Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Four

"Where's Hagrid?"
As soon as we were settled at the Gryffindor table, I voiced the question that had been on our minds since getting off the train.
Fred frowned, looping his ankle over mine under the table as he turned to face the teachers, "Dunno. Should be easy to spot - what do you think George?"
His twin responded in a lowered tone, "Order business?"
Lee just nodded, lifting his drink of pumpkin juice up in a 'cheers'ing motion. He stopped before taking a sip, eyes narrowing at a figure in the middle of the table, "Who's the pink troll?"
A snort escaped me before I could stop it, reaching over to hit his arm lightly, "That's a horrid thing to say"
"He's not wrong" Katie Bell chimed in, a look of distaste on her face as she looked at the woman, "She stopped me in the corridor on the way in for holding hands with Angelina, the cow"
Angelina seemed to mirror her opinion, mumbling into her goblet, "Miserable twat"
"Well. Great start to the year" George cheered, sarcasm clear in his tone, "No Hagrid and a wicked witch for a teacher"
Fred laughed, "We've been through worse, I guess. She can't be that bad"
Our conversation was cut short by the arrival of the first years, the sorting hat singing its annual song before placing students in their respective houses.
Once everyone had been placed, Dumbledore stood up, his arms stretched wide and a beaming smile on his lips, "To our newcomers, welcome! To our old hands — welcome back! There is a time for speech making, but this is not it. Tuck in!"
There was an appreciative laugh and an outbreak of applause as Dumbledore sat down neatly and threw his long beard over his shoulder.
"Mad bugger" Fred chuckled, pressing a kiss to my temple before piling his plate high with food.
"Absolutely nutty" George agreed.
Lee shook his head, slapping George's hand away from his potato with a glare, "There's literally a whole plate right there"
"But you got the nice one"
"For Merlin's sake"

"Holy shit I don't think I've eaten that much pudding since your mum's Christmas dinner a few years ago" I groaned, holding my stomach as I leaned heavily into Fred's side.
"It's always the first night feast" Fred breathed, slouching, "Seven years and I still haven't learned when to stop eating"
Our whining was interrupted yet again by Dumbledore, "Well, now that we are all digesting another magnificent feast, I beg a few moments of your attention for the usual start-of-term notices. First years ought to know that the forest in the grounds is out of bounds to students — and a few of our older students ought to know by now too."
I sniggered as Fred, George, Lee and I swapped glances.
"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me, for what he tells me is the four hundred and sixty-second time, to remind you all that magic is not permitted in corridors between classes, nor are a number of other things, all of which can be checked on the extensive list now fastened to Mr. Filch's office door. We have had two changes in staffing this year. We are very pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who will be taking Care of Magical Creatures lessons; we are also delighted to introduce Professor Umbridge, our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."
As polite applause broke out, I exchanged a look with Lee, both of us smothering giggles as we made eye contact.
"What?" George whispered, looking confused.
"She even has a troll-y name!" Lee whisper-screeched, covering his mouth as he tried to calm down.
I just buried my face in Fred's shoulder, trying my best to muffle my laughter.
Dumbledore continued, "Tryouts for the House Quidditch teams will take place on the —"
He broke off, looking inquiringly at Professor Umbridge. As she was not much taller standing than sitting, there was a moment when nobody understood why Dumbledore had stopped talking, but then Professor Umbridge said, "Hem, hem," and it became clear that she had got to her feet and was intending to make a speech.
Dumbledore only looked taken aback for a moment, then he sat back down smartly and looked alertly at Professor Umbridge as though he desired nothing better than to listen to her talk. Other members of staff were not as adept at hiding their surprise.
"Thank you, Headmaster," Professor Umbridge simpered, "for those kind words of welcome."
"Who the fuck interrupts Dumbledore?" Fred breathed, his distaste clear on his features.
"Well, it is lovely to be back at Hogwarts, I must say!" She smiled, revealing very pointed teeth. "And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!"

 "And to see such happy little faces looking back at me!"

No one smiled.
"I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all, and I'm sure we'll be very good friends!"
"Like fuck, we will" Katie scoffed.
Professor Umbridge cleared her throat again ("Hem, hem"), but when she continued, some of the breathiness had vanished from her voice. She sounded much more businesslike and now her words had a dull learned-by-heart sound to them.
"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. The rare gifts with which you were born may come to nothing if not nurtured and honed by careful instruction. The ancient skills unique to the Wizarding community must be passed down through the generations lest we lose them forever. The treasure trove of magical knowledge amassed by our ancestors must be guarded, replenished, and polished by those who have been called to the noble profession of teaching."
Professor Umbridge paused here and made a little bow to her fellow staff members, none of whom bowed back. Professor McGonagall's dark eyebrows had contracted so that she looked positively hawklike, and Harry distinctly saw her exchange a significant glance with Professor Sprout as Umbridge gave another little "Hem, hem" and went on with her speech.
"Every headmaster and headmistress of Hogwarts has brought something new to the weighty task of governing this historic school, and that is as it should be, for without progress there will be stagnation and decay. There again, progress for progress's sake must be discouraged, for our tried and tested traditions often require no tinkering. A balance, then, between old and new, between permanence and change, between tradition and innovation . . ."
"This woman can't be serious" I murmured, half-listening to her speech.
I took a quick look around the hall and found most students weren't paying attention at all, before tuning back into what she was saying, ignoring the twins and Lee for now.
". . . because some changes will be for the better, while others will come, in the fullness of time, to be recognized as errors of judgment. Meanwhile, some old habits will be retained, and rightly so, whereas others, outmoded and outworn, must be abandoned. Let us move forward, then, into a new era of openness, effectiveness, and accountability, intent on preserving what ought to be preserved, perfecting what needs to be perfected, and pruning wherever we find practices that ought to be prohibited."
She sat down. Dumbledore clapped. The staff followed his lead, though unenthusiastically. Dumbledore stood up again.
"Thank you very much, Professor Umbridge, that was most illuminating," he said, bowing to her. "Now — as I was saying, Quidditch tryouts will be held . . ."
I huffed, "Illuminating is one way to put that bullshit that just came out of her mouth"