Chapter Fifty Five

"The real question is why we're forced into silent study while the guests are here" Lee whispered, scowling at his charms essay with strong distain.
I snorted, nudging him with my shoulder before pointing out one of his wrong points, watching with barely restrained laughter as he crossed the lines out angrily.
"We can't fall too far behind, we have the NEWTS soon"
Lee huffed, looking up to get support from the twins.
"Don't look at us" George said, raising his hands in surrender, "You know we don't need those exams"
"We just need to finish school and get our business started" Fred finished, winking at me as he continued, "We have the funds and the skills - you could always come work as a cashier for us Lee"
"Shove off!" he hissed, reaching over the table and hitting the twins' heads together.
Snape coughed pointedly behind us, glaring at the twins, "I think it would be best if you four would... separate"
Biting my lip to hold in my laughter, I watched as the twins collected their books, moving to sit opposite Harry, Ron and Hermione with a scowl.
As Snape walked over to the Ravenclaw table I finally burst into quiet giggles, clinging to Lee's arm. Seeing this, George aimed his middle finger at us, flinching as Snape hit him with a rolled up notebook.
"Oh my god" Lee whispered, strained through his muffled laughter.
I shushed him through my own giggles, desperately trying to grab onto any thread of calm, my hand bunching up the fabric of his shirt sleeve in my frantic haze.
"Emily stop it" he hissed, tears falling from his eyes as he tried to breathe, "seriously - I cant calm down when you're still laughing"
I took a steadying breath, exhaling slowly.
"Okay I'm good"
The two of us did a few more lines in relative silence, interrupted by a ball of paper hitting the side of my head.
I looked up with a glare, following the trajectory back to the twins, both of them looking at me with matching grins.
"What?" I mouthed, Lee sniggering beside me.
"Do you" Fred mimed, "want to go to the ball with me?"

I raised my eyebrows, throwing the ball back at him, "Yes you idiot"Fred smiled as George rubbed his shoulders in a silent cheer, absently noting the looks on Harry and Ron's faces

Fred smiled as George rubbed his shoulders in a silent cheer, absently noting the looks on Harry and Ron's faces.
Turning back to my books, Lee nudged my shoulder with a grin, wiggling his eyebrows madly, "We've all got dates now"
"Who would've thought"
"Not me"

Later that afternoon, the four of us were quietly discussing how to make extendable ears, as well as how to sell all the canary creams, when an ashen-faced Ron burst through the portrait surrounded by a swarm of concerned girls, Ginny right by his side talking in a low soothing voice.
"What on earth is wrong with you?" I asked, leaving my seat to make sure that he was alright, guiding him into a seat by the fire.
Ron just shook his head mutely, looking like he could be sick at any second.
"He asked Fleur to the ball - just blurted it out right in front of her and Diggory"
"Oh shit"
Not knowing what to do, I gave Ron a consolidatory pat on the shoulder before returning to Lee and the twins, shaking my head in amazement.
"Your brothers never fail to amaze me"
Fred just smiled, pulling me into his lap as he got into the theory of the hearing charms used on the ears, playing with my hair absentmindedly. I smiled internally, knowing that if he wasn't so focused he would be absolutely grilling the life out of Ron over his mistake.
From the corner of my eye I saw Harry come in through the portrait, Ron finally speaking and Hermione joining them. After a few moments my sister stormed off up the stairs, obviously upset.

"Hold on, I should - yeah"
Getting up, I kissed Fred's cheek before rushing after Hermione, catching up to her.
"Hey! Hey what's wrong?"
"Ron is an arse is what's wrong" she heaved, anger pouring out of her.
"H - hey look at me, take a breath" I waited as she did as I said, "and tell me why Ron's an idiot this time"
She laughed weakly, shoulders slumping.
"He asked me to the ball"
"And that's bad because...?"
"Because he only asked me because he couldn't be bothered to ask anyone else! He just expected me to be going alone!"
"Which is rude and dumb of him, I agree" I said, "who are you going with?"
She mumbled something, looking resolutely at her feet.
A smile crept on to my face at the unusual shyness, "what was that?"
"Krum. Viktor Krum asked me to go with him"
I gasped, taking her hands in mine and jumping up and down excitedly, "the Russian hunk, Viktor? Hermione that's amazing!"
A blush covered her face within seconds, "I guess so"
"You're going to have to get a new dress, ew shopping. But I'll suffer through it for you"
"You need a new dress too!" Hermione insisted, dodging my hands as I tried to shush her, running from me with a laugh.
"Shhhhhh, I don't need to think about it right now" I whined, ruffling her hair, "We'll go next Hogsmeade trip, Beth and Ebony will probably be there too"
Hermione smiled hesitantly, "that would be nice... I don't really have any girl friends to do this stuff with"
"You know you can always come to me for that, right?"
"Yeah, yeah of course"
The oddly honest moment was shattered as a Second Year girl came barrelling down the stairs, pushing past us.
"Come here you muppet" I scoffed, pulling her into a hug, "just remember to come to me if those boys are giving you any trouble"