Christmas Prompts (19/25)

Ship: Perjaswillico.
Prompt: I bought a dog for you but it's mine now because I love it too much.

It had been Nico's idea. An off-hand comment.

They'd been arguing over what to get their friends for Christmas. Nico wanted to get anyone who wasn't Hazel a cheap box of chocolates. 'Fine, expensive ones then' had been his compromise. Will's ideas were meant in a good way but were simply horrible. And Jason just insisted on letting Percy buy the gifts and then the three of them writing their names on too.

It was the mention of Percy's name that caused Nico to blurt out his idea, though he didn't really plan on following it through.

"Why don't we get Percy a dog? You know how much he loves Mrs O'Leary. How about we get him a non-underworld-related pet for once?"

The idea had caused Will's eyes to brighten, sending Jason away from the other two in search of a drachma.

Nico awoke the next morning to whispered voices, getting up in search of the culprits.

What he found was sigh-inducing, barely able to stop himself from turning around and shuffling back to bed.

Leo and Piper were stood in the middle of his living room, trying to bribe a small puppy into running their way.

Jason stood in the doorway, behind the puppy, looking frustrated as he tried to coax it forward.

"What the fu- you know what, I'm not asking, I'm not asking. I'm going back to bed. Please just keep your whispering silent."

Nico turned, walking back in the direction he came, back towards his room.

"Good morning to you too." He faintly heard, unsure as to who said it. Honestly, he didn't care. It was too early to be woken up by loud puppy-bribing whispers.

Later that day, when Nico and his boyfriends sat down together for dinner, Nico tried to express his confusion. Though he didn't get very far, Jason having booted his shin in return for a death glare.

Percy and Will shared a look of confusion, Percy's head tilted to one side in wonder.

Just as Percy went to speak, Jason steered the topic far away, effectively driving it off a cliff.

Nico huffed, having sensed its death.

The new topic seemed to spark something inside Percy, sending him into a ten minute rant about Mrs O'Leary and how awesome she was.

Nico didn't understand how a conversation about dictionaries was able to do so, but then Percy aimed his happy smile his way and his mind blanked.

For a week, Nico stayed on guard, subconsciously searching for the hidden puppy.

He knew it had to be somewhere, he just didn't know where.

Just before bed, Jason approached Will and Nico, a barely contained smile on his face.

Percy kissed them all good night before heading to bed alone, Jason waiting until he knew Percy was tucked up in bed before beginning the conversation he actually wanted to have, instead of meaningless small talk.

"I got Percy a puppy."

"No shi-"

Will lightly flicked Nico's shoulder with the back of his hand, effectively stopping him from swearing.

"So where is it?"

Jason held up a finger, signalling for them to give him a second before he left the room.

He returned about a minute later, carrying the same puppy Nico had seen him with just over a week before.

"That doesn't explain where the fu-" one look from Will and he changed his mind, "dge you've been keeping it."

Jason's eyebrows furrowed, his expression judgy.

"Firstly, fudge?"

Nico simply held up a finger.

Only to recieve a stern look from Will.

"What? I didn't say anything!"

Will ignored him in favour of turning back to Jason.

"Have you picked a name yet?"

Jason nodded excitedly, a large smile spread out across his face.

"Meet Splash."

"That's a shi-"

"Great name. That's a great name."

After seeing the temporary look of doubt that fell across Jason's face, Nico decided that it was probably for the best that Will had interrupted him.

"Of course, Percy's going to love you now. If he could love you anymore than he already does."

Jason smiled brightly, looking every bit as proud as he felt.

"Good thing this little fella is from all of us then."

The following night, when Will and Jason were busy and it was just Percy and Nico cuddled close in the large bed, Nico tried to approach the subject as subtley as he could.

"Say, if someone was to hide an animal here, without any of us finding it, where would they hide it?"

Percy looked up at Nico, his head tilted back.

"Well how big is the animal?"

"Let's go with the size of a small puppy."

Percy looked thoutful, his eyebrows furrowed and lips slightly pursed.

"I don't know. Try asking Jason."

"Try asking Jason what?"

Only Percy turned to look towards the voice, Nico pulling him back down to rest against his chest when he tried to sit up.

Together, Will and Jason entered the room, coming to join them on the bed.

They each took a spot on either side of Nico, Percy already sat between Nico's legs, his back to his chest. Unconsciously, Nico's grip around Percy's shoulders tightened ever so slightly, as if warning Percy.

"If I was to hide a small puppy in our apartment, where could I hide it where none of you would ever find it? Asking for a friend."

Both Will and Jason's gazes turned towards Nico.

"I'm not sure. I don't think you can. I know our apartment is pretty big but for none of us to bump into it at any point? Sounds pretty impossible to me."

Nico couldn't help but snort.

"Yeah, impossible."

Two days later and it was Christmas day. Unfortunately, Nico had been woken up abruptly, Percy having seen no problem in jumping on the bed.

So lost in excitement he was, he wasn't even fazed when Nico pushed him onto the floor.

Ten minutes later found them all sat in the living room, both Nico and Percy now in a mood.

Percy sat sulking, holding an ice pack to his head, a pout on his lips.

Nico sat with his arms crossed, rolling his eyes what seemed like every ten seconds.

Will sat next to Percy, his eyes trained on his head, his eyebrows furrowed in worry.

Having not noticed him sneak away, all three of them were surprised when he returned, Splash held gently in his arms.

"So, originally, this little guy was supposed to be yours Percy. But I've come to the decision that this is my puppy. You can all help me look after him, but he is my puppy now."

Percy didn't even seem to care that Splash had originally been for him. He'd dropped the ice pack as soon as he caught sight of the puppy in Jason's arms. As soon as Jason finished speaking, Percy rushed towards him, ignoring Will's worried warning.

Sometimes, Will wondered why he even bothered telling his boyfriends to be careful if they weren't going to listen to him.