Fucked It For Real This Time

Warning: Mentions of abuse and implied child death. Swearing. Missing people. Mentioned suicide.

Nico di Angelo was a sophomore.

A sophomore with a crush on a junior who barely even acknowledged him anymore.

Said junior used to be his best friend.

They had saved him from a very dark time in his life, only to up and leave a couple years later.

High School. The source of Nico's pain.

Percy Jackson - the junior Nico loved deeply - had dropped Nico the minute he found a friend there.

Being a year younger than Percy, Nico was still stuck in middle school. He could do nothing but watch as Percy slipped through the gaps of his fingers.

He had to watch him slowly walk away, taking Nico's heart with him.

That first year without Percy had been the hardest.

Neither of them had any friends except the other. With Percy gone, Nico was all on his own.

Freshman year, Nico met his first new friend.

Jason Grace.

The overbearing sophomore didn't know when to give up. He continued to push at Nico's walls, hurling himself at them repeatedly until they finally crumbled.

It was then that Nico met his second friend.

Will Solace - another freshman - helped Nico come to terms with being gay.

Watching Will practically flaunt his own bisexuality left Nico's mind in shambles.

But then Nico came out and... and honestly, flaunting just felt so good.

Not at school, never at school.

But at the park, on the streets, fuck, even at restaurants, it was flaunting time.

Nico was single, always has been, but the way he got to watch people's mouths drop slightly when he'd clasp hands with Jason, or Will. It gave him such a kick.

It was addicting.

And Jason had been so supportive of him.

Nico really should have seen that coming.

Jason was bi after all.

It was in sophomore year that Percy Jackson first approached him, igniting all these feelings in Nico's chest that he really shouldn't be able to.

Percy had been nervous, shy almost, when he asked Nico if he could start tutoring him in English.

He said he knew how good Nico was in the subject and that none of his friends were any help. He really wanted to improve his grades apparently. Nico didn't know if he understood how much work that would take. Did he really expect so much from one person?

Percy had even offered to pay him.

Despite knowing how little money Percy's family had, and what such an offer meant, Nico declined.