Unique

I already know what pairing this is gonna be, I wanna see if anyone can guess it though.

Some people didn't like unique.

Some thought unique was weird.

Some thought unique was bad.

Some treated the unique in ways they themselves wouldn't want to be.

So what if they were different? They were human too.

Except, this one group of uniques weren't exactly... human.

People dedicated their lives to find these uniques.

Families became known for coming the closest.

It was tradition in those families. At sixteen, you've had enough training. Now off you go.

Uniques spent their lives in hiding. They belonged in big groups, needed that comfort and knowledge that someone was there.

Most however, spent their lives alone. They were often lucky to even find one other unique to spend their lives with.

Humans had ripped away all chances of happiness for uniques.

One group of uniques, merely a group of teens, had spent their lives in hiding together.

They'd grown up together, promised their parents they'd keep each other safe.

The oldest - only sixteen - was Percy. He kept the group's spirits up. He worried for everyone. He was like the group mom. He was such a mother hen that the others didn't know where they'd be without him. He was kind, gentle and loving.

The second oldest - Piper - was also sixteen. Just under a year younger than Percy. She made sure Percy didn't overwork himself, reminded him that he wasn't alone and had them to help him.

The third oldest - Nico - was fourteen and particularly protective over Hazel, their youngest. She was like a little sister to him. He'd only had a few interactions with his biological sister. From what he could remember, she'd been awesome. Sometimes he hated the fact that he even remembered her at all. Would it still hurt if he hadn't met her?

The youngest - Hazel - was thirteen and was the gem of the group. When Percy felt like his optimism was running low, when he cried himself to sleep away from the others, her innocence was what kept him going.

They were family. And family stuck together.

The uniques had been in Canada when they bumped into a group of humans.

The humans had saved their lives, they decided to trust them for now.

Percy was scared, they'd been with that group of humans for two months now. They'd taken them in, given them a place to stay. They were staying in one of the human's grandma's house. Frank insisted it was too big for just the three of them anyway.

It wasn't that he was scared of the humans, they were nice and he'd actually become good friends with all three of them. No, he was scared because they had each gotten suspiciously close with a certain member of Percy's little group each.

He didn't want to lose these kids. He'd raised them from a young age. From when it was just him and Piper, to when they found Hazel.

He remembered when it had just been him and Piper. He'd been a scared one-year-old stuck with a new born. He was cold and alone. It was so scary. He didn't understand what they were yet. Wasn't able to read the notes their parents had left him.

He'd taught himself to read, taught the others too when they were old enough. He'd sneak around at night, keeping to the shadows, trying to find clothes and food for the both of them. He taught himself to hunt. He crafted his own weapons.