Blinded

This is Lyra. Not my photo. I used a customization app. She also wears a navy blindfold that I couldn't get in. The name is in the bottom left corner. I don't own anything but my OC. I hope you enjoy!
-Rose
---------
Lyra's POV

I was 8 when it happened. The fire nation attacked our village. I was with mom. I was helping her do laundry. I giggled staring deep into my mother's crystal blue eyes which shined with warmth. She stroked my cheek, smiling softly.

Suddenly a fire nation man entered. He seemed to be an admiral. My mom pushed me behind her in a protective motion.

"Stay behind me." She said firmly, her eyes shining with fear. Though she attempted to mask it. I hadn't realized it yet.

I nodded clutching the back of her jacket tightly.

He walked forward, when suddenly the door to our igloo was opened.

It was Katara!

"Mom, Lyra!" Katara yelled her eyes shined with unmasked fear.

The soldier looked to her seemingly amused.

"Katara!" My small voice cried out.

I was terrified.

"Just let her go, and I'll give you the information you want." My mom promised.

Her warm hands held me close to her back as I sobbed in terror.

"You heard your mother, get out of here!" He shouted at Katara.

I sobbed more into her coat and mom tried to soothe me.

"Mom, I'm scared." Katara shook.

Mom looked at her with a gentle smile tryingto calm her.

"Go find your dad, sweetie. I'll handle this." Mom promised, urging her away.

Katara gave a hesitant nod as the soldier glared down at her. She raced out urgently.

I hoped dad made it in time.

"Now tell me, who is it? Who's the waterbenders?" The soldier ordered more then asked. I clutched tightly to mom like an arctic mouse rabbit.

I glared at him sniffling and wiped my glove over my nose.

The air around me lifted as small snowflakes rose into the air, invisible to the eye. Though you could certainly feel the change. I still held to mom though.

"There are no waterbenders here. The fire nation took them all away a long time ago." Mom lied smoothly. Protecting Katara.

"You're lying. My source say there's two waterbenders left in the southern tribe. We're not leaving until we find the waterbenders!" The soldier said with a glare, his mouth tasting her lie easily.

She stared at me confused as something clicked. Her eyes went wide.

She looked at me sadly in resignation and vowed her head to the man.

"If I tell you do you promise to leave the rest of the village alone?" Mom asked bowing her head.

He nodded hesitantly in response.

My eyes went wide as I realized what shewas doing.

'Mom, no!'

My hands went up on their own as I bunched my fists.

A dome of water formed from the ice. Protecting us.

The soldier snickered appearing to get his answer. He pulled me from her arms breaking the dome easily and grbbed me from the hood on my parka, I clawed desperately trying to grab or hit anything I could.

Mom stood quickly in protest as she grabbed the wrist of the firebender but hissed in pain as he superheated his arm, she still did not release him from the vice.

"Let her go! I'll tell you just let her go!" Mom promised. I swung wildly against him, screaming and punching, the snow and ice still fogging the air.

The soldier nodded and dropped me easily onto the ground. Though he still gripped my arm.

"No, momma! Don't do it!" I shouted my protests.

"It's me" Mom lied "take me as your prisoner." She lied, her eyes downcast.

The soldier released me grinning like a predator.

"I'm afraid I'm not taking prisoners today..." he smiled his eyes shining with glee, and excitement.

My eyes went wide as he moved in slow motion.

Realization hit us both a moment too late and my mothers eyes went wide with horror, and I managed to release myself from his grip.

He sent a fiery projectile at my mom. Her face showed shock and horror as I jumped in front of her. Adrenaline burned in my veins.

Heat burned my eyes as my vision went black. I heard horrified scream as I fell and she fell beside me, seconds afterwards. She was still alive as I fell unconscious, but not before the smell of blood hit my nose as blade met skin and bones.

Apparently, when dad had arrived I was badly injured in both eyes to the point that not only would I be scarred forever, but I'd be completely blind as well.

Mom's body was still there but had been thrown to the side like old animal skins that was too old to repair.

The fire nation man was nowhere to be seen minus the evidence of carnage hed left behind.

The firebenders had retreated after decidingthey had tormented us enough. We were safe. Dad had gathered the best healers for me as I struggled to stay alive. But there was none who could restore my vision. Though they managed to bring the scarring to a minimum. I still wore a blindfold to cover my eyes.

Katara had told me how they looked after they'd healed. She said my eyes were milky white. Almost like snow.

My eyes, she said the once blue part was cloudy and unclear. Almost like ice reflecting a blue sky.

For several years after, gran gran helped dress me. Then when dad left the duty fell to Katara (Gran Gran was too old), who taught me how to dress myself on my own.

It was humiliating, at least it felt humiliating. Years before I'd been perfectly fine. But now I was blind.

Now I couldn't even dress myself.

Though eventually as I said, I did learn.

I even found a special technique. I turned the snow into mist. It was difficult but I learned over time.

I learned to see with the water molecules in the air.

I couldn't see color, but it was more accurate. I could see people approaching from around me.

No one snuck up on me.

I was unsure about places with very little water as I'd never been anywherebut the north pole.

I was still practicing condensing water. It was difficult. But with it I could go anywhere with a water source. At least that was what I hoped. It was peaceful again.

But that all changed when Katara and Sokka went on a fishing trip...

Sooo first chapter is out. I hope you guys enjoyed all rights go to proper owners. I only own my OC's. To clear things up. Lyra is Katara's twin. Anyway until next time. Have a good day. Stay safe and healthy. Bye my Bookworms. I hope you enjoyed it!
-Rose