Chapter One Hundred and Twenty Seven

"Who in Merlin's name does that bat think she is?" Lee frowned, stomping into the courtyard, "No using magic? It's fucking DADA!"
Beth huffed, anger practically seeping from her, following behind him, "She had the nerve - what do we have to be scared of? Well, I don't know, maybe the noseless bastard who mur-"
She cut herself off, clenching her fists so tightly that blood began to drip from her hand.
Ebony looked up as we entered, frowning at Beths' demeanour. "Woah - what's with the face?" she asked, moving over to make room for Beth on the bench.
I settled on the floor by Ebony's feet.
"The pink toad is the problem," George said, throwing himself down next to me, face pressed into the dirt,"Evil git."
Fred followed suit, dropping his head onto my shoulder with a pained groan. "The evilest git to ever exist."
"I've never been so glad that I didn't make it into that NEWT" Ebony grinned, laughing as Beth gave her an evil glare.
"Yeah, yeah. Laugh it up. The ministry is trying to ruin this bloody school" I said, watching as Lee paced back and forwards across the grass, "Her teaching might actually be more boring than Professor Binns."
Ebony's mouth fell open, "That bad?"
In lieu of an answer, George let out a fake cry, sound slightly muffled from his position.
"Damn."
"Connor literally stormed off to find the twins the second he could get out of there -"
"Probably to tell them to drop DADA as a subject."
Miles sauntered over with a smile, the expression dropping at the sight of us, "Oh please tell me it was not that bad. I've got her after lunch."
He was greeted with all of us looking at him blankly.
"Shit."

Lessons finally over, the common room was filled with students

"Hey, HP!" I walked away from the twins and Lee as they got their first group of 'testers', instead moving to congratulate Harry. "I heard you yelled at Umbitch - good on you."
"He got detention for a whole week, that's not something we should be celebrating" Hermione frowned, "No matter how true Harry's words were."
"Still, standing up for what's right is something to be proud of," I said, patting his shoulder.
Harry smiled at me, Ron nodding in agreement.
"You should've seen her!" Ron said, "I swear I thought she was gonna explode from anger!"
"What I would've paid-"
"No, I'm sorry, they've gone too far," Hermione said suddenly, standing up and looking positively furious. "Come on, Ron."
"I — what?" said Ron, plainly playing for time.
I followed their line of sight to the twins, rolling my eyes, "They're not doing anything wrong."
"No — come on, Hermione — we can't tell them off for giving out sweets. . . ."
"You know perfectly well that those are bits of Nosebleed Nougat or — or Puking Pastilles or —"
"Fainting Fancies?" Harry suggested quietly.
"Yep, fainting fancies" I confirmed, "Perfectly safe, Herman."
One by one, the first years slumped unconscious in their seats; some slid right onto the floor, others merely hung over the arms of their chairs, their tongues lolling out. As the people surrounding them began to laugh, Hermione squared her shoulders and marched directly over to where Fred and George now stood with clipboards, closely observing the unconscious first years. Ron rose halfway out of his chair, hovered uncertainly for a moment or two, then muttered to us, "She's got it under control," before sinking as low in his chair as his lanky frame permitted.
"That's enough!" Hermione said forcefully to Fred and George, both of whom looked up in mild surprise.
"Yeah, you're right," said George, nodding, "this dosage looks strong enough, doesn't it?"
"I told you this morning, you can't test your rubbish on students!"
"We're paying them!" said Fred indignantly.
"I don't care, it could be dangerous!"
"Rubbish," said Fred.
"Calm down, Hermione, they're fine!" said Lee reassuringly as he walked from first year to first year, inserting purple sweets into their open mouths.
"Yeah, look, they're coming round now," said George.
I rushed over to them, clapping both boys on the shoulders, "It only bloody worked."
As the kids came to, we set about making sure they were okay.
"Feel all right?" said George kindly to a small dark-haired girl lying at his feet.
"I-I think so," she said shakily. I offered her a hand, helping her to her feet with a smile.
"Excellent," said Fred happily, but the next second Hermione had snatched both his clipboard and the paper bag of Fainting Fancies from his hands.
"It is NOT excellent!"
" 'Course it is, they're alive, aren't they?" said Fred angrily.
"You can't do this, what if you made one of them really ill?"
"We're not going to make them ill, we've already tested them all on ourselves, this is just to see if everyone reacts the same —"
"If you don't stop doing it, I'm going to —"
"Put us in detention?" said Fred in an I'd-like-to-see-you-try-it voice.
"Make us write lines?" said George, smirking.
Onlookers all over the room were laughing. Hermione drew herself up to her full height, eyes narrowed.
"No," she said, her voice quivering with anger, "but I will write to your mother."
"You wouldn't," said George, horrified, taking a step back from her.
"Oh, yes, I would," said Hermione grimly. "I can't stop you eating the stupid things yourselves, but you're not giving them to first years."
Fred and George looked thunderstruck.
Lee frowned, "Come on 'Mione, that's a bit far, don't you think?"
"No. No I do not."
With a last threatening look at them, she thrust Fred's clipboard and the bag of Fancies back into his arms and stalked back to her chair by the fire.
"Your sister -" Fred broke off, restraining himself.
"I know, I know. She means well."
George huffed, "Threatening to write to our mum... she wouldn't actually do that, would she?"
"Honestly?"
They nodded.
"She would."