Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Three

"Christ, we're old" I groaned, frowning at the first years who ran past our carriage and falling back on to Fred with a huff.
The ginger simply laughed, carding a hand through my hair in a soothing manner.
"It just means that we're more mature-"
Lee was cut off by George's amused snort, "Us? Mature? I think you'd better think again"
"Awww, look at you four" Miles cooed from the doorway, "No wait. No one move. I want to remember you all like this - bitter and existential"
"Piss off, would you" Fred grumped, the lack of bite in his words giving him away.
"Missed you too, Freddie!" he sang, putting his bag on the shelf before collapsing on the seat next to me, "but you know I've really been missing the little lady over here"
"Come here, you brat" I laughed, pulling him in for a hug, "How was your summer?"
"Pretty good, I mean we didn't really go anywhere so I was just hanging with the kids around town. Went to some parties, kissed some lads" at this, Miles turned to face Lee and George who were sitting on the bench opposite us, "speaking of kissing lads ... you two are a thing, right?"
Lee and George spluttered, the latter's face flushing a deep red, scooting further apart.
"What, no -"
"- why would you think -"
"- utterly preposterous -"
Miles just kept smiling, quirking an eyebrow.

 "What, no -""- why would you think -""- utterly preposterous -"Miles just kept smiling, quirking an eyebrow

The younger boy finally broke, "How did you know?"
"Lee!" George cried, hitting his arm despondently.
"What? It's obvious just from the way you two look at each other" Miles shrugged, "If you were tryna hide it, you weren't doing a very good job"
Fred hid his laughter in my hair as George's offended shriek filled the carriage.
"I could so hide it if I tried! We just - weren't ready yet"
"Sure, duck"
George turned to Lee, outrage clear on his face, and gestured at him to do something.
"We could pretend to not like each other?" he tried, laughing as George let out a frustrated sigh, "I'm sorry Georgie I don't know what you want me to say. Besides, it's not like we can really hide this at school"

"Hide what?" Beth asked, entering the room with Ebony close on her heel, "We've been looking in every bloody carriage - did you have to choose one so far down?"
"Sorry" I shrugged, "it was the first free one we found"
"Bloody exhausting" Ebony complained, "if I had to push through one more group of second years I think I would've killed someone"
Beth patted her girlfriends' shoulder consolingly, nodding to the door, "Connor's in the prefect's carriage, bastard somehow got the position"
"Head boy?" I asked, confused.
"Oh god no. Hufflepuff prefect. Head boy's gone to that blonde asshole in Ravenclaw" Beth replied, "the one that looks like he tried to get a mullet and failed"
Fred gasped from beside me, "ohhhhh, George he's that prick that caught us last year with dungbombs in the corridor outside of transfiguration - uhh, Gafferty!"
"That's the one" Beth grinned, "it's him and Glenda Fallon from my house. She's alright, not too much of a nag so hopefully we'll have some breathing room"
"I'd bloody hope so" George huffed, "it's our last year, so we need to get the rest of the pranks that we want to do out of the way"
"Can we help?" Miles begged, hands held together in front of his face, "Just once. Please!"
Lee hummed, looking at him intensely, "One. That's it"
"That's all I'm asking for"
"You do what we tell you to, no questions asked"
"Scouts honour"
The twins looked at me for confirmation and I nodded, Lee holding his hand out for a shake.
"Very well"
"Nice!"

Ebony huffed a laugh, settling into her seat in the corner, Beth resting on her shoulder. She suddenly turned to face Lee and George.
"So how long have you two had your shit sorted out?"
"Not you too!"
"We're not even sitting that close together!"
Beth just laughed, gesturing at the air around them, "you give off a vibe"
"Well if it's that obvious" George huffed, slumping into Lee's side and tucking himself under his arm, "I'll at least make myself comfortable"
Lee just rolled his eyes, pressing a quick kiss to George's nose before catching Miles in a conversation about quidditch, his sulking boyfriend still frowning into the crook of his arm.
"They're tragic" I sighed, tracing the palm of Fred's hand absentmindedly, "honestly, it'll be a wonder if we get through the feast without the whole school finding out"
"Georgina looks about ready to murder anyone who says anything about it" Fred replied, amusement clear in his voice, "D'you think we were that obvious?"
"You're twins, honey. It's like watching a replay"
"Fuck off"