Christmas Prompts (24/25)

Ship: Ethan x Percy
Prompt: Neighbours who are too stupid to realise they both just spent Christmas alone when they could have spent it together.

Percy smiled, somewhat awkwardly, his hand raised in a sign of acknowledgement as he tipped his head forward once.

The reaction he received was somewhat similar, just a simple tilt of the head.

Percy worried his bottom lip between his teeth, looking around the smaller corridor before walking over to the other man, stood outside a door a few feet away from Percy's own.

"Hi Ethan."

The man's, Ethan's, eyebrow twitched, as if contemplating rasing up towards his forehead.

"Hello, Ethan."

Percy smiled, happy this was one of those times where he actually got a proper response from the other man.

"So, how was your Christmas?"

"It was good." He nodded.

Percy tried for a small smile, used to the man's minimal word use but still oddly hurt by it.

Even after so many years of living just a few doors apart, Percy never recieved more than ten words in a conversation with Ethan. Even if he'd managed to keep it going for over an hour, somehow.

A lot of their interactions were one-sided, or barely just bordering it.

Not that Ethan minded, he found he could listen to Percy natter on for hours, as proven by the few times it had actually happened.

Percy stood there, smiling softly as he stared  at Ethan, so obviously stalling. Neither one had any need to stay outside in the hall, especially since they'd just been on their way back inside their homes just moments before.

Ethan watched, intrigued, as Percy's fingers twitched once or twice, knowing by now that he needed something to occupy him. Despite this, Percy seemed set on staying with Ethan, no matter how much he fidgeted.

Feeling generous, Ethan decided to prolong his exit. Just for Percy.

"You?"

Even with Percy, Ethan never used a lot of words, though he spoke the most with Percy. Sometimes, Percy wouldn't understand. Mostly however, Percy knew what Ethan meant, trying at the same time to understand and abide by his suppressive nature.

For that, Ethan tried to appear grateful. He just wasn't very good at it.

"It was nice. A bit boring perhaps. Christmas for one, ey?"

Although his outer appearance stayed the same, Ethan was quite taken aback.

"...You spent it alone?"

Percy huffed a dry, slightly nervous laugh, his eyes flicking down to the ground.

"Well no one wants to spend it with me, do they? I act like an immature child, as well as an excitable puppy at the same time. In short: I'm a pain to be around. I'm even worse at Christmas."

Unconsciously, Ethan's eyes narrowed and his eyebrows furrowed.

"I don't think so."

Percy looked up, surprised. He tilted his head to one side in confusion.

"You don't think what?"

"That you're a pain."

Percy had to hold back a scoff, a look of disbelief flicking across his face briefly.

"You don't?"

"No. In fact, a Christmas shared with you sounds rather lovely."

Percy's eyes widened, his mouth parted slightly.

"It does?!"

"Yes."

Percy jumped at Ethan, wrapping his arms around him as a laugh bubbled its way out of his throat.

Ethan grunted, feeling a bit put off by the hug.

"Oh, right, sorry. No touching. And definitely no hugging."

The corner of Ethan's lips twitched, thinking back to when Percy first asked if he could hug him, all those years ago.

"Maybe, a hug from you is not the worse thing."

Percy's face practically lit up, a smile spreading across his face happily.