CHAPTER 71

A beautiful lady, clad in simple and elegant green sari, was sitting on her knees on the grass, putting mud in the pot. She felt a tug on her pallu and looked to her side. She smiled seeing her 5 year old son with a frown on his face.

"Ma, you scold me when I play with mud and now you're playing with mud. That's very bad", said her son.

The lady laughed a little at his scolding tone, "I am not playing with it Chottey, I am putting the mud in this pot for a plant, see here", said the lady and showed Arnav a very small rose plant, which had a one tiny red bud on it.

Little boy looked on with fascination as his mother put the plant in pot, adjusted mud around it, give it little water and place it to side and explained to him how after few days there will be more followers on it. The little boy will go to garden every day to see whether there are more flowers on it or not and he was very happy when one day he found two other small red buds. He run to kitchen and squealed telling his mother about it, his mother laughed at his excitement as he pulled her hand, dragging her towards the garden.

(Scene changes ...)

9 year old Arnav was sitting on his bed, drawing on his sketch pad. He had good skills in drawing and love to draw and coloring. But right now he was not enjoying, rather he was sad and angry. A girl of 13 yrs tiptoe into the room and went to bed, suddenly she hugged Arnav, "Happy Birthday Chottey", she exclaimed loudly.

"DII ...", Arnav shouted in irritation, "I am not chottey, and go from here", he jerk her hand.

Anjali roll her eyes, she was use to his temper going on and off, "Ok fine, Arnav, here this is for you", said Anjali putting a wrapped gift in his lap.

"I don't want it, go away", said Arnav rather rudely and Anjali got up from bed feeling hurt, "You are so bad Arnav, fine I won't talk to you EVER ...", Anjali shouted the last word and stormed out of his room. Arnav sighed and pushed his sketch pad away.

He didn't want to hurt his sister, he was angry on his father. He doesn't care for his children and as usual was away to some other city. It's evening and his father still haven't even wished his son happy birthday and it hurt Arnav very much. So he had been sitting in his room since morning. Arnav went out of the room to apologies to his Di. He didn't find her in kitchen, living room, his mom's room and even in her room. Then he went towards lawn, he couldn't see properly as the light wasn't on. And its dark now. He went to the switch and turn on all light. When he turns he heard a loud chorus of "Happy Birthday Arnav".

He got astonish to see his mother, sister, nana, nani, mamaji, mami and Akash standing some distance away around a table which had a cake lit with candles. He got happy seeing his Nana, Nani and others. He run to his Nani and hugged her. Nani smiled and ruffle his hair. He greeted his Nanaji, Mamaji, Mamiji and Akash. His mother lovingly kiss his cheek. When he turned to his sister, she turned her face away. Arnav hold his ears, "I am sorry Di, please forgive me, I won't do it again".

Anjali look at him, "You always say this and then always shout on me", she pouted. She cannot remain angry on her chottey, she loved him too much.

"And you always forgive me Di", smiled Arnav teasingly. Arnav's mother smile wide and look lovingly at her children. Arnav takes his Di hand and put it above his and then cut the cake and celebrated his birthday with his relatives. That day he decided if his father doesn't care for him, then he won't care for him either.

(Scene changes ...)

"Kaka hold it tightly, don't you dare let it fall", said 14 year old Arnav in warning tone, as he made his away to his mother's room.