John Marston: Matching Scars

John Marston X Female Reader

Summary: You and John had been good friends for a long time but when John fears losing you, he decides that he has to come clean about his feelings for you.

Word Count: 2100

You and John had been best friends for a long time, ever since the pair of you first joined the Van der Linde gang. You had been by each other's side since the beginning. Dutch soon learnt that sending you both out on missions together was the best thing to do because he was pretty sure that you could read each other's minds.

Of course you and John couldn't go on every mission together and even though you are a good fighter John was always worried about you.

You and John had been so close since the beginning that people were surprised to find out that you weren't dating. Everyone had just assumed that you were together but then they saw you flirting with men at the saloon, they asked you both about it and you both told them that there was nothing going on between you both, and then John had a child with Abigail, that seemed to confirm to everyone that you were not dating.

John and Abigail weren't actually in a relationship but they tried to make it work for Jack. You loved Jack but when the boy was born...that was the day that you realised that you were in love with John. Seeing him holding his child that was another woman's made you realise that you wanted that with John, you just wanted him. You knew that there wasn't any feelings between John and Abigail but you couldn't help the way that it made you feel.

Even after Jack was born, you and John remained close, you were still best friends. You spent all your time together, doing missions together, going on pointless horse rides together. Nothing had changed between you.

-----

You had decided to go hunting on your own, to clear your head and relax a little. Charles had taught you all you needed to know about hunting and you had been hunting by yourself many times, so you were confident that everything would be fine. John hadn't been awake when you decided to go hunting so he didn't know about it.

John searched the camp for you but couldn't find you anywhere. He hummed to himself before wandering over to Arthur.

"Hey, have you seen Y/N?" John asked the other man.

"No, nobody has. I think she left before anyone was up" Arthur shook his head, you had been gone before anyone had woken up but they were sure that you would be fine.

"Nobody saw her leave?" John asked, a little irritated by Arthur's unconcerned attitude.

"Sean was on guard duty but he fell asleep" Arthur sighed, it wasn't the first time that Sean had fallen asleep when he was suppose to be standing guard or on watch.

"Oh...okay, I'll see ya later Arthur" John nodded before walking away. He figured that you would be alright, you always were, but that didn't stop him from worrying about you. John couldn't quite explain why he always worried about you so much, he told himself it was because you were his closest friend, you are like family, he wouldn't know what to do with out you.

Arthur chuckled to himself and shook his head, watching John walk away. Even Arthur could see that John was in love with you, everyone could see that, it was obvious. They just couldn't figure out how you were both so oblivious about it.

-----

John fidgeted again, becoming restless. It had been hours since he woke to find you missing from the camp. He was definitely beginning to think that his worrying was justified now. He huffed to himself before walking over to Arthur.