Chapter 54

Dedicated to: Destiney_Hope

***

Last Warning! Back away. Manhattan is the last place you want to go. I won't buy another number to warn you.
—well-wisher.

Seriously? It is the fifth time I've read this message in the last 6 hours.

That disgusting piece of shit, who claims to be my well-wisher, had sent another text this morning. Can't he/she show up or is he/she just going to stay behind the curtain? Or the person is just a prankster whom I definitely had pissed in past but the latter seems the least possible. And how the hell he knows I was planning to go to Manhattan?

But whatever, I'm already here and in no time, when I'd be back at home, I'm going to drag his/her ass out in public and then kick in the balls.

My boss and I left hours ago with the Mercedes-Benz Kol had come to meet  Brian a day ago. I play with my phone, tossing it from one hand to another while thinking to tell my boss about it or not. This messaging actually started after I joined at Mikealsons. Since then, I've been threatened, warned or whatever it is I'm getting. I look at my boss while he converses with Mr. Nicholas Santiago, the broker who is helping sign the deal between our company and the owner, Mr. Hunter Santiago, who is actually his long-distance uncle.
Biting my lips, I conclude that it's too late to tell anything. I always take a decision when I ran out of chance or time. I guess I'm not just naturally blonde but actually a dumb!

And it's just a matter of time when he somehow came to know about it, too, or worse, he may remember the things that happened in the hotel room at L.A. But for the latter, I can bet even if he remembered it, he'd be too ashamed to say a word, let alone apologize.

Putting end to my useless phone-tossing-game, I again act as I'm listening to whatever they are talking. Boss had asked me to observe and learn what kind of people you're dealing with. It's important in business as observing would render you the reliability of the other person.  He further added that most people failed to hide it, but the one who is master in concealing can be only studied by a man who is experienced, like him.

The meeting consisted of four people, including Mr. Hunter who was actually present in the room through the MacBook. Right now, he is in South Korea for urgent purpose, thus the meeting was conducted with the help of technology.

Mr. Santiago thanked boss, shook hands and apologize for making us wait for almost an hour. At that time, boss was struggling to compose himself from exploding at him for wasting his time. Though, he did bother the receptionist from time to time. The only thing other than that contented him was the call from Roseline as things have again started to go smoothly between them after I gave her a bunch of roses with his name. And still, I got no appreciation for that.

Responding calmly at the apology of him, boss gave a not-so-bad smile and turned his heels to the exit, followed by me. We walk past the long, narrow corridors, then down to the first floor and straight to the door.

Before boss can hold the doorknob and open the door, a black, tall figured entered in. We stopped dead at our track, and none of us made a move.

Edward Blake gave the same smile my boss just passed Mr. Nicholas. I first mistook him to be someone else, but his appearance, black hair, black eyes and his black coat and pants against his white skin reflected his demeanor of Satanism. His crooked smile appeared on his lips, making my thoughts confirm that he doesn't mind to be an evil guy. As a matter of fact, he even dresses that way because I'm sure he thinks it creates an impression of fear.

And I'm. I really fear him.

His black eyes which I think is the coldest in the universe darted from my boss to me, then back to boss. To be honest I was surprised to see him here. He shows up strangely as the deal was straight a paper sign and get the land offer, not bidding.

I glance at my boss sideways and by studying his looks, I can tell he wasn't surprised at all, in fact, it seems he was actually expecting him to arrive.

As I am aware that Edward isn't just a cold stone rival of Mikealson's, but he is also his brother, I still haven't had figured out how they grew apart and turned to each other. And the most important question is how bloody and filthy this war between them is going to be? Edward's void, threatening voice still rings inside my mind and it somehow makes me think that there isn't much difference between both of them. 

Brothers, Relatively the same!

"You're late, Edward. The deal is signed. You can't beat me every time." My boss said in a cold, steel voice.

He sighed, not even slightly affected.
"I always beat you, Niklaus. And I definitely came at the right moment."

The glaring competition began once again. Pure loathing is being reflected in their eyes and I feel the urge to slap them in the face with a steel chair. Whatever difference they have, they should actually sit and talk rather than trying to offend each other. If I had a sibling, I'd do anything for him but then, didn't boss loves Kol and Rebekah also?  Then why not him? Why not each other?

"Why are you here, Edward?" Boss prowled.

"Just to remind you that whenever you're so near in achieving something, I'm always behind you to take that away, brother!" He fires in a low but threatening voice, forgetting that I'm standing right here as he just called him his brother. Maybe he's doesn't mind hiding the fact.

"Well, then I suggest you improve your dictionary. I just had what I want, and you can't take that away." He replied with the same intensity.

Ego-brawl.

Edward laughed sarcastically, "If you are talking about the land, then trust me, it's not what I'm talking about. Surely there are other things in my bucket list to do. It's just a matter of time when Kol and Rebekah will turn their back on you and your filthy father. I'll make sure they hate you as much as I do."

Edward remarked very rude and outrageous words that got boss on his nerve. He tried to charge at him and before I could stop him, Edward push his one hand against boss's chest and stop him.

"You don't want another scandal, Niklaus. Media follows us wherever we go." Edward warns.

My boss glimpsed sideways at the people but barely any had paid attention to what just happened.
But he restrained himself. I want to put my hand on his shoulder to tell him that he's not alone or whatever that makes him feel alright. I solely glare at Edward for dragging Kol and Rebekah in between them.

His eyes met mine, this time his iris looked darker. He curt his lips before forming a smirk.
"Caroline, isn't it?" He takes my name with a heavy voice, again so sharp, "I really thought you were the smart girl but you proved me wrong. My bad, my bad. But do you really think that working with these kinds of people will end well for you?"

My boss and I exchange looks. I think he was expecting me to answer him and prove his theories wrong but not a word came out of my mouth.

Edward continues, "Didn't you try to find out what happens to every woman that works with him? He destroys everything he touches."

Well, I was going to tell him that I don't think that about my boss but I definitely know it's true in your case, but boss held my arm and stopped me from responding.
"Let's go." He said quickly, taking me toward the door.

Another hand grabbed my free hand, stopping me from going away. I turned to see Edward. It is him.

-----------------

Updating schedule: Friday and Tuesday.

VOTE AND COMMENT.