Chapter Fourty Two

"What the fuck" I breathed, staring at Dumbledore in shock.
There was no applause. Instead a kind of buzzing seemed to fill the air. Fred and George's mouths were wide open with shock, whilst Lee just stared at the cup.

Up at the top table, Professor McGonagall had got to her feet and swept past Ludo Bagman and Professor Karkaroff to whisper urgently to Professor Dumbledore, who bent his ear toward her, frowning slightly. Professor Dumbledore had straightened up, nodding to Professor McGonagall.
"Harry Potter!" he called again. "Harry! Up here, if you please!"
I stared as Harry got to his feet, trod on the hem of his robes, and stumbled slightly. He set off up the gap between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables, the walk looking infinite.

"What the hell is happening" Lee whispered desperately, looking over to Angelina and her friends who all had the same expressions as us "I thought it was 3 champions"
"everyone please return to their common rooms" Dumbledore boomed, and without a further word, followed Harry into the room.

I stood up almost automatically, walking with the rest of the crowd as we returned to the Gryffindor common room. I could hear hushed rumours already spreading through the corridors as I tried to get over what I had just witnessed.
"You alright Ron?" Katie Bell asked, looking at the youngest Weasley boy. She got a stiff nod in response, Ron not even lifting his head up to meet her eyes. Hermione wasn't any better, she looked shell-shocked, and wasn't half as animated as she usually was.

By the time we reached the Gryffindor tower, most of the students had seemingly decided to celebrate Harry's position (the reason that was being used the most was that they 'can't let Pretty Boy Diggory be the champion'. I had glared at several people for that already) and asked the twins and I to go and get some food whilst Lee helped set up the decorations.
After a quick trip to the kitchens and back - which was met with no argument by Hermione - we presented our stash, only a few moments before Harry entered through the portrait-hole.

"You should've told us you'd entered!" bellowed Fred; looking half annoyed, half deeply impressed.
"How did you do it without getting a beard? Brilliant!" roared George.
"It's literally impossible" I stated, leaning against the wall and downing some more fire whiskey.

"I didn't," Harry said

"I didn't," Harry said. "I don't know how -"
But Angelina had now swooped down upon him; "Oh if it couldn't be me, at least it's a Gryffindor -"
"You'll be able to pay back Diggory for that last Quidditch match, Harry!" shrieked Katie Bell, another of the Gryffindor Chasers.
"We've got food, Harry, come and have some -" "I'm not hungry, I had enough at the feast -"

No one seemed to listen to him, and I wasn't exactly in the right state of mind to help him. At some point Lee had unearthed a Gryffindor banner and had draped it over Harry's shoulders like a cape, which was met with whoops that echoed throughout the common room.

"Hey Fred, Freddie boy. Hey - hey" I slurred slightly, tapping his cheek.
"Yes?" He answered. Whilst Fred had drunk around the same amount as me (roughly 3 small bottles of the stuff) he was far more used to the liquor, and appeared almost sober.
"I can't believe I'm drunker than you at a party, that's a first" I giggled, "OH! And I have something to tell ... you"
I poked his chest with my finger lightly, making him smile at my actions.
"And what's that, may I ask?" He grinned.
"You, Freduardo, are very cute and I like you a lot."
"Well, Thanks Em I like you a lot too" he laughed, pushing my hair out of my face.
"No no no no" I moaned "you don't get it"
"Get what?"
"I've liked you for ages - like years"
"Okay maybe you should stop talking before you punch me tomorrow for letting you speak"
"Shhhhhh. Shhhhhhhh." I said, putting my finger on his lips "I liked you for a very long time, but you always seemed to like Angelina. I didn't like her for a while because of it"
"I didn't like her that way"
"Pshhhh"
"I didn't"
"Sure Mr Weasley - hey wait. Where's George?"
"Somewhere over th-"
"George!" I called loudly, looking around for his twin "Georgina where art thou?"
"Okay - enough firewhiskey for tonight" Fred laughed, taking the half-full bottle out of my hand.
"Noo" I pouted, teaching half-heartedly for the bottle, my arms falling limply to my side.

I stumbled up to my room about an hour after Harry, the party not seeming to die down, collapsing messily into bed.
"This is why I don't drink often" I mumbled angrily to myself.