Chapter 30

The party was crazy. There were people everywhere, empty bottles on the floor and a scent of sweat in the air while the music was blasting.

Freddie had rented a house to through Roger his birthday party, it had 3 floors in total as well as a rooftop and a backyard. They sang the happy birthday song on the beginning of the night, while everyone was still sober.

It was maybe 4am when Lee went to the kitchen to grab some vodka.

Alexander? The girl asked confused. Jeez I haven't seen you all night! Where have you been?

She was clearly drunk.

Hum, well... When I arrived, I couldn't spot anyone so just went here but now I've made some friends! Alexander was slightly intoxicated too.

I'm happy for you! You look cute! Lee touched the hem of Alexander's shirt collar touching his skin involuntarily.

He grabbed her hand and stopped her.

You should stop... We are clearly drunk...

You know, I almost didn't see Roger tonight! He is been with the boys and god knows who... And I have been with some girls I just met! They say they are groupies that go to every concert, not only by Queen but Rolling Stones and whatever, so I thought I might blend in with them. And to my surprise, I did!

What do you mean?

I mean that is my boyfriend's birthday party and he ditched me! He went drinking with his friends leaving me behind! Lee was shouting, perhaps hoping Roger would hear her.

Hey, hey, hey... Alexander grabbed Lee looking into her eyes. I'm sure he is just having a little chat and will be right back!

A little chat? She laughed. For two hours? No dear, I'm pretty sure he is fucking some groupie like he always do!

Lee bursted into tears and let herself fall in the kitchen floor.

I've gave up my career so I could help him and his band, I should be doing what I've studied for and what my parents worked their arses for to pay! I work night and day so they can have success and be successful! For what? Him to go and fuck whatever girl he wants!? I have changed all my life for him... I don't even go out with my friends anymore because I have a million things to do...I'm so tired...

Alexander hugged Lee and she squeezed him hard.

You should step out of being manager... and maybe from being Roger's girlfriend! It's consuming you... And looks like he doesn't appreciate you enough! You do everything you can and can't for him, and he just doesn't give the same!

That's what hurts me the most... I can't leave him, I can't live without him, I love him and it's killing me! I know I should at least just be his girlfriend, but I made a promise... I can't step out, not for now!

Lee?

Alexander and Lee looked up and found Roger looking down at them in disbelief.

Do you really feel like that?

I should leave you alone... Alexander got up and left.

Lee... Roger bent his knees so he could be at her level. Is that what you feel?

Roger... I love you but— being your manager has been a pleasure, but I can't do it anymore... I'm tired, I don't sleep well... And I feel you guys don't appreciate my work! And I put my blood, sweat and tears in it...

We do baby...

Roger pushed Lee up and brought her closer to him.

If you don't feel comfortable in this job anymore, it's fine... This is not even your field, we'll find someone...

Thank you... Lee rested her head on Roger's chest.

Now, I want to keep you in my life! I know you get really fragile when I'm not around and you assumed always that I'm cheating on you... But I've told you many times that I would never do that, didn't I? Roger looked down at Lee with both his hands holding her face.

Yes, yes you did... I'm sorry...

Roger and Lee kissed and hugged and stayed like that for a while.

By the kitchen door, Alexander listened to the couples conversation and he couldn't wrap his mind on how Roger had Lee on his hands, he could do anything, and he could talk his way out of it. He had Lee wrapped around his pinky.

Moron. Hethought as he leaved the house.

____________________________________________________

uff, stressful...