Hosea Matthews and Dutch Van der Linde: Time to Let go

Hosea Matthews X Female Reader
Dutch Van der Linde & Female Reader

Summary: You and Hosea are at the start of a budding romance but Dutch has also developed feelings for you. Then, one day, Dutch walks in on you and Hosea.

Word Count: 1100

You have been a member of the Van der Linde gang for a while now and had quickly grown close to Dutch and Hosea. Dutch had become a very good friend to you, however, you had grown closer to Hosea. A romantic connection had formed between the two of you, one that neither of you could deny.

Dutch knew that you and Hosea were getting close to each other, definitely closer than he was with you. Of course he knew that he should be happy for his friends but he also hated the fact that you were closer to Hosea than himself.

You and Hosea have been getting closer and flirting a whole lot recently. Hosea knew that Dutch liked you, that he had feelings for you, so he tried to be subtle about his own feelings towards you. However, Hosea knew that those feelings would become more difficult to hide when your relationship grew. Hosea had told you that Dutch liked you but you had brushed it off, not really believing it.

After some talking with Hosea and analysing Dutch's behaviour from a new angle, you could see that Hosea was right. Dutch had feelings for you. At first you felt a little bad, guilty for knowing that you were hurting him even though you would never want to do that.

As you and Hosea got even closer, you both decided to hide it from Dutch. He didn't have to see it, neither of you wanted to hurt him

-----

It was subconscious but Dutch tended to try his best to keep you and Hosea apart, but he always ended up feeling guilty about it afterwards. How could he do that to his friends?

It hurt Dutch to see you both together but then he felt guilty for having those feelings. He thought that it was a complete mess.

You and Hosea were talking while you sat together at a table in the camp. Dutch had seen you both together and started to walk towards you both.

"You have a marvellous mind, Y/N" Hosea compliment, a happy and relaxed smile on his face. Dutch could see that Hosea cared for you very deeply, just from the look on his face at this exact moment.

"Ah well, I've learnt from the best" you smiled back, seemingly being a little playful. Dutch could also see that you cared for Hosea as much as he cared for you, even if he didn't want to see it.

You and Hosea were slowly leaning towards each other, Hosea's hand gently clasping yours, his thumb brushing over the back of your hand. Your noses were almost touching and the sight tugged at Dutch's heart, not in a pleasant way.

Dutch hadn't heard the rest of your conversation, only those two sentences, but your proximity made him jump into action. It felt bad about it but he couldn't watch it for any longer.

And just like usual, when you and Hosea were getting a little too friend around camp Dutch suddenly needs his assistance with something, acting like it is a matter of life or death but it's definitely not.

Just like that, Dutch swooped in and asked Hosea for help with something. You and Hosea just smiled at each other, knowing that Dutch didn't actually need help with anything, as he stood up and walked away. Perhaps you should be annoyed at Dutch but you weren't, you couldn't be mad at him for this.

-----

Dutch walked around the camp, looking for you but he couldn't find you anywhere. Your horse was in the camp, and so was Hosea's horse, so you must still be in the camp. He knows that you had been out in town with Hosea all day, and now he wanted some time with you. Part of Dutch still thought that he could win you over even though he knew that you liked Hosea and that Hosea liked you, that wasn't going to change anytime soon.

Dutch walked over to your tent and lifted the canvas, only to freeze at the sight in front of him.

Hosea's body was hovering over yours, one elbow resting beside your head to support his weight while his other hand gently held your waist. You had one arm wrapped around his body, your hand on the back of his shoulder to pull him closer, while your other hand was tangled in his hair.

Hosea's lips were on yours, moving perfectly together in a passionate kiss. Neither of you had heard Dutch lift the canvas, neither of you knew that he was even there.

At first it hurt Dutch, he wished that he was where Hosea was but then something changed. Dutch realised that it was time to let go. He loved you and Hosea more than anything, so he was happy that you are both happy. He truly was. You and Hosea are wonderful together, Dutch could see that. You were meant to be together.

Dutch smiled contently before moving to leave your tent, but his movement grabbed yours and Hosea's attention. You and Hosea pulled away from each other and looked at Dutch, neither of you knowing what to say.

"Don't worry, I was just leaving. I didn't see anything" Dutch told you with a small chuckle, he sounded genuinely okay with this.

"Dutch..." Hosea sighed as he knelt up, maybe the three of you should talk...

"Really Hosea, it's fine. I'll see you both later" Dutch assured you both before just leaving your tent, letting the canvas close behind him.

"Do you think that he is okay?" you asked, looking up at Hosea with a small frown. The last thing either of you wanted was to hurt Dutch.

"Strangely, I do" Hosea nodded, smiling slightly. Hosea knew Dutch better than anyone, he knew that Dutch was used to getting what he wanted but he also knew that Dutch cared about you both very much. Hosea knew that Dutch would be able to move on if given some time to accept your relationship, he just needed time.

You smiled back at him, maybe this would all be okay. You would hate it if the two of you lost Dutch, he was your closest friend.

Hosea brushed his fingers through your hair, reassuring you again, before leaning back down and capturing your lips with his.

Sure, it was going to take some time for Dutch to get used to seeing you and Hosea together like that but he knew that he would be okay eventually. He really did think that you were great together and he was happy for you. Hopefully his feelings for you would fade and the three of you could go back to how you were before, before you and Hosea started hiding your relationship from Dutch in order to protect him.

Requests?