Christmas Prompts (17/25)

Ship: Hermes x Percy
Prompt: You keep stealing from me, hoping I'd notice you.

Percy was getting fed up now.

Every morning, he would wake up to something missing.

Two days ago, for example, he was missing every blue bauble off of his Christmas tree.

Even worse, yesterday he found the entire tree gone, tinsel and all.

The only thing left was a single silver bauble with a caduceus printed onto it.

That was the thing, Percy's thief (as in Percy was the theif's victim, not that the thief belonged to Percy) wasn't even bothering to be discreet.

Percy knew exactly who it was, as made obvious by the caduceus markings he always found after.

(Obviously, to start with, he hadn't known who it was exactly. There was an entire cabin full of possible suspects. He'd had to ask around a bit to come to the conclusion he had.)

The only good thing was that the missing item was always returned the next day. But then Percy would find something else missing.

Today however, Percy couldn't even muster a tiny smile, a fake chuckle.

He'd been woken up early due to a nightmare, and had had trouble getting back to sleep. Eventually, he'd just given up and decided to make himself some breakfast.

It was only on his was back into bed - after a very tasty breakfast - that he finally noticed what was missing.

At first, he didn't know how to react. He couldn't find it in himself to be angry, though he felt like he should be.

Sad, he decided. He felt very sad. Upset, he also felt upset.

There, on his nightstand, was an empty space.

An empty space that had been filled with a photo frame merely hours before.

Perct exhaled deeply, slowly letting out the breath he'd been unknowingly holding in.

He felt like he was moving on autopilot, almost like he was watching himself from outside his body. Like he was somebody else completely.

To most people, the missing photo probably would have meant a lot, but it wouldn't have been anywhere near as important as it is to Percy.

The photo was of him and his mother, a picture taken a little over seven years ago now.

They were at Montauk. Big, happy smiles lay on their faces, smiles so rarely genuine.

The photo meant so much to Percy, having been taken only hours before he lost his mother.

In the moment, he'd thought he'd lost her forever.

He hadn't, fortunately. He'd got his mother back in the end and he'd never been more thankful for anything in his life.

Losing that photo was almost like losing his mother all over again.

He found himself standing up - when did he even sit down? - before slowly making his way into the living room.

His mom and Paul were in bed still, so was Percy's sister Estelle.

He stood in front of the tree for a while, simply just staring at it.

He didn't move once, not even when he heard movement behind him.

"Percy?"

Percy didn't respond to the voice, having not heard it.

"Percy? Come on, Percy please. Percy, at least turn around. Please?"

Percy shook his head slightly, trying to bring himself out of the daze he'd forced himself into.

He'd caught the last part of what was said, recognising the voice immediately.

He took a deep breath before turning, dragging his feet in a single circular motion.

He stared over at the god in front of him, his face blank.

Stared at the one rebellious curl that fell into his eyes.

At the deep sky blue of his irises.

This was the man, the god, who'd been stealing from him for the past month now.

Percy's gaze moved quickly, drawn to the dark oak photo frame in the god's hands.

"I took it. I didn't think it had so much meaning, could have so much meaning to you. I took it and you look broken and I'm sorry. I took it and I broke you. I don't want you to be broken."

Percy blinked sluggishly, watching Hermes hold out the frame for Percy to take.

So Percy did, immediately clutching the photo to his chest as soon as he had it in his hands.

Percy went to speak, to thank Hermes for bringing it back but then he caught sight of his mother's smile and his mind blanked.

He turned, ready to head back to his room to put the photo back when he caught sight of the large silver tree that the god had returned this morning.

Percy paused, standing still for a moment.

"Merry Christmas Hermes."

And then Percy was off, slowly shuffling back to his room, unaware of the god's longing (also heartbroken) expression.

Hermes stayed, watching Percy's retreating figure until he was gone.

When he spoke again, his voice came out a sad mumble.

"Merry Christmas Percy."