Be Your Friend Part 1

For Honeyboo_02.

Silena made friends easily. It didn't matter if it was at a summer camp for demigod teens or on a monster cruise ship. Silena was a bright, lively, extroverted beauty, so of course friendship came easily to her.

Even so, no friendship, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant, was ever considered unimportant to her.

So when, on his first ever day at camp, Percy Jackson seemed to take a rather intense liking to her, Silena decided she had been in severe need of a new doll for a while now. Ever since her last one had proved to be emotionally unavailable whenever it came to anything that didn't have even the slightest relation to violence.

Now, of course, by 'doll', Silena meant best friend.

And Percy Jackson proved to be a very magnificent best friend. Doll.

Charles Beckendorf had a girlfriend. A girlfriend who, besides his siblings, was the only person he ever spoke fondly to. The only person he could speak more than a few words to, unprompted.

And then came Percy Jackson, a young, bright (as in happy, so, so happy) boy who didn't know a thing about boundaries. Both mental and physical.

Suddenly, Silena wasn't the only one Charles could rant to, unprompted. The only difference was that when talking to Percy, Charles wasn't eagerly explaining some new invention, or a complicated piece of equipment. No, Charles was telling Percy to leave him alone, or to at least, 'please, put the sharp object down'.

---

Charles Beckendorf didn't seem to have many friends. None, if you didn't count his siblings or girlfriend. Which is why Percy was so confused when it came to Charles rejecting his advances of friendship.

Percy would love to have someone literally beg for his friendship, not because it gave him some power trip or something, but because surely then, it meant that people other than his mom were capable of liking him.

At least Silena seemed to like him.

---

"Charles! Silly! Wait up."

Oh no, Percy had spotted them.

The couple, currently taking a quiet route through the surrounding woods at camp, stopped walking. They waited silently as Percy ran to catch up with them.

When he did, his large grin began to slowly slip off his face, suddenly unsure at the looks on their faces.

"Percy, you've seen what things are like at camp. If you wouldn't mind, you know," Silena gestured down at their hands, their fingers entwined. "Giving us a moment, that would be very much appreciated."

Percy blinked, confused, his head tilting to one side.

"A moment?"

Charles sighed, his grip on Silena's hand loosening significantly.

Without a word, Charles kissed his girlfriend on the cheek before heading off in the direction of camp.

At that, Percy's face slowly morphed into one of obvious distress.

"Why doesn't he like me?"

---

"I don't dislike you, you know."

Percy ignored Charles, slashing and hacking at a dummy in ways that he secretly hoped would make Luke proud.

"Percy."

Percy let out a shout of frustration, launching his sword as far away from him as he physically could, not even wincing as the sword clanged loudly against the wall of the arena. Percy spun around so that he was facing the older boy.

"What do you want, Beckendorf?"

Charles showed no outward signs of surprise, however, Percy's use of his last name shocked him deeply. It also, maybe, worried him slightly.

Charles didn't see a problem with giving it a try, so:

"To be your friend." He said.

Percy sniffed as he grumpily crossed the arena in order to fetch his sword.

"Don't mock me. I'm sick of everyone mocking me."

He resumed attacking the poor dummy.

"Percy, I'm not mocking you." He paused, briefly. "I want to be your friend."

"Why?"

Charles blinked, confused.

"Why what?"

"Why now? Why me?" Just as he said the last word, he stabbed his sword through the chest of the dummy, emphasising his already clear frustration. "Why?"

Charles decided to just be honest.

"Because you're upset."

Percy sniffed again, his back conveniently turned towards Charles.

"Am not."

"So you don't want to be my friend?"

Charles' lip twitched slightly.

"... I didn't say that."

"You didn't." Charles repeated.

"Yes."

This time, Charles did smile.

"Yes, what?"

Percy turned to face the other boy, his eyes wet and face sad.

"I want to be your friend."