not suitable for you after Edward's.....then feel free to resign." His voice broke at the last word and I know why. He was satisfied with my work and whatever task he ask me to handle, I finish it before time. And let's not forget that I have my own selfish reasons to continue the job. My pay is good and I will be able to help my mother in expanding her business. Secondly, if I quit, I had to go through years and years of training to get a job of my own because I won't be recommended everytime by a NGO.

"I'll see you tomorrow, sir!" I assure him and he didn't smile but his eyes did and I was too quick to notice it. Giving him a small smile, I stalked out of the place.

........

When I reached home I wasn't prepared to face what was coming before me. The moment I entered my home, I saw my mother pacing back and forth on the small corridor between the bookselves the same way when I went to cemetery and came home late. Last time, her face was plastered with worry and concern but this time, its masked with grimaced; completely infuriated.

"What the hell are you thinking Caroline?" She shouted. "Just because you're doing a job doesn't mean you have freedom to go anywhere you like."

"Mom, it's not freedom. I don't even had the choice," I try to defend myself. "The schedule was too quick that I didn't had the chance to get my clothes."

"If you think I'm trying to control you then it's not but I won't tolerate this kind of demeanor. How come you went to LA without my permission?" She scowl.

"I'm not your little girl anymore and moreover it's my job, mom! I'm his personal manager. I've to go wherever boss goes, of course if the purpose is professional."

"Personal manager?"  She squeaked and I see horror building in her face.
"What rubbish are you talking? I thought you were—"

"No it's not!" I tell her. "And let's not talk about this right now. I'm tired." I complain annoyingly. Seriously I think I'm going to have a hell of a headache or I may pass out any moment. Mom is still hissing at me while blocking my way.

"Mom? My room, let me go!" I plead in exhaustion. She, for a moment didn't answered, then huffed.

"Fine," she moved away from the way and I climb the stairs. "And Selena is waiting for you in the room."

I turn back at her, shocked.

"What?" Selena is here. She must have heard all of our conversation. She's also one of those people who doesn't know about my job.
"Why you have to tell the most important thing at last?" I groan and marched to my room.