Nobody Camper

Some one-sided shit.

Loving your sister's boyfriend was hard.

Loving your sister's ex boyfriend was even harder.

And Malcolm, well, Malcolm just had to do both, didn't he?

He was one of the first -  if not the first - to notice the beginning blooms of Percy and Annabeth's feelings.

And it hurt.

Watching your older sister be best friends with the person you'd liked from afar for so long, was painful.

Watching your older sister pine hopelessly over the person you'd liked from afar for so long was, it was different. It made Malcolm's heart clench and his breathing stop. It made the world around him feel like it was spinning.

But then, watching the person you'd liked from afar for so long pine after your older sister too, it was just. Soul-crushing.

But Percy wasn't Malcolm's friend, didn't even know him past Annabeth's little brother, really. Without Annabeth, there was a good chance Percy wouldn't even know of his existence.

So Malcolm just acted in sly looks and free time.

It was masochistic really, how hard Malcolm tried to pair his older sister with his own crush.

What was worse was that no one could compare to Percy Jackson.

And Malcolm did everything he could to distract himself from Percy Jackson, but nothing ever worked.

Even over the span of a few years, still nothing.

No one's smile ever grew as bright as Percy's, no one's eyes ever lit up the way Percy's did.

No one else existed when Percy was in the room.

And so Malcolm always tried to bury himself a little further into his studies. It worked for the most part.

But then Malcolm would hear Percy's name (which wasn't surprising since everyone talked about the son of Poseidon) and his fists would clench and his mind would refuse to focus.

That was usually the time when Malcolm headed over to the arena to train, to let out his frustration.

He'd ignore Percy who was often in there training, or maybe teaching a class, and just let him think he was some nobody camper.

He didn't have to try hard however. After all, he really was just another nobody camper.

And then, after the Giant War, Percy and Annabeth split up. Romantically, they'd drifted apart. Platonically, they'd only grown closer. Malcolm guessed that's just what Tartarus did to people.

And so, selfishly, pathetically, Malcolm had allowed himself to hope.

To hope that maybe, just maybe, he could have a chance with Percy Jackson.

No. No, he couldn't. The answer became pretty apparent the moment he found Percy with his hands cupping Nico di Angelo's jaw, the younger boy's hands placed lightly on Percy's waist.

And Malcolm just, huffed a laugh, his gaze falling to the ground.

Of course. Of course, now that Percy and his sister had broken up, someone else would swoop in to take Percy away from Malcolm.

And that person just so happened to be Nico di Angelo.

Malcolm's gaze didn't lift from the floor as he turned around, heading straight to the arena.

Malcolm's gaze didn't move from the dummy he was hacking away at as he heard the mutterings about Percy and Nico's relationship start. He didn't even flinch. He'd been expecting it obviously.

He just didn't understand.

Why, out of all of the nobody campers, did Percy have to pick Nico? Why couldn't he have picked Malcolm?

Malcolm inhaled deeply before going at the dummy a little faster, a little harder.

Well, back to being a nobody camper for Malcolm then.