Arthur Morgan: A New Home Part 2

Arthur Morgan & child reader

Summary: It has been a few years since you joined the Van der Linde gang. You are now about 13 years old and Arthur is teaching you how to shoot a gun.

Word Count: 960

You aimed the revolver out in front of you, aiming at the glass bottle on the fallen tree trunk. You corrected your stance according to Arthur's advice. You steadied the gun, having practised this stance many times so that you wouldn't mess it up. You wanted to make Arthur proud and learn quickly.

"Alright, now just pull the trigger gently, you don't need to put that much pressure on it. Slow and steady" Arthur nodded as he stood behind you, removing his hands from your shoulder.

You paused for a moment, replaying the instructions in your mind, before pulling the trigger just like Arthur told you too.

As you shot the gun, Micah just so happened to be walking past, completely oblivious to the shooting lesson taking place. You didn't see him and he didn't see you until he heard the gunshot and saw the bullet go flying past his face, embedding itself into the tree behind him.

"What the fuck?!" Micah shouted as he turned to you and Arthur, obviously furious. You stared at the man, frozen and wide eyed, still holding the gun up in front of you and unable to move. You had always been a little afraid of Micah and he never seemed to like you.

"Shit, you missed!" Arthur laughed as his hand clasped on your shoulder proudly. You could already picture the wide and amused smile on his face but you were too busy watching Micah, fearing for your life.

"I, uh...,Mr Bell, I'm s-sorry, I didn't mean to!" you apologised as you lowered the gun.

"You don't have to apologise to him" Arthur told you, taking the gun from you when he noticed how afraid you were getting, he was pretty sure that you were shaking. He holstered the revolver without taking his eyes off of Micah.

"You little shit, who let you hold a gun?" Micah asked with a snarl as he started to walk towards you, making you freeze again.

"Back off, Micah. She's just a kid" Arthur growled protectively as he stepped forward, holding his arm out in front of you and moving you to stand behind him.

"A kid who has no right holding a gun" Micah told Arthur, who rolled his eyes. Arthur knew for a fact that Micah was already shooting guns as a child, surely younger than you as well.

"We let you hold a gun, that's more dangerous and irresponsible than letting her own hundreds of guns" Arthur shrugged, still holding you behind him safely.

"Yeah, 'cause I can actually shoot" Micah snarled, shooting you a glare.

"Why do you think I'm teaching her?" Arthur asked sarcastically.

"Watch yourself kid, you pull a stunt like that again and good ol' Arthur Morgan won't be here to protect you" Micah threatened you as he walked a little closer, staring down at you.

"That's enough Micah" Arthur snapped, holding you a little closer to him to try to make you feel safer. Micah shook his head before walking away, mumbling to himself. "You should've just shot him" Arthur sighed and shook his head as he turned to face you.

"He ain't gonna hurt me, is he?" you asked nervously, glancing over your shoulder to get a final glimpse of Micah returning to the camp.

"Of course he isn't, I wouldn't let him. He just likes to scare people"  Arthur assured you. God, he was going to kick Micah's ass for scaring and threatening you like that. "Alright, that's enough for today, we will continue this tomorrow" he smiled at you, deciding that you could continue this when you were less shaken.

-----

It was about two weeks later and you stood in the same place, in the same stance, with Arthur's revolver in your hands. You aimed and pulled the trigger before repeating the action, finally succeeding at shooting all of the glass bottles without missing any of them.

You lowered the gun and smiled brightly at the accomplishment. You turned to Arthur with a bright smile, he was already smiling proudly down at you. He patted your shoulder proudly before taking the gun from you, holstering the gun.

"Good job, kid, already better than Sean" Arthur complimented with a small laugh.

"Well, that doesn't take much" you smiled, making him laugh loudly. You actually loved your uncle Sean, he was a lot of fun but it was also fun to tease him. Arthur patted your shoulder again and shook his head before walking you both back towards the camp.

"Dad?" you asked, looking up at Arthur. It was normal for you to call Arthur 'dad' now, but it still warmed his heart every time.

"Yeah, Y/N?" Arthur asked, looking down at you.

"When are you going to get me my own gun?" you asked with a cheeky smile. Arthur had promised you that he would get you a gun once you proved that you could handle one, and Arthur doesn't lie to you.

"How about we go into town this afternoon?" he suggested, already knowing that it wouldn't be long before you asked him that.

"You're the best!" you cheered as your turned to him, wrapping your arms around his waist to pull him into a big hug. "Thanks dad" you smiled happily into his chest as he wrapped his arms around you, smiling to himself.

Arthur never thought that he would be a good father, he had the chance and he messed it up, but he was given a second chance when he found you. He promised himself that he wouldn't mess it up again, he was going to do right by you.

Requests?