Chapter 103

July 1996

For Roger's birthday, he decided to throw a party at his house in Surrey and invited Lee and Ana, which invitation made it to the covers of the magazines.

Roger and Debbie prepared a table for the grown-ups and for the children, so his children, Brian's, Deaky's and some of his partners from The Cross, could play all together while the adults could keep an eye on them. Ana was a very timid kid and at first didn't want to go play with the rest of the kids and insisted on staying by her mother's side, but with the help of Laura, Deaky's only daughter that was 9, the little blonde girl joined the other kids.

Dad, can I borrow your car to go meet with my mates? Robert asked.

Look at him all grown-up asking for the car... Lee said making fun of his godson.

We didn't even sang happy birthday... Can you wait a little?

Whatever... Robert relaxed on his chair lightning a cigarette.

Not at the dinner table! Veronica snatched the cigarette out of his mouth. Robert got up and joined his brothers.

God, when did he become so grown-up? Lee was mindblowned.

I know... Deaky sipped on his beer. Veronica got up to go help her baby, Cameron.

Lee, I need to talk to you!

Oh my god, you too? Ana isn't-

No, no, it's not about that... and I believe you!

What is it then?

Deaky got closer to her.

I'm retiring.

Lee was not expecting that.

W-why? She managed to say.

Without Freddie, the band doesn't makes sense anymore... No one can replace him and without him we can't go on!

No one can replace him, but you can go on without him! You guys are so talented, and Freddie would want for you to carry on with this legacy!

I don't know... He looked in the direction of the kids running around and playing.

Lee understood what he meant.

I'm going to retire gradually during next year. I want to be by my kids side, Robert and Michael had such an absent father and Veronica had to deal with all of them all by herself... I want to be there when Cameron starts to walk properly, I want to drive Luke to his first day of school! I wanna be home... Deaky hold on to Lee's hands that was trying to not cry.

Whatever you wanna do, I support you Deaky! Always! They smiled to each other.

Thank you!

Have you told them yet? Lee asked pointing to Brian and Roger.

No... But I think they know.

_______________________________________________________

my heart has a soft spot for deaky forever :,)