Chapter Seventeen

Once back at school, time seemed to pass very quickly.

I had made sure to visit Padfoot at least once a week with food, and normally those 20 minutes were the only time I could get to try and work out the Marauders Map. Life had become so busy, the homework was piling up, friendships were falling apart left right and centre, the only thing that seemed fully constant was the bet.

Back in the common room, I was sitting with Lee when Harry and Ron burst into the common room, holding a fire bolt.
"Holy hell" I breathed, grinning widely at Lee "Gryffindor are winning this year!"
He nodded his head in agreement, still stating open-mouthed. The common room was filled with people asking to ride it, and how on earth the bespectacled boy had afforded such a luxury. I saw Ron take the broom upstairs, carrying it as if it were made of glass.

As the excitement in the common room died down, I turned back to my potions essay, nudging Lee's arm.
"Hey so when are you going to your detention today?"
"Oh I have it at 9pm. Filch has us polishing trophies again" he groaned, running his hands through his hair. I nodded sympathetically, patting his shoulder.
"It's alright, you've done it before you can do it again"
"I just don't think it's fair - you always do it with us - how come you're never caught"
"Oh my dear, sweet boy," I laughed "you are simply inferior to my skill"

Before Lee could protest, a loud roar was heard from upstairs. The whole common room fell silent, staring petrified at the staircase entrance. There came hurried footsteps, growing louder and louder and I clutched my wand in a tight grasp - when Ron came leaping into view, dragging with him a bedsheet.
"LOOK" he bellowed, striding over to Hermione's table "LOOK!" he yelled, shaking the sheets in her face.
"Ron What-?"
"SCABBERS! LOOK! SCABBERS!"
Hermione leant away from Ron, looking utterly bewildered.
"BLOOD!" Ron yelled into the stunned silence "HES GONE AND DO YOU KNOW WHAT WAS ON THE FLOOR?"
"N-no" said Hermione, her voice trembling. Ron through something on her parchment.
"So? That could've been there since Christmas!" Hermione argued indignantly.
"Well all the evidence is there.." Harry added pointedly, his sentence trailing off.
"Ok side with Ron, I knew you would!" She said shrilly "First the firebolt and now this - everything is my fault, isn't it? Just leave me alone Harry, I have lots of work to do!"

Ron had taken the loss of his rat very hard indeed.
"Come on Ron, you were always saying how boring Scabbers was" said Fred bracingly "And hes been off colour for ages, wasting away. It was probably better for him to snuff it quickly. One swallow - he probably didn't feel a thing"
"Fred!" Ginny protested.
"All he did was eat and sleep - you said it yourself!" George added.
"He bit Goyle for us once!" Ron said miserably "Remember that Harry?"
"Yeah that was pretty cool"
"His finest hour" said Fred, unable to keep a straight face (especially when Lee and I snorted loudly in the corner, before frantically covering it up with coughs) "let the scar on Goyle's finger stand as a lasting tribute to his memory. Oh come on Ron, get yourself down to Hogsmeade and buy a new rat. What's the point of moaning?"

Not wanting to hear anymore of his self pity, I walked over to Hermione who was frantically writing down a translation on her parchment.
"You alright muffin?"
"Since when do you ever call me muffin?"
"Since now. Anyway, Rons being a dick don't listen to him"
She went to tell me off but a smile was creeping up her face, making me grin knowingly.
"I think he's having a hard time with teenage angst. You're all entering teen-hood now, it's a rough road ahead" I said wisely, patting her shoulder as if I was a mentor talking to their kin "heed my warning - boys get confusing and weird"
Hermione just rolled her eyes.
"Thanks for the pep talk but I need to finish this" She said, turning back to her parchment.
"Hey! I'm trying to be a good sister here!" I moaned, climbing off the sofa and retreating to mine and Lee's corner.
"They've all gone mad - Harry's taking Ron to quidditch practice just to shut him up" Lee scoffed, shaking his head playfully.
"Well the Ravenclaw game is soon - we still on for our amazing commentary?"
"Hell yes we are"

"And they're off, and the big excitement of this match is the firebolt which Hary Potter is flying for Gryffindor. According to Which Broomstick, the firebolt is going to be the broom of choice for the national teams this year's World Championship -"
"Jordan would you mind telling us what's going on in the match?" McGonagall interrupted, scowling at the grin plastered on my face.
"Right you are professor - just giving a bit of background information. The firebolt, incidentally, has a built in auto break and -"
"Jordan!"
"Ok I'll take over for a second whilst Lee calms down. Gryffindor in possession - Katie Bell heading for the goal... she scores! 10 points to Gryffindor. Have Cho and Harry seen the snitch already?"
"Harry's diving... almost hit by Ravenclaw's beater Inglebee, A Weasley -"
"George -"
"Sends the bludger back, barely missing him"

"Gryffindor's leading 80 points to 0, and look at that firebolt go! Potter's really putting her through her paces now. See it turn - Chang's comet is just no match for it. The firebolt's precision - balance is really noticeable in these long -"
I started laughing at Lee's rant, McGonagall quickly cutting him off
"JORDAN! ARE YOU BEING PAID TO PROMOTE FIREBOLTS? GET ON WITH THE COMMENTARY! GRANGER SHUT HIM UP!"
"Yes ma'am. Ravenclaw are pulling back, the score is now 80 to 30 for Gryffindor - if Cho catches the snitch now they'll win - and they're chasing the snitch ... and they've lost it again. Cho seems to be trailing Harry rather than look for it herself - a bit lazy but sneaky nonetheless"
"Potter's diving! Has he seen the- no. Fakeout, very clever. Are there dementors on the pitch again?"
"Oh for fu-"
Lee pressed his hand over my mouth, as Harry sent a bright white light before the cloaked figures, carrying on the snitches pursuit.
"I think he's seen the snitch! GRYFFINDOR WINS!" I cried, doing a little happy dance.

Back in the common room, Gryffindor were buzzing

Back in the common room, Gryffindor were buzzing. The twins signalled Lee and I over.
"Well done on the win!" I said happily hugging both of them "let's go get this party some proper food shall we?"
"We shall" George replied with a grin.
We returned minutes later, arms full of butterbeer, pumpkin fizz and several bags of Honeydukes sweets
The party ran long into the night, at one point I swear I remember the twins juggling butterbeer bottles. We were shut down by McGonagall, dressed in her tartan dressing gown, at one in the morning insisting we all go to sleep.
"Boooo" Fred yelled, being carried up the stairs by Lee and George "Why do we have to stop"
"Are you sure you didn't have any firewhiskey?" I giggled, watching as Fred flopped around.
"Shhhhhh. No I didn't. Don't tell Emily - oh wait - you are Emily" he ranted.
"Okay that's enough" Lee said, trying to hold in his laughter "up we go".