Chapter Ninety Five

The twins didn't come back to the room that night, Lee getting increasingly nervous as the clock ticked past midnight.
"I've fucked it" he mumbled, sitting with his back against the door, "I just shouldn't have said anything"
"Lee - for the hundredth time, you haven't fucked anything. Come on, you and George are practically inseparable, I swear you're around him more than Fred recently"
"But-"

 Come on, you and George are practically inseparable, I swear you're around him more than Fred recently""But-"

"No, listen to me. If he throws that away over something like this then he's a fucking idiot. Do you understand?"
Lee just sighed, burying his face into his knees, a muffled string of words emitting from him.
"What?"
He groaned, lifting his head up, "I said, life fucking sucks and this is going ten times worse than I thought it would"
"Lee-"
My words were cut off as the door went to open, smacking against Lee's back.
"Can we come in?" Fred asked, "George has some things he'd like to say"
I exchanged a look with Lee, the boy shuffling away from the door and instead leaning against the bed I was sat on.
"Come in" I called, keeping a wary eye on Lee as the door slowly opened, the twins walking through.
"Can they-"
"No they stay" Lee said firmly, cutting off George's quiet words, "You can say whatever it is infront of them"
"I- I'm sorry for running off like that. I didn't mean it to look like I hated you or - or - or hated you for -" he stopped his rambling with a sigh, hanging his head, "I just needed to think. I went about it all wrong and I'm sorry"
"Think about what?"
Catching Fred's eye, I frantically gestured for us to leave the room, and the two of us slipped out of the door silently.

"For a moment there I thought you weren't coming back" I sighed, resting my head on Fred's shoulder and relaxing into his body as he put his arms around me.
"George was... working stuff out I think" he replied quietly, "I've never seen him like that before over anything. He was just sat, staring at the wall for the longest time"
We stood there in silence for a while, comforting each other with our embrace.
I hummed, "Are you okay?"
"Me? Yeah I'm fine. I just - it was weird seeing him like that. I couldn't... tell what was going on in his mind. That's never happened before"
I wrapped my hand around the back of Fred's neck, pulling him closer against me, "He'll tell you when he's ready"
"I l- I'm glad you were here to help me" Fred mumbled, taking a shaky breath before stepping back, "Do you think they're okay in there? It's been a while"
I sat down, leaning against the wall and patting the space next to me, "We can wait"

A noise behind us shocked us out of our quiet reflection, Lee's face appearing in the doorway.
"Everything's good now" Lee smiled, walking away and sitting down beside George, "he explained"
"... As long as you're both happy"
Lee nodded, George running his hands nervously through his hair.
"Well, we can't exactly be happy until I say this I guess. Um, I -" George cleared his throat, looking nervously at Fred, "I'm gay. and I kissed Lee"
"Finally!" I cried, launching myself at the two of them and pulling them into a big hug, "I've only been waiting two years for you to get your shit together"
Fred had been standing very silent, glaring intensely at George.
"Fred...?"
"You're telling me you could've flirted with that man at Honeydukes to get us out of trouble in fourth year and you didn't?" he suddenly shouted.
"I - what?"
"We got stuck in that tunnel for 3 hours! And you're telling me you could've just flirted with him?"
George, now realising Fred wasn't actually mad at his confession, threw his hands up in the air in frustration, "Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I find every bloke attractive! Plus, he was like 40 years older!"
"Sacrifices have to made in the line of prank duty!"
"You're unbelievable!"
"Three. Hours"
"He had a beard longer than Dumbledore's!"
"And I needed a wee! Do you not love me, Georgie?"
Lee and I swapped amused glances, "We're okay, right?"
"Yeah" I smiled, watching the two brothers arguing, "Everything's okay"