Out Of Sight Out Of Mind

Percy was confused.

And annoyed.

How could he not be when all of his belongings kept randomly disappearing?

At the start, it had been fine. Percy just assumed he was misplacing his possessions.

But then it started getting out of hand.

All of his clothes were gone, and due to it being Summer, he wasn't allowed to leave camp.

He'd been stuck wearing Jason's clothes for the past week, all of which were too big.

Despite only being an inch taller, Jason had a much bigger build than Percy, therefore causing his clothes to hang loosely off of Percy's frame, the fabric of the t-shirts often slipping off of one shoulder.

After Tartarus, Percy had lost a lot of muscle, something both he and Annabeth were trying to work back.

Nico, too, was struggling to gain the weight his body needed to survive.

Tartarus wasn't made for mortals. Mortals weren't built for the horrors of the pit.

It caused their body to fight against itself, letting them know what true pain felt like.

In short, during their stay, Tartarus was destroying their bodies.

Due to the muscle and weight loss, Percy looked like he was swimming in the material of Jason's clothing, his jeans rolled up and short sleeves pulled up to his shoulders.

To Percy, he looked ridiculous. To everyone else, he looked heartbreaking.

No matter how cute it was to see him in the oversized clothing, it only proved to show how much Tartarus had affected their beloved hero. How much it had broken him.

Percy groaned from his spot on the grass, a dark purple hoodie sprawled out around him.

His hood was pulled up, his arms crossed over his chest as he stared up at the sky, the ground oddly soft under Percy's sore back.

He'd returned to his cabin earlier that day to find the shield Tyson made him, gone.

His eyes watered, his bottom lip trembling slightly.

He wanted nothing more than to break down, right here on the oddly soft ground that soothed Percy. Grounded him.

He wanted nothing more than for the oddly soft ground to split open, swallowing his frail body whole.

He wanted nothing more than for his problems to disappear, just like his possessions.

But that would never happen.

He was Percy Jackson, the boy who suffered in silence and didn't get a happy ending.

As a child, he tried to chase after it.

It was like a game of Hide and Seek, except Percy's happy ending was never found.

Feeling disheartened, Percy gave up. He decided he sucked at the game. How could he find actual people if he couldn't even find his own happy ending?

At first, Percy assumed his happy ending was like that one kid. That one kid who hid behind the seeker's back, hoping to not get caught.

Usually, they were found straight away.

Usually. Not always.

Percy's happy ending was that one kid who hid behind the seeker's back, never found. It was the kid who the seeker gave up on finding.