Christmas Prompts (11/25)

Ship: Lukercy
Prompt: I broke into your house but you caught me. So now I'm 'one of Santa's elves'.

Percy jolted awake at the sound of a crash, the sound having come from downstairs. Freaked out and half-asleep, Percy stood up and started making his way towards the sound slowly, only just managing to grab the thing closest to him.

He closed the door to the guest bedroom gently, still afraid of breaking something expensive.

His friend, Rachel, was spending two weeks at her parents house for Christmas - not willingly, everyone knew she'd rather be anywhere else - and had asked Percy to housesit for her.

She had graciously offered up the guest room that was 'basically Percy's anyway' with how much he felt the need to stop.

Now, living in Rachel's mansion of a house scared Percy, even if it was only for two weeks.

Percy continued on his way, tiptoeing across the hall and down the stairs.

Having snuck down the stairs during the night many times, Percy knew which steps to avoid, the ones that liked to randomly creak.

See Rachel, midnight snacks were important.

And she called him silly.

Who was silly now, huh Rachel?

Still you.

The small voice at the back of his mind sounded suspiciously like Rachel, something not uncommon.

Percy's voice of reason often tended to do that, swap between the voices of his friends.

Percy hid behind the wall outside of the living room for a second before charging slowly into the room, his arms outstretched as if to show off the object clutched tightly in his hands.

Stood next to the large Christmas tree was a man, in his late twenties by the looks of it.

Percy tilted his head to one side, confused.

"I thought Santa was old and fat."

Shut up Percy.

You shut up Rachel.

The man paused, removing his arm from within a large red bag.

He turned to Percy, an eyebrow raised, his face serious.

"You're like, the opposite."

Percy.

Not now Rachel.

"Because I'm not Santa?"

"Then why else would you be stood next to the very pretty and expensive tree with a large bag?"

The man looked dumbfounded, his mouth open slightly in shock.

The man's eyebrows furrowed, signalling that he was thinking.

"Because I'm a thief?"

Percy looked a bit more awake, but still tired.

"Oh my gods, you're one of Santa's elves. He must be really busy so you're helping him out."

The man blinked several times, staring at Percy as if he was stupid.

That's because you are Prissy.

Ah, how joyous were the times when Clarisse was his 'voice of reason'.

Not only did it take on the voices of his friends, it also tended to take on a few of their personality traits too.

How fun.

"Yes. That. I'm an... elf. Helping Santa out because he's... busy. Yes, me. Elf, yes. Definitely, yes."

Percy pulled a face, as if he found what the man said stupid, or unbelievable.

"Careful, you almost sound like that's not true."

"I-"

The man cut himself off, opening and closing his mouth several times in hopes that he'd manage to get some words out.

"Right, you're right. I should be more careful when I... tell the truth."

Percy nodded sympathetically, as if the man truly needed Percy to feel sorry for him. Feel sorry for him because he couldn't 'tell the truth' convincingly enough.

It was only then that the man noticed the old, frayed bear now hugged tightly to Percy's chest.

"Were you going to, attack me, with a teddy bear?"

"Huh?"

Percy looked down sleepily, making a noise of understanding when he caught sight of the fladed blue fur.

He looked up, 'like an innocent child' the man thought briefly.

His eyes still trained on the mysterious man stood by his friend's tree, Percy took a seat on the, in his opinion, very comfy couch.

Percy placed the old bear to his side gently, leaning forward to place his elbows on his thighs and rest his head on his hands.

"So."

The man looked a little freaked out.

"So?"

"What's it like being one of Santa's elves? Do you all have special elf names?"

The man, slowly, moved to take a seat on the couch opposite Percy.

"It's... Great. Really great. You know, living at the North Pole and all. And yeah, we all have 'special elf names'. Mine is Luke."

Percy perked up, smiling slightly.

"It's nice to meet you Luke."

They talked for about an hour, Percy asking question after question and the man - Luke - answering each and every one of them with a well-thought-out answer.

Every ten minutes or so, Percy would nod off, only to jolt awake again and mumble out the next question. It took him only a few minutes to get back to squealing incoherently again.

After an hour, Luke moved Percy so he was laying down, sprawled out across the couch.

He took the fancy looking throw blanket that rested over the back of the couch, placing it so it covered Percy completely.

He made sure the old blue bear was tucked safely in Percy's arms before leaving, heading out the way he came in.

He left his duffel bag by the tree, unable to make himself take the things inside it from Percy.

Once the window was closed behind him securely, Luke was off, heading home.

As he ran through the dark, Luke pondered on what to tell the others.

Not the truth, obviously.

Why would he do that when he wouldn't even admit the truth to himself?

And he couldn't just tell them what was on repeat in his head either.

You don't like him. You don't like him. You don't like him.

He likes him.

Likes the weird boy with the old blue teddy bear, sleepy yet hopeful eyes and wild imagination.

You don't like him.

He likes him.

Why would you?

How could he not?