Hosea Matthews: Insecurities

Hosea Matthews X Younger Female Reader

Summary: Hosea starts to become insecure because of his age you remind him that you love him no matter how old he is.

Word Count: 1400

You and Hosea had been dating for a while and it was accepted by the gang pretty quickly. Hosea had been a little worried about what they would think because of the age difference but they actually didn't care, they were just glad that you were both happy.

You are significantly younger than Hosea but you never cared about that, you had fallen for him for who he is not anything related to his age. However, Hosea was bothered by the age difference. He wasn't bothered by it so much because he didn't like the idea of dating a younger woman, you are mature, intelligent, and kind. He felt the same way about you that he would if you were his age, he was bothered by the age difference because of his own insecurities.

During the early stages of the relationship Hosea kept telling you that you deserved somebody else, telling you that you should be with a man your own age, but you always reassured him and told him that you didn't care at all. It was true, you really didn't care about Hosea's age.

After you reassured to the best of your ability, Hosea relaxed and started to stop worrying about it. He decided that he should just enjoy his time with you.

Now you and Hosea have been dating for some time and you are both more than happy. Most of the time everything was perfectly fine. Sometimes Hosea's insecurities come back to bother him but you would always managed to reassure him, and you will keep reassuring him until he believes you.

-----

Hosea was sitting at the campfire, just relaxing for the evening. He coughed and wheezed a little into his hand before clearing his throat and going back to normal, this was pretty common now so the rest of the gang didn't really react to it anymore. Hosea was actually thankful for their lack of reaction, he didn't want people to fuss over him.

"You alright, Hosea? Here have something to drink" you offered him with a smile as you walked up to him, holding a drink out to him.

"Thank you, my dear. You're too kind" Hosea smiled as he took the drink from you, taking a sip.

"Not at all" you smiled before leaning down and pressing a kiss to his cheek.

You smiled once more before turning and walking away, returning to whatever you were doing. Hosea watched you walk away and sighed to himself.

Hosea thought that you deserved someone better, mostly he thought that you deserved someone younger, someone your own age. He knew that he didn't have much longer on this Earth, even if he knew that he had a few more good years in him. But he was also aware that you had many good years ahead of you, he just didn't think it was fair on you.

-----

You had been getting lost in your thoughts a lot, often finding yourself thinking about Hosea. He had been acting a little distant towards you recently, and it was worrying you.

Hosea has been a little distant towards you recently and it was worrying you, so you decided to talk to him about it. It was better than ignoring the issue.

You knew that Hosea was already in your shared tent, so that's where you headed. You stepped inside the tent and closed the canvas behind you again, smiling at Hosea when you saw him standing in the tent, untying his red neckerchief.

"Hey, Hosea" you greeted him with a small smile.

"Getting an early night?" Hosea asked as he returned your smile. You didn't normally go to bed until later.

"I could ask you the same thing" you raised an eyebrow, it wasn't that late and even though Hosea wasn't normally the last to go to sleep, he normally sat at the campfire for a while.

"Just felt like being alone for a minute" he explained, his voice going a little quiet. You knew something was wrong, you just wished that he would just talk to you about it.

"Why's that?" you asked, hoping that he would open up.

"No real reason" Hosea shrugged as he placed the neckerchief down and unbuttoned the top two buttons of his shirt.

"Hosea...what's wrong?" you asked with a sigh.

"What do you mean?" he asked, refusing to look at you as he unbuttoned his waistcoat.

"You've been...different recently, obviously something has been bothering you. What is it?" you asked, stepping towards him.

"It's nothing, nothing for you to worry about anyway" Hosea assured you but you didn't believe him for a second. 

"Well, I'm worrying about it so...tell me. If you can't talk to me about it, who can you talk to?" you asked, trying to encourage him to speak to you. You gently batted his hands away before unbuttoning his waistcoat for him, letting his hands fall tiredly to his sides.

"Are...are you sure that this is what you want?" Hosea asked, looking down at you with a blank expression. You sighed softly when you realised what had been bothering him.

"Do you mean: am I sure that you are what I want?" you asked, looking up at him as you brushed the waistcoat over his shoulders.

"Yes, that's what I mean" Hosea sighed as he sat down on the edge of the cot, while you folded his waistcoat and placed it down.

"Hosea, I have never been more certain about anything" you assured him as you stood in front of him, taking his hands in yours.

"Y/N, no matter how I die you will outlive me by years, decades even" he told you, and you fell silent for a moment. It's true, it was the morbid truth of your relationship. If neither of you got killed, he would be gone long before you.

"...I know and of course that's upsetting. Of course I don't want to lose you so soon and live on without you. But that isn't going to stop me from enjoying my time with you while I have it. We live a life were either of us could die any day. You say that I am going to outlive you but I could get shot tomorrow. I don't care that we might not have a lot of time together, I just want to make that time memorable" you attempted to reassure him. 

"My age really doesn't bother you?" Hosea asked, brushing his thumbs over your knuckles and looking up at you softly.

"Why would it bother me?" you asked, letting go of his hands and running your fingers through his hair.

"Because of the way people look at us when we are in town, I don't have the stamina that I used to have. I'm clearly older than the other men in camp...do you ever...ever wonder if you would be happier with one of them?" he asked, adverting his gaze from yours. 

Before you spoke, you smiled softly at Hosea and moved to straddle his lap. Your fingers still combed through his hair while his hands naturally landed on your waist.

"No, never. I never think that. I love you Hosea, I've never looked at another man. I don't care how people look at us, I don't care what they think, and I think that you need to give yourself more credit. You can easily keep up with the younger men in camp, I've seen you do it. Out there you are the most skilled outlaw I know and in here you are fucking amazing" you assured him, teasing him a little at the end with a small smirk. Hosea blushed a little at your comment and that just made you smile. It was hard to make Hosea blush but you did it!

"You're wonderful. I love you so much" Hosea smiled, stroking his hands up and down your waist. He just felt so lucky to have you.

"I love you too. Now please tell me that you are going to stop worrying about this and accept that I am wildly attracted to you" you smiled, brushing your fingers against his cheek. Hosea chuckled a little at your playfulness.

"I promise" Hosea told you with a smile, you had an amazing talent for making him forget about everything that was bothering him.

You smiled brightly before leaning into him and pressing a sweet kiss to his lips, Hosea instantly kissed you back with a matching tenderness.

Sure, Hosea might get a little insecure at times but he knew that he would be just fine as long as he had you to make everything right again.

Requests?