Someone Help Nico Part 2

Warning: Swearing.

Dark.

There is so many definitions of the word, and yet, in a way, they all mean the same thing.

Dark

adjective
1. with little or no light.
"it's too dark to see much"

• (of a theatre) closed; not in use.
"when I came to work here, over half the West End theatres were dark"

2. (of a colour or object) not reflecting much light; approaching black in shade.
"dark green"

• (of someone's skin, hair, or eyes) brown or black in colour.
"dark curly hair"

• (of a person) having dark skin, hair, or eyes.
"a tall, dark girl"

3. (of a period or situation) characterised by great unhappiness or unpleasantness.
"the dark days of the war"

Nico hates it. Hates this. Just the thought of the word dark sends Nico's mind astray, rearranging itself until it deeply resembles a Google search.

He knows dark can refer to many things. People, places, colours, objects. They can all be dark, just in different - yet the same - ways.

Nico's always felt a little dark. On the inside, on the outside. He doesn't know how, why, he just is.

Everything around him is dark. He can't remember how long things have been this way. He doesn't, can't, know more than the dark. The dark that surrounds him, suffocates him. Is him.

Light.

Just like dark, there is so many different definitions of the word. They all mean different, yet the same, things.

Light

noun
1. Percy.
"-my boyfriend?"
"Your boyfriend."
"You, my boyfriend?"
"Me, your boyfriend."

Just like dark, there is so many different definitions of the word light, and yet, to Nico, there is only one.

Light

noun
1. Percy.
"My Percy?"
"Your Percy."

His Percy. His Percy. His light.

But his light is gone.

(It's not. Somewhere in the back of his mind, Nico knows that. Knows it, he, isn't gone. Nico is gone. Nico is the only one trying to put out his light. Whether he means to or not.)

Percy held his breath, thankfully able to hold it for long periods of time thanks to being a son of Poseidon.

There was roar from somewhere nearby.

Shit, he thought.

Now is not the time to be thinking of him, them.

Percy's eyes slowly drifted closed, an after effect of all his sleepless nights.

But how could he sleep when his boyfriend is still gone?

Nico awoke to the sound of a branch being swung around, hitting leaves, trees. The cave wall.

...The cave wall.

Someone was in his cave.

Nico jumped up, immediately alert. It didn't take long for him to locate the sound. It was coming from near the entrance to his cave, far away from where Nico had set up camp.

Footsteps (they were more stomps really) accompanied the sounds, presumably human.

Nico rolled his eyes, scowling. He expected to find some grumpy teenager who had just ventured too far into the woods.

Nico let the shadows engulf him, providing him strength, comfort.

He shadow traveled to a few feet behind the - as Nico thought - distressed teenager.

Nico watched on in shocked horror as the teen threw the branch as far away from them as possible before they collapsed to the ground, their back against a tree.

It was when Nico saw their hands grip at their hair that he finally heard the sobs emanating from the upset teen.

Nico took a small step towards them, silent.

He didn't know what to do. This was Percy, his Percy, leaning against a tree as he sobbed his heart out.

He took another small step, convincing himself that he could do this before he heard a growl, shadow travelling away before Percy even had the chance to look up.

Percy looked up from his spot on the ground, immediately wiping his eyes and jumping to his feet.

His voice was desperate as he spoke, sounding broken.

"You said he'd be here. You promised. Did you lie?"

Sea green eyes bore into red, betraying the sadness he had so quickly tried to hide.

The monster's head tilted to the side slightly, unable to do more than grunt.

"You said he'd be here! Where is he? We made a deal. I give it back and you help me find him. He's not here so where is he?"

Percy stopped trying to hold the tears in and just let them fall, dropping to his knees and letting his head hang.

The ground felt like it was shaking almost as heavy footsteps made their way towards him.

"You said he'd be here. He's not here. Where the fuck is he? Does he really not want me to find him? Does he hate me? Oh gods, that's it. He hates me. He hates me so much that he couldn't be with me anymore. I probably made him so miserable."

Percy's mumbling was quick, distraught.

A large hand came down on his shoulder, hard, knocking him forward slightly.

He looked up into red eyes, his eyes glistening.

"I gave it back. You said if I gave it back you'd help me find him. He's not here, so-"

Red eyes watched a single tear slip down Percy's cheek.

"So where is he?"